P500 Roof/Airflow

S

Sledge

I am considering installing a roof on my P5, now that I know I have adequate clearance loading into my cargo trailer.

Probably a Moose roof, as I like the sleek, clean look of it, in comparison to the Honda roof.

I've had NO seat-heat issues, up to 90+ degrees, and don't want any. If a roof will introduce such, or increase dust intrusion, I don't want one.

Most of y'all who have roofs also have windshields, and I have no interest whatsoever in a windshield. Wouldn't take one as a gift.

So...will a roof alone cause heat or dust problems, or do those only come with the windshield/roof combination?

Will a roof alone significantly affect how air flows to/within the cab?

Thoughts on various available roofs most welcome as well.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Honda roof and don't have the seat heat problem. Get plenty of air.

Reactions: Sledge
ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I feel the windshield is more of a heat issue than the roof. Just my thoughts

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'm agreeing with @ncred02 here. It seems that people who don't run a windshield or back window do not notice the seat heat. Since I put the back panel on, I absolutely have to run my windshield tilted open this time of year. If I close the windshield, the heat literally blows up from between the seats. I open the windshield, and it stops. I'm thinking the heat will be a benefit to me plowing snow this winter. :)

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
I am considering installing a roof on my P5, now that I know I have adequate clearance loading into my cargo trailer.

Joe

I'll +3 the windshield causing the heat. I really like the roof, it helps keep debri out of the cab and shades you. when I put on my windshield I really noticed the heat in the cab.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'll +3 the windshield causing the heat. I really like the roof, it helps keep debri out of the cab and shades you. when I put on my windshield I really noticed the heat in the cab.
I couldn't agree that the windshield is causing the heat. The heat is coming from the engine exhaust up through the gap in the seat where the seat belts buckle up. The roof and windshield may allow the heat to loiter longer than it would without them however. The roof keeps the sun off of you which certainly is a heat factor and I completely agree with you about its importance.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm agreeing with @ncred02 here. It seems that people who don't run a windshield or back window do not notice the seat heat. Since I put the back panel on, I absolutely have to run my windshield tilted open this time of year. If I close the windshield, the heat literally blows up from between the seats. I open the windshield, and it stops. I'm thinking the heat will be a benefit to me plowing snow this winter. :)
My ride was naked the first year and a half I had it and mama always noticed the heat coming up between the seatbelt buckles and has always stuffed a large towel down there in an attempt to keep it off her derrière.

Reactions: ehart814
bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
I couldn't agree that the windshield is causing the heat. The heat is coming from the engine exhaust up through the gap in the seat where the seat belts buckle up. The roof and windshield may allow the heat to loiter longer than it would without them however. The roof keeps the sun off of you which certainly is a heat factor and I completely agree with you about its importance.

No man, that windshield is definitely generating heat like a furnace. My windshield is a fresnel lens.:D

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
No man, that windshield is definitely generating heat like a furnace. My windshield is a fresnel lens.:D
Like a magnifying glass burning a dot on your chest!!

Reactions: joeymt33
D

Deleted member 3748

Probably a Moose roof, as I like the sleek, clean look of it, in comparison to the Honda roof.

I'm also considering the Moose roof because I like the price. I'm wondering if it's solid enough to hold a light bar without it jiggling around. I have the soft top and a windshield now. Seat heat was an issue until I added insulation under the seat. If it's warm in the cab, I tip out the windshield and enjoy the breeze. :cool:

Reactions: webby and Sledge
advertisement
S

Sledge

I'm also considering the Moose roof because I like the price. I'm wondering if it's solid enough to hold a light bar without it jiggling around. I have the soft top and a windshield now. Seat heat was an issue until I added insulation under the seat. If it's warm in the cab, I tip out the windshield and enjoy the breeze. :cool:
I'd love the soft top if I didn't intentionally use the cage as a brush deflector, but I do, all the time.

Don't reckon it would stand up to such abuse for long, especially in thorny mesquite. I'd love to roof and unroof on a whim, though.

A ragtop P5...

Sure am grateful to learn that the windshield doesn't just magically create the heat, and that the heat actually comes from the engine/exhaust. Can't get that kind of insightful information just anywhere.:rolleyes:

Anyway, it seems that the roof alone won't cause much change to in-cab airflow, and I am grateful for all the input.

Joe

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The tip out windshield does seem to be an advantage to improving airflow when the mercurys rising. I don't see why the Moose wouldn't support a light bar.

S

Sledge

The tip out windshield does seem to be an advantage to improving airflow when the mercurys rising. I don't see why the Moose wouldn't support a light bar.
It's fairly soft plastic. PistonHonda's concerns come from actual knowledge of the product.

As compared to airy, uninformed bloviation on every damn topic.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Deleted member 3748
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It's fairly soft plastic. PistonHonda's concerns come from actual knowledge of the product.

As compared to airy, uninformed bloviation on every damn topic.

Joe
@PistonHonda asked a question that I answered. Do you have anything constructive to add, or might you be able to answer his question?

S

Sledge

No Sir. I don't pretend to know what I don't know.

Just curious though...do you have Moose roofs at all your properties?

Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
No Sir. I don't pretend to know what I don't know.

Just curious though...do you have Moose roofs at all your properties?

Joe
Joe, you know I use the Honda roof. Anything constructive yet?

Reactions: Cowboy22
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Btw, the Honda roof extends lower in the back providing more protection from rain and it has a built in drip edge on the front that helps keep rain from pouring down on the dash.

Reactions: Cowboy22
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!