P500 Request help on WE front shocks adjustment

Idahotruckman

Idahotruckman

Feb 15, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I messed up. I am embarrassed about it. I may have to change my forum handle from Idahotruckman to HondaForumIdiot.
I really hate to bother anyone but if possible, would someone who has the front Walker Evans shocks on their Pioneer 500 help me by taking a measurement from the top of the exposed thread on the shock body to the bottom of the thread located on the top of the collar that compresses the shock? In other words what is the measurement of the exposed threads? I don't believe it matters, but I have the Big Horn 2.0 size 26 x 9 x 12 on the front. I have the 2020 model.
The YouTube video I watched suggested uncompressing the shocks all the way to the top, and also recommended measuring the height of the Pioneer with the old shocks on and to match the height with the new shocks. Well, I did as recommended and I am at around 1.75" thread showing and am not yet at the same machine height as when the stock shocks were installed. I can't obtain my height without further compressing the shocks.
When I received the shocks it seemed as if I had way too much compression on the springs, as if they were adjusted for a tight pre-load. It was not until uncompressed the shocks and installed them that I remembered speaking with a very helpful person at WE when I bought them who mentioned that he would set the shock preload to a recommended setting. All I had to do was simply install them. I am such an idiot. I can not remember where the original setting was when I unboxed the shocks, and in my excitement, forgot what the WE fellow told me.
Anyway, now that my intelligence and poor memory is established, would someone be so kind to take those measurements for me next time you are close to your Pioneer 500 with the WE front shocks? Also the small black knob on top of the reservoir - where should I set it for casual trail riding with my wife aboard vs aggressive trail riding by myself? Does it control shock damping? Or does it matter? I can't find anything on the forum to specifically answer my question, but then again - I am an idiot.
Thank you in advance.

• Haha
Reactions: J80 and TripleB
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I can check mine for you but if it takes more preload to obtain previous ride height then do it. Keep in mind that it's also going to settle/sag. After you ride a few times you'll probably have to add more.
Did a search to find where I set mine but couldn't find it. I believe it was 2-3 clicks from softest setting on front. 4-5 in the back but I'm carrying some weight back there.

Last edited:
Reactions: J80
Idahotruckman

Idahotruckman

Feb 15, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I can check mine for you but if it takes more preload to obtain previous ride height then do it. Keep in mind that it's also going to settle/sag. After you ride a few times you'll probably have to add more.
Did a search to find where I set mine but couldn't find it. I believe it was 2-3 clicks from softest setting on front. 4-5 in the back but I'm carrying some weight back there.
Thank you Trigger. That's exactly what I needed to know. Really appreciate your knowledge and intuition on the Pioneer 500. I could afford a plush riding machine but I like to ride tight trails. Just trying to make this little guy suitable for what I need. I will probably get the back shocks at some point.

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
A cheap thing on the old dirt track cars was to put a zip tie on the shaft of the shock. This would tell you the amount of travel on the shock. If you bottom it out on your normal riding tighten the spring load adjuster for more preload. and on the knob set it to the middle. Take it for a ride the set it to high take same ride. Then low. And adjust it to what you like for where you like it. You may find you like to stiffen it up for longer gravel road trips and soften it for tight trails.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Have 2-1/4in.of exposed thread above the locking ring to achieve same skid to floor height as stock schocks.
This is after using & the springs have settled. ( I'm running 250lbs. springs in front )
Damper is on 4th ( out of 10 ) click from soft.

Before you forget again Order the Rear Shocks you'll be glad you did.

FYI : You Have a Excelent Memory ( you only forgot it Leaks )

Idahotruckman

Idahotruckman

Feb 15, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
A cheap thing on the old dirt track cars was to put a zip tie on the shaft of the shock. This would tell you the amount of travel on the shock. If you bottom it out on your normal riding tighten the spring load adjuster for more preload. and on the knob set it to the middle. Take it for a ride the set it to high take same ride. Then low. And adjust it to what you like for where you like it. You may find you like to stiffen it up for longer gravel road trips and soften it for tight trails.
Thanks for the tip! I will try it.

Idahotruckman

Idahotruckman

Feb 15, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Have 2-1/4in.of exposed thread above the locking ring to achieve same skid to floor height as stock schocks.
This is after using & the springs have settled. ( I'm running 250lbs. springs in front )
Damper is on 4th ( out of 10 ) click from soft.

Before you forget again Order the Rear Shocks you'll be glad you did.

FYI : You Have a Excelent Memory ( you only forgot it Leaks )
Thank you. I believe I have weaker spring tension in my springs than you do, but 2 1/4 sounds about what it was when I received the shocks. And Yes, my memory leaks. Have to remember that.
I do want to order the rear shocks, and can probably afford it, but my better half is beginning to believe my inexpensive little toy isn't so inexpensive anymore. I best wait until I take her down a really bumpy trail at a high rate of speed, and then say, " Sweetheart, do you suppose we should order the rear shocks now?"
By the way - I lucked out when ordering. They were just beginning to set up for the Pioneer 500 shock builds at Walker Evans. What could have been 8 - 12 weeks turned into two weeks from order date to receiving date. Great service from those folks!

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
The rear shocks are just as important as the fronts and possibly more. They control sway (especially with swaybar removed) and the ride control is what your butt and spine feel. Fronts are great as they absorb the jolts, square edge hits and improve steering feel. The rears soften up a long day.....

Idahotruckman

Idahotruckman

Feb 15, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
The rear shocks are just as important as the fronts and possibly more. They control sway (especially with swaybar removed) and the ride control is what your butt and spine feel. Fronts are great as they absorb the jolts, square edge hits and improve steering feel. The rears soften up a long day.....
Ok. You convinced me. I will order the back ones today. Man, I love this forum, but it is costing me money! Ignorance WAS bliss! Seriously, I have a vertebrate knocked and twisted out of place, and back and hip hurt most days. Back support is crucial. So I'm buying the shocks for medical reasons! 😉

Idahotruckman

Idahotruckman

Feb 15, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I have yet to install my Bilstein 5100's on my 2017 Silverado Dually that have been sitting in the garage for two months. Guess it shows where my priorities are.

Idahotruckman

Idahotruckman

Feb 15, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I have yet to install my Bilstein 5100's on my 2017Silverado Dually that have been sitting in the garage for two months. Guess it shows where my priorities are.
I have the same shocks. Fronts are here and still waiting on the rears to be delivered.
Good choice. Had them on all my trucks. Tow heavy and they last.

Reactions: trigger
P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
I-T-M
For those with Back Problems !!
Along with WE Shocks front & rear.
RZR 1000 BUCKET SEATS -- installed in P500 --Help keep the Back Stable -- Less rock & roll = Less Pain & Discomfort.

Trigger & I have both done RZR seat Conversion each use in Different Base Mounting Methods. ( Others have added bucket seats )

Trigger's sets 1in. further back than mine. ( doesnot use OEM mounts )
Check Post ----( Buckets in a P5 ) for Triggers method.

Pappyo method ::Uses OEM Mounting Points & 1 existing Bolt hole & Sets 1in lower than Trigger's
I have added Automotive --SEAT HEATERS -- soothing & comfort. ( all wiring is in the ammo box under Console )
RZR decals removevvvd for improved appearance.
Check Post for pictures & method ---- ( P500 RZR SEATS for Sale ) ----- have been sold was a 2nd set I did.

Maybe the Wife will Buy these for Her & let you use them. ( She has a guy to install them right ) up to you to sell the idea.

FYI : The Founders of this Forum based it on :: Helping Members Lower there Net Worth.

20201117 160520 20201117 160426 20200725 123016 20200725 123759

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!