P1000 Removing rounded out hex drive bolt - Help!

05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe these?

Screenshot 20210813 130443 Chrome

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used the smallest ez out I had and drilled down center of bolt, it came out with a little effort
Yes,
My picture was meant to illustrate using an easy out. A set of Irwine easy out extractors (5 sizes from 1/8th ") are available and cheap at all hardware stores. Use a good drill bit and drill deep enough for the ez to get a bite.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My next door neighbor is retired from (i.e. sold) his custom 4 WD building and mod shop. Figured I'd go over and get is opinion. He's got a full on home shop and is capable of building pretty much anything. He stopped what he was doing and took it right out. Slotted the top of the screw to a depth of almost 1/8" (the thickness of the curved top) with pointed carbide burr in a die grinder and used an impact driver to remove it screw. Said, which I already knew, the screws Honda is using are, umm, "sub par" screws (he used a different, more colorful, adjective).

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
My next door neighbor is retired from (i.e. sold) his custom 4 WD building and mod shop. Figured I'd go over and get is opinion. He's got a full on home shop and is capable of building pretty much anything. He stopped what he was doing and took it right out. Slotted the top of the screw to a depth of almost 1/8" (the thickness of the curved top) with pointed carbide burr in a die grinder and used an impact driver to remove it screw. Said, which I already knew, the screws Honda is using are, umm, "sub par" screws (he used a different, more colorful, adjective).
I was close.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was close.
Yes you were :). And while that is normally the most expeditious approach, the depression, well or location of some of the fasteners can make that a challenge. Fortunately, the crappy steel these screws are made of is both a curse and a blessing . . . at least they are fairly easy to slot.

BTW, he also recommended the "weld-on nut" approach as the be all end all last approach.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Glad you got it out. I had the same trouble while trying to change the colored panels on my deluxe doors.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Me too, had 3 or 4 of them when installing the rear door storage mod. They really, seriously overtighten those fasteners. Guess with the extra pay to stay at home garbage going on, good help is hard to come by.

advertisement
05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can honestly say that I never had any fastener problems until the 90s. Have been breaking them since. My sons 2012 Recon was the worst I've ever seen. I've had to drill out and tap pretty much every rack and front bumper bolt.

Reactions: rtn001
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Since you weld, the good news is no matter how bad you mess it up you can always add some filler metal and re-drill and tap the hole.
True, but when plastic is involved, welding is the last ditch option, as you are gonna have some melting, even if you're ready with the spray bottle of water. And if you do decide to weld, say after breaking off an "easy out", one might as well hold a nut in place and weld into the center of the nut, welding it to what's left of the fastener. The just use the nut to remove the broken fastener.

On a side note, they've had for years, special bolt extraction electrodes for removing sub-surface broken off studs and bolts, such as sometimes occur on exhaust manifolds. They work remarkably well and are simple to use.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!