SLOWPOKE goes short course racing

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Regarding your weight reduction, I can't remember if you still have the stock battery or not. The stock lead acid battery is 15.7lbs according to specs I recently saw, and an equivalent lithium battery is just under 4 lbs.

I'm still running the stock battery for now and it's moved to the right side next to the engine.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been running this Shorai LiFePO4 in my Honda S2000 sports car for over 5 years, no problems. It happens to be the same version they recommend for the Honda Pioneer 1000. LFX36A3-BS12. Rated 560 amps cranking and "Pb equivalent" 36 AH. Weighs just 4.55 pounds.*

*Since Lithium battery's have a flatter voltage discharge curve, and can be discharged down to 20% and lower, while Pb's will suffer damage if taken below 50%, this is kind of a sneaky way to up the spec claim . . . but the battery flat does work well!

Disclaimer: Haven't used on my sxs. If you do order one, be sure to get the Shorai charger as well, as it allows battery storage even with parasitic drains on your equipment, and keeps the battery happy.

Shorai Battery

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm still waiting on tracking info for the Honda parts I ordered from the dealer..... I'm starting to get nervous. Last race is next weekend and I'm going to be one unhappy racer if I have to show up and drive around in 2wd at the back of the pack again just to maintain 2nd in points for the year. 😔

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm still waiting on tracking info for the Honda parts I ordered from the dealer..... I'm starting to get nervous. Last race is next weekend and I'm going to be one unhappy racer if I have to show up and drive around in 2wd at the back of the pack again just to maintain 2nd in points for the year. 😔
Did you get our parts

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
That blows. I'd send you the diff out of mine if I had a Talon.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Did you get our parts

Not yet but they will be here Tuesday according to the tracking #. 😎

My wife and I had a lot of fun talking to you and your husband on the phone the other night. We both said we wished you guys lived closer so we could invite you over for dinner! Again, I can't thank you enough for helping me out with the rack parts, VERY much appreciated!!

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Oh, and if anybody is questioning how strong an RB3 billet rack is, check out this picture....

20211030 194811

I landed on my RF tire at full lock from about 3-4ft in the air and the force of the hit got transfered through the tie rod into the rack. The hit was so hard it pushed the rack body up on the right side and basically stamped the shape of the rack into the frame mount. The only damage to the rack was a chipped pinion and rack gear. Nothing else bent or broke!! Because of the strength of that RB3 billet rack I was able to finish the heat race and run the main without issue. Had the stock steering rack still been in the car when that crash happened there is no doubt in my mind that it would have exploded into a million pieces all over the track and I would have been out for the rest of the day.

The RB3 Honda Talon steering racks are the real deal. 😎

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Did you have Jamie's brace on previously?

Yes, this is the before picture. I honestly don't think that thing does much to prevent the mount from flexing or bending. I just think it adds extra surface area and clamping force so that the rack studs don't wallow out the holes. I have a great idea on how I can brace that mount the right way but I'm going to have to wait until the season is over so I can tear it down to the bare chassis and do some fabricating.

20211024 141042

H

HondaTech

Yes, this is the before picture. I honestly don't think that thing does much to prevent the mount from flexing or bending. I just think it adds extra surface area and clamping force so that the rack studs don't wallow out the holes. I have a great idea on how I can brace that mount the right way but I'm going to have to wait until the season is over so I can tear it down to the bare chassis and do some fabricating.

View attachment 302380

Id be interested in how much ours has flexed since adding it as well.

We just added the power steering kit Jamie sells for this next race. My boss said you can turn it with one finger with the wheels on the ground.

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not yet but they will be here Tuesday according to the tracking #. 😎

My wife and I had a lot of fun talking to you and your husband on the phone the other night. We both said we wished you guys lived closer so we could invite you over for dinner! Again, I can't thank you enough for helping me out with the rack parts, VERY much appreciated!!
We enjoyed it to! Thank you for shout out!!!!

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
The Honda parts showed up yesterday! Front differential is back together and I brought the new driveshaft to work this morning to tack weld the caps. Rack parts from RB3 are scheduled to be delivered today so I should have this all wrapped up tonight and ready for racing on Friday! 😁

20211103 000039

Spent some time last night making the car look less crashed. Considering how pushed in the nose was I don't think it looks all that bad now...

20211103 000253

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Id be interested in how much ours has flexed since adding it as well.

We just added the power steering kit Jamie sells for this next race. My boss said you can turn it with one finger with the wheels on the ground.
Assuming this is the Epowersteering.com kit?

Make sure you tie the low amperage power to the eps ecu to something with a 20 amp fuse.

if that fuse goes mid race you have zero assist or bump steer restriction.

my 15 amp fuse popped and it almost broke my shoulder. (Portals do that)

Reactions: Smitty335
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great news @SLOWPOKE693 !

Go get that 1st this weekend.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice work. You do have a chance to still get first overall, right?

Reactions: Squeegee

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!