Bigtee

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2017
Grayson, KY
Ownership

1. 520

2. 1000-5
What kind of roller fairlead are you all using with synthetic rope?

I’m mounting a Terra 45SR on a Strongmade bumper, it comes with an aluminum fairlead. I plan to get a snow blade before next winter and would like to get a roller fairlead for the synthetic rope. Online searches only come up with replacement rollers.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I thought one was supposed to use a hawse fairlead for synthetic?

Bigtee

Bigtee

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2017
Grayson, KY
Ownership

1. 520

2. 1000-5
Supposedly roller fairlead are less stressful on synthetic rope in uses like a snow plow where they are used a lot. Hawse fairleads will wear the rope with continua use.

Reactions: Coeus
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Supposedly roller fairlead are less stressful on synthetic rope in uses like a snow plow where they are used a lot. Hawse fairleads will wear the rope with continua use.
Thoughts on running a strap for plow purposes? I was considering doing that for my setup just to save wear on the rope.

Reactions: Pilgrim and Bigtee
hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
Thoughts on running a strap for plow purposes? I was considering doing that for my setup just to save wear on the rope.
I'm usen a strap for plowing. Just get a cheap one, works great. Can make one yourself with an old seat belt strap or whatever too. Sew a hook on one end, other side wrapped around the drum with a lil duct tape to hold it on.
I take my synthetic rope off the drum every year to give it a good wash to remove dirt etc, only takes a couple min to swap on the strap.

Bigtee

Bigtee

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2017
Grayson, KY
Ownership

1. 520

2. 1000-5
That might be the best way to do it. The rope would definitely last longer if cleaned good yearly.

Thanks for the input.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
My KFI synthetic came with a roller fairlead. I swapped out to a hawse after hearing the horror stories of the rope getting wedged in the rollers on a semi sideways pull. I have noticed more wear though using the hawse when plowing.

Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
Agreed! That is happening to mine from this winters usage!

Reactions: trigger
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had enough room on my winch drum to leave the synthetic rope and put a flat strap on for plowing. I picked up a 12' tow strap from harbor freight and just cut it in half for 2 straps. In 3 seasons of plowing I haven't broke the strap and it doesn't rats nest in the winch when you let too much out. Per the original question I did use a roller on my synthetic rope on my 700 but I didn't use my winch much other then plowing.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
BC784428 E938 4008 AEC7 191F20E17F11
I tried roller and hawser and in the end came up with this and I leave on year round. Only drawback is if you need to have a snatch block and are forced to have the block up close. So far has worked great, my strap was longer and I cut it down and sewed the attachment loop in the end and tied a bowline to secure to winch line. Nice thing I like about this is that the Winch line now does not cut down into the spooled line on the drum when using for snow blade a lot. Second the webbing protects the synthetic line from sun, mud and debris getting into line. Lastly saves significant wear on the end of line from abrasion as a result of plowing.
Cheers,

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I plow with a Warn setup on my 2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 ESP. I've used a roller fairlead with a synthetic rope on it for ~7 years now with zero issues. The first year I had it, I left the hawse on and the rope broke several times that winter. It's never broken with the roller fairlead. I would consider going with a strap, but since I have no issues now, why bother.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!