P1000 Smallest Trailer Size

J

JTW

I’ve got a 14 x 7’ aluminum single axle trailer and love it.. buuuut in the back of my mind was always that thought of losing a tire running thru the mountains. So if you’re planning on long hauls, you might want to consider a tandem axle.

Reactions: TimG
Tuco69

Tuco69

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2017
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If buying, a 7x12 would be the smallest I’d get. Enough room left for a small storage box and fuel cans.

T

TXshooter3

Jul 23, 2019
Dallas, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know the info must be here be I just wanted to double check with everyone. Stock size for the 1000-5 is 63"W and 116.5". Prudence tells me that a 6x10 should be fine as long as the load capacity measures up. I will probably only trailer it up to the ranch and then use the trailer occasionally with the Pioneer for hauling materials up and down some hills. So, I guess I'm looking for the smallest foot print that will fit the Pioneer and then not be to heavy or wide for using with the Pioneer. Any thought or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
I just bought an Aluma 7712h tilt trailer and it fits perfect. The trailer is 77"x12' so I only have a foot of space in front and back. That's enough for a gas can and a tool box. I'm sure you could fit it on to a 10' but it would be tight. The Aluma wont rust and I can move it around by hand.

Reactions: nitzo and Tuco69
tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just bought an Aluma 7712h tilt trailer and it fits perfect. The trailer is 77"x12' so I only have a foot of space in front and back. That's enough for a gas can and a tool box. I'm sure you could fit it on to a 10' but it would be tight. The Aluma wont rust and I can move it around by hand.
I have the exact same trailer - used it today- and it's the best trailer I've ever had (currently have 3). I assume you have the hydraulic assist that makes for very easy on and off. With the exception of the tie down straps, you can load and unload in in about a minute.

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recently bought one of those standard black utility trailers with the angle iron sides, wood bed, you know the one that everyone has. It's a 6x12, 15" wheels. I like the 12' length instead of 10' because I use those Erickson wheel chocks/tie downs and with the 12' bed I can strap the Pioneer down a bit back from the front of the trailer making my tongue weight just right. Also the rails on the trailer are low enough so my doors open perfectly and I can just step right out and down to the ground. I paid $1500 otd, spare mounted, foot for jack and tongue lock all included.

Damn nice trailer.

Last edited:
Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
My 700-2 on a 6x10 Aluma tilt.
Perfect size IMO.
IMG 20200902 150739

Reactions: TripleB and Mudwing
tromano1706

tromano1706

Jun 21, 2020
Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I picked up a 6 x 14 single axle on Facebook for a pretty good price and tow the P1K and smaller ATV no problem. I redid the bearings and lights on the trailer immediately after getting it to alleviate my OCD. I would like to have a double axle eventually but I've towed 8+ hours a bunch of times now with no real issues (1 flat tire as I pulled into my destination once which I consider great timing). I know this is at the limits for that trailer but it works great! The only thing I strongly recommend is the over the tire straps to keep it tied down to the trailer safely. I had nightmares with regular straps and these are so much easier. I use the winch up front to a D-ring and D-rings on the trailer for the tire straps.

IMG 4999

Reactions: Mudwing
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you!

Any advice or learnings from using the 5 1/2’?
I built a 5x9 back in the 80's to haul wood and a 700 series Bobcat. built it heavy with 4x2 tubing, steel deck and a 6,000 lb. axle. didn't use it much the last 35 years and when I got my P1k5 I thought I could use it for the SxS. Wrong. The length was barely OK but I ended up widening the deck out to 65". The trailer worked OK, but I had to load the SxS on backwards to get enough tongue weight. When I put System 3 14x7 (5-2) wheels on the Honda with 28x10x14 tires on it, after backing onto the trailer, Had to wiggle the front tires to get them to drop down inside the channel. Worked fine but was heavier than I wanted. Ended up buying a 6812 Aluma trailer with a bi-fold ramp. It's much easier to load now and with the tongue weight right I can fold the ramp down onto the deck and it clears the SxS tires, reducing wind drag. Added Erickson tie downs for all four wheels and cut down loading and unloading time by about 2/3's.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!