P1000 School me on toy haulers

Buckshotaz

Buckshotaz

Mar 1, 2016
Arizona
Thinking about a toy hauler that will allow me to haul my P1K-5

What should I look out for? Is 5th wheel or bumper pull better?

Looking at retirement in a few years and want to do some traveling and I know I could rent a bunch of motel rooms for what I would have in a toy hauler, but we have dogs that we would bring and motels don't work with the dogs

My plan is to do an Arizona to Alaska trip and do some exploring along the way

If you have any thoughts, please jump in and tell me about your experiences

Reactions: Bpaul and JTW
Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A lot of the issues that THs had in the early days have been addressed so they are much nicer now days. Gas fumes were a major problem until they separated the 'garage' from the rest of the coach. As far as bumper pull or 5th wheel, once you get over 10k pounds, I would definitely go with a 5th wheel. A 5th wheel is much more comfortable towing especially for those longer distances.
Make sure to measure the height of the garage door, these things are rediculously high.

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I have a small toy hauler; a Work n Play 18EC. Momma and I like it for the short trips we do. Then I get it in the fall for hunting. With a P5 in the back it's 7,200 lbs so do yourself a favour and be sure to have a modern diesel truck. I have a '13 GMC 2500 Duramax. The engine brake is essential IMHO.
Al

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Whatever you decide, you cant over buy a truck!!!
3/4 ton minimum, dually if trailer over 10k. We have a 2500 Serria D-Max,but i think any of the big 3 is a good choice. Towing through the mountians of Colorado is almost a pleasure with the right tow vehicle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I really don't have any experience with toy haulers, but have done a lot of towing over the years. Some gooseneck, some bumper pull. In general, unless you plan to buy a small one, I'd surely go 5th wheel on a larger one. It's just going to pull that much better, safer, and handle weight distribution so much better.

R

RCorley

Feb 27, 2017
Globe, Az
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Chris , we have a bumper pull camp trailer and a living quarters gooseneck horse trailer. Pulled with a 6.7L Dodge diesel 3/4 T.
Like the gooseneck because when not using you can invert the ball and can still use the bed of the truck -- multipurpose.
Highly recommend you get airbags to handle increased tongue weight. About $650 installed and work great to level out your tow rig.
Bob C.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Looking at retirement in a few years and want to do some traveling and I know I could rent a bunch of motel rooms for what I would have in a toy hauler, but we have dogs that we would bring and motels don't work with the dogs

Three questions need answered first. What is your budget to spend, and how many people will you need to sleep, what do you have to tow with, it's capacity and are you willing to upgrade tow vehicle.

Main thing is you will want a 13' or longer garage, be very careful of any with a 2nd bathroom in garage as may impact width blocking off floor space needed to park the SXS.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have a Carbon 5th wheel with a bath in the garage. No issues with the pioneer in the back. I have to labs that we travel with and the rubber floor in the back is great for there food and 1 sloppy drinker lol. It's also great for there creates. It 38' and I pull it with a 2015 F-350 diesel single rear wheel. No issues. The hockey puck plugs in the bed are nice so that when u pull the 5th wheel hitch you don't have rails in the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ridinfool and sharp
franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Problem being that my P1000 deluxe is to high and wide for stock toy haulers, ended up with enclosed 7 X 14 ft trailer.

Reactions: JTW
rbtnt

rbtnt

Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Talon X
Make sure axles, tires and hitch are rated for the tow hauler with a 1000 and gear loaded. I have seen some axles and tires where the manufacturer must have thought the buyers were only going to haul a dirt bike or two.

Buckshotaz

Buckshotaz

Mar 1, 2016
Arizona
All very helpful answers. Once I tell my wife we need to upgrade the F-250 to a diesel model the mother of all s&$t storms will start!

If you don't hear from me again, it has been nice being part of of the Pioneer community

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All very helpful answers. Once I tell my wife we need to upgrade the F-250 to a diesel model the mother of all s&$t storms will start!

If you don't hear from me again, it has been nice being part of of the Pioneer community
Just tell her it's all in the name of safety!

Reactions: JTW
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I just went through that last week! Didn't need a diesel. But they are so cool cant wait to tow with it.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
20160915 091916
this is what I have. Any 3/4 ton or the correct set up 1500 can pull it. Dry weight is 5500lbs with a tongue weight of 550lbs. A new one of these are around $20,000. Mines an 08 camper is 20' with a full kitchen and bath. 3 beds. Ive seen some newer ones on Craigslist for around 10 - 12 grand. I really like it.

J

Jshell3

View attachment 37646 this is what I have. Any 3/4 ton or the correct set up 1500 can pull it. Dry weight is 5500lbs with a tongue weight of 550lbs. A new one of these are around $20,000. Mines an 08 camper is 20' with a full kitchen and bath. 3 beds. Ive seen some newer ones on Craigslist for around 10 - 12 grand. I really like it.
I've never seen one like that. How do you load the P1k?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!