P1000 Rear Wheel Hub / Axel Nut

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Trying to replace the rear bearing, can not get the hub nut off... Heated it with propane torch, literally standing and bouncing my 240 pound ass on the ratchet handle, and it won't budge. Maybe more heat... This is not a left handed thread is it? Could't see anything in the manual that would indicate such... wondering what I'm not seeing?

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions?

Reactions: Lady01
RockRain

RockRain

Sep 2, 2018
UT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Trying to replace the rear bearing, can not get the hub nut off... Heated it with propane torch, literally standing and bouncing my 240 pound ass on the ratchet handle, and it won't budge. Maybe more heat... This is not a left handed thread is it? Could't see anything in the manual that would indicate such... wondering what I'm not seeing?

The nut is a right handed threads. Have you tried putting a piece of pipe over your ratchet to give you more leverage?

Reactions: toddvdh and Lady01
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Have you tried an impact

Reactions: toddvdh and Lady01
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The nut is a right handed threads. Have you tried putting a piece of pipe over your ratchet to give you more leverage?
I couldn't imagine that it was not right handed thread, but stranger things have happened! I thought about a cheater bar, but don't have one here... I keep the SXS at my cabin, so I have limited tools and such. Probably just going to take it to Honda, let them get me caught ups on the recalls and deal with the bearing. What I thought would be a relatively simple little project has not worked out as such!

Thanks for the help...

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went out and picked up an electric impact, it did the trick! Unfortunately for me, my snap ring pliers are not manly enough to get the snap ring off!! If it's not one thing it is another... I'm taking it to my companies shop next week, they have the tools to do it right. I will reinstall it next weekend when I'm back up here.

Appreciate the replies!!

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had to take one of those nuts off this past weekend in an attempt to grease wheel bearings. I couldn’t break it by hand, so had to break out the ole’ air impact. Got if off and then found out that the wheel bearing greaser that I bought a year ago wouldn’t slide over the axle. Checked around for retorque numbers and found that the nuts should only be torqued to 101 ft/lbs. No idea why they were so tight from the factory.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had to take one of those nuts off this past weekend in an attempt to grease wheel bearings. I couldn’t break it by hand, so had to break out the ole’ air impact. Got if off and then found out that the wheel bearing greaser that I bought a year ago wouldn’t slide over the axle. Checked around for retorque numbers and found that the nuts should only be torqued to 101 ft/lbs. No idea why they were so tight from the factory.
I swear they've managed to torque the 6mm (5mm hex) bolts, used to fasten the color panels and a lot more, to over 300 ft/lbs. :(

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, I torque these things to 101 lbs, but still have to use a bigass breaker bar to get them off.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
... the wheel bearing greaser that I bought a year ago wouldn’t slide over the axle.

So the ID of the greaser was too small? You do need to kind of pick up on the axle to get the greaser on, but I'd guess you would have figured that out.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes t
So the ID of the greaser was too small? You do need to kind of pick up on the axle to get the greaser on, but I'd guess you would have figured that out.
The I.D. of the tool was smaller that the O.D of the axle

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Yes t

The I.D. of the tool was smaller that the O.D of the axle
Yup the one I have is like that too. For me It's not to big of a problem to pull the hub out and grease the bearings this way. It would be nice to have one that would be the proper fit. Be a lot less work LOL

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In case anyone wants a bearing greaser that actually fits their machine, I got mine from these guys. I think it's the best tool in my Pioneer toolkit.

E

EFold

Sep 5, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Removed mine today they were extremely difficult too. I found that I couldn't get them to budge while trying to stand on or hammer on the breaker bar but if I pulled up and bounced it with the suspension it broke free pretty easily. I also put a dab of PB on threads to help free it up while I worked the cotter pin out. It also helps to have the Hillbilly Brake to hold pressure against the axel.
It sure is satisfying to push all that grease in the hub and see it come out fresh the other side. How often are y'all greasing bearings for regular riding? I'm thinking about doing it on my #1 interval with the spark arrestor clean out aince that one is a pretty light service.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How often are y'all greasing bearings for regular riding?

I've been hitting mine with the bearing greaser when I do brakes, which is around 1500-1900 miles. I had a bearing squealing at around 3k because they had never been greased by the previous owner. I didn't even replace that bearing, just got it lubed up,and kept it that way, and it's been fine. Now nearing 10k miles.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I disagree. [My opinion]

These grease tools are cool and all but they give false impressions you are doing good for the life of the bearing.

In most all cases. Including reading above. You are creating problems that will leade to premature failure.

"Packing" the bearing may be a worse than letting it run dry. A packed bearing will increase heat and cause it to push the grease out of the way thus busting open the seals and allowing debris to enter at a higher rate.

While I have greased mine. I usually just put a small amount using a needle to both sides of rollers.

Please do your own research on overgreaseing bearings.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can see where overdoing it could be problematic.

I don't jack mine up with a ton of grease, just about 4 pumps per wheel. The little added risk of stuff coming in because stuff is going out seems negligible to me compared to running too dry.

I like the way the greaser tool gets the grease in, through the split in the race, rather than going at the seals with a needle.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!