BOX1

P1000 Rear Differential bad?

KennyW

KennyW

Aug 12, 2021
Douglasville GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Something popping when starting and at release of throttle. It was low on fluid when I got it at 500 Miles. No sign of a leak and just a little movement on the pinion yoke. How do I tell? Wheel bearings and axles seem fine.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Id say axel 9 out of 10 for popping.
you wont know till it brakes or you take it apart on the bench. some play/movement on that yoke is normal

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Adjust your rear diff shifting before anything, and follow this procedure to do it (NOT the one in the service manual.)

Your diff should engage / disengage within 1/2 turn of the wheel.

KennyW

KennyW

Aug 12, 2021
Douglasville GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Adjust your rear diff shifting before anything, and follow this procedure to do it (NOT the one in the service manual.)

Your diff should engage / disengage within 1/2 turn of the wheel.

I did the adjust per your video and it was off but but not by much. The pop and clank are stil. Present. While rear tires out the ground and in turf one tire engage but other wants follow, not sit there. Depressing because it’s running so good. Any ideas on getting a rear diff rebuilt? I believe it stinks from being ran with low fluid for 450 mile. Looking for a good mechanic on the west side of Atlanta

Reactions: Lady01 and JenElio
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I did the adjust per your video and it was off but but not by much. The pop and clank are stil. Present. While rear tires out the ground and in turf one tire engage but other wants follow, not sit there. Depressing because it’s running so good. Any ideas on getting a rear diff rebuilt? I believe it stinks from being ran with low fluid for 450 mile. Looking for a good mechanic on the west side of Atlanta
Mine has always had the other wheel to follow just a little after adjustment. You would have to be really low i mean really low on that diff fluid with some hard riding to have the kind of issue your shooting for. I still think you have axel or axels issue! There hard to pinpoint when its coming from them.
Question, have you drained the diff fluid to see what it looks like as in any harsh discoloration or debris in it? Id bottle it in a clear container when u do it and keep it just in case for testing. Either way, it wont hurt to do and wont cost u much to put new fluid in it . Without seeing it physically, my money is on axels ;)

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine makes a fairly loud POP sometimes when it dis-engsges 2x4 into turf mode.
It's only 1 POP at that time.

I have adjusted the 2x4 lock cable.
I have no plans to look into it more at this time.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

KennyW

KennyW

Aug 12, 2021
Douglasville GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine has always had the other wheel to follow just a little after adjustment. You would have to be really low i mean really low on that diff fluid with some hard riding to have the kind of issue your shooting for. I still think you have axel or axels issue! There hard to pinpoint when its coming from them.
Question, have you drained the diff fluid to see what it looks like as in any harsh discoloration or debris in it? Id bottle it in a clear container when u do it and keep it just in case for testing. Either way, it wont hurt to do and wont cost u much to put new fluid in it . Without seeing it physically, my money is on axels ;)
I am going to change the rear differential oil and see what comes out. Also I’ve watched 3 or videos where they had a broke axle and recorded the sounds and it resemble my sounds. To me that’s good news. Going to get. My ears back bay the source and pinpoint the sound if I can. If it is a axle any reason to go ahead and do both?

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I am going to change the rear differential oil and see what comes out. Also I’ve watched 3 or videos where they had a broke axle and recorded the sounds and it resemble my sounds. To me that’s good news. Going to get. My ears back bay the source and pinpoint the sound if I can. If it is a axle any reason to go ahead and do both?
Imo if you have an OEM axel go bad, Id change both abd keep the good one for a spare. OEM’s are good but pricy and hard to come by right now. If you want to do it for the most part, one time depending on how hard you beat the $hit out of your rig, Id get the SATV rhino 2.0’s. Hit @SuperATV up in a message and he’ll hook you up! Thats what I got after going a cheaper route in the past and Ill never look back. Remember, You get what u pay for with axels.

Reactions: SuperATV and Lady01
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can tell if you have a bad axle by just grabbing it and trying to wiggle it. It shouldn't wiggle. If one of them does, you've found your problem.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!