SLOWPOKE goes short course racing

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well... The HMF fuel tuner I ordered last week didn't show up so I wasn't able to make it to the track for practice/tuning like I wanted to this weekend. Instead I went out to the trailer and thought about what I could do to remove more weight. It's amazing what you can accomplish with a Sawzall and a hole saw in just a few minutes. 😁

I cut more off the back and sides of the bed, Swiss cheesed the parts I couldn't cut off and then went full retard and cut the top portions of my nerf bars off.

View attachment 300213

View attachment 300214

In aviation, these are jokingly called "heavying holes". Ostensibly made to lighten the structure, then, as the story goes, the structure has to be reinforced to account for the weakening caused by the holes, which adds a lot more weight than what they started with. :)

Edit: Bummer, I wrote the above before reading of your flip and damage. Very sorry that happened. Hang in there, as I know you will. We are expecting great things!

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow, nothing else was bent up or busted in the suspension or drivetrain?

Reactions: Squeegee
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Wow, nothing else was bent up or busted in the suspension or drivetrain?

The rack might be tweaked but I won't know until I pull it out and inspect it. I ran the main after the crash and didn't feel anything odd except for the 2wd part.

I'm happy to report that my chassis/cage came out of the crash unscathed. Guess I did a good job when I built it!😁

20211024 102038

20211024 102046
20211024 102101
20211024 102136

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What's the chances you could do a helmet or cab cam for us sometime? I'd like to see/hear the six speed and the shifter buttons banging through the turns. Are you on them often, or letting sport mode do most of the work?

Reactions: Squeegee and CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
What's the chances you could do a helmet or cab cam for us sometime? I'd like to see/hear the six speed and the shifter buttons banging through the turns. Are you on them often, or letting sport mode do most of the work?

I run the car in "modified" sport mode.

Before I got the new trans tune I ran it in "normal" sport mode and had to downshift a few times per lap to keep it in the power. With the new tune I very rarely touch the shift buttons and just concentrate on driving.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Did the frame bend enough to bust the diff?

No, Frame isn't bent anywhere except the rack mount. Diff broke and rack mount bent when I landed on the RF at full throttle and full right lock. The shock load sheared the u joint ears off and when the driveshaft tried passing the broken yolk on the diff it snapped the case.

Last edited:
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Kind of off topic but...... Holy crap that front differential is heavy!!! This winter I need to get that thing to a machine shop and have them shave a bunch of weight off the case. I bet I could run only half the ring gear bolts and still be fine doing what I do with my car.

Reactions: Squeegee
Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
I should probably also mention that I'm running against RS-1's and YXZ's that all have built motors, with a stock Talon motor with nothing more than a PwrTune intake kit, their generic tune and an HMF exhaust. I don't even have launch control. Those guys in my class are screwed once I get a real race motor built. 🤣

The lack of HP vs the other 1000cc machines is more than made up for by eliminating the belt drive and going with a 6spd clutch style transmission. I freakin love this car!!

View attachment 261179
congrats on the good runs. hard core cutting up a new machine but it sure looks like fun:)

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Regarding your weight reduction, I can't remember if you still have the stock battery or not. The stock lead acid battery is 15.7lbs according to specs I recently saw, and an equivalent lithium battery is just under 4 lbs.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!