P1000m5 So what will you add to your P1K-5?

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know that at least a few here have already laid eyes or hands on the actual machine. I would like to ask if you know or had noticed on the P1k-5 if the rear portion of the roll cage would bolt off. Say for instance I had a bed liner in and wanted to haul a bunch of firewood. It would be nice to quickly uninstall the back roll cage to facilitate loading? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Tuesday of next week is final confirmation on my new P1K-5 Deluxe Red is on the way.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I know that at least a few here have already laid eyes or hands on the actual machine. I would like to ask if you know or had noticed on the P1k-5 if the rear portion of the roll cage would bolt off. Say for instance I had a bed liner in and wanted to haul a bunch of firewood. It would be nice to quickly uninstall the back roll cage to facilitate loading? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Tuesday of next week is final confirmation on my new P1K-5 Deluxe Red is on the way.

To answer you question, yes it is possible to unbolt and remove the rear section of the ROPS on a P1000-5, but I am sure everyone would officially caution against it.

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To answer you question, yes it is possible to unbolt and remove the rear section of the ROPS on a P1000-5, but I am sure everyone would officially caution against it.
Thanks so much for a factual answer as well as good advice. I have said this before but I am so amazed at the quality of folks this forum represents. Good to know Y'all, and thanks again Jackal.

Reactions: bobbyhill
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I would love to have a spare tire carrier like RMP had for the P700...hint hint

Reactions: JACKAL and Hondasxs
ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

My 700-4 is a wood hauling machine, the roll cage helps stacking wood in back, instead of making a pyramid you can stack straight up. Adding the roof helped more cause I could pack it tight up under the roof. I too have a P1K-5 on its way and the load leveling suspension will be put to the test.

I added the hard mid-panel in back last winter and was pissed that I lost about 4 in of room and didnt like stacking tight to the back glass. During a Honda survey about the Pioneer I was e-mailed, I suggested a headache rack similar to trucks for behind the rear glass. Keep the cage on, Keep the nets on, and stack from the back.

Reactions: bobbyhill
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
My 700-4 is a wood hauling machine, the roll cage helps stacking wood in back, instead of making a pyramid you can stack straight up. Adding the roof helped more cause I could pack it tight up under the roof. I too have a P1K-5 on its way and the load leveling suspension will be put to the test.

I added the hard mid-panel in back last winter and was pissed that I lost about 4 in of room and didnt like stacking tight to the back glass. During a Honda survey about the Pioneer I was e-mailed, I suggested a headache rack similar to trucks for behind the rear glass. Keep the cage on, Keep the nets on, and stack from the back.

I bet it wouldn't be too hard to make your own headache rack, get 4 clamps the proper diameter to fit the ROPS tubing and have some expanded metal, steel or aluminum cut to the width & height you need by the metal shop then just run some bolt through the expanded metal at each corner where the clamp mounts. When not stacked with wood you can see out and when stacked full everything is protected from the front.

Material like this:
9170 1987 pickup diy headache rack 20130908 193735

Reactions: Hondasxs
N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5

That's exactly the type of answer I was looking for. Someone just like me. My P1k-5 will be hauling wood all winter. Hearing from someone already using the ROPS as a benefit vs a problem removes any reservation I had about getting the 5 vs the 3. I have two additional questions current 700 owner may be helpful with. First one of the first protection items I have been considering is the bed liner to protect when loading with wood. Yes or a waste? Second I need to know more about UHMW skids. Who sells these things, where do I look? Thanks....

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I love the Honda drop in bed liner. Mine is scratched and beat up but the seats underneath are perfect!

I went with SSS UHMW skid plate. I've seen a lot of pics of people with sticks stuck through the floor board. That would be a pain to change or repair and its dangerous. Be ready to drop some major cash for it though. UHMW is pretty much indestructible. It's also very heavy and lowers your center of gravity.

Joe

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I love the Honda drop in bed liner. Mine is scratched and beat up but the seats underneath are perfect!

I went with SSS UHMW skid plate. I've seen a lot of pics of people with sticks stuck through the floor board. That would be a pain to change or repair and its dangerous. Be ready to drop some major cash for it though. UHMW is pretty much indestructible. It's also very heavy and lowers your center of gravity.

Joe
Great. The liner will be ordered with my machine. I did visit SSS website and they look great. I guess I will have to see how long before they or someone come out with a full protection package for the P1k. When they do I will absolutely drop the doe (dough?). Thanks.

advertisement
B

BULLDOG6

Jun 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Big Red
Tough stuff, it's used on materials conveyor belts and in high abrasion environments. It's slick it doesn't "stick" to anything and nothing will stick to it.

At Windrock I was sliding across rocks and roots and everything else and had NO damage to my unit. Some had crushed rails and had ripped their Honda skids loose or bent them in severely.

Where I ride there are lots of rocks and roots and tree stumps. The plastic deflects and then goes back to shape where as the metal stays bent.

UHMW is def the way to go.

I think with the added weight of the 1000-5 I'm going to up the thickness on mine to ½".
So in rough terrain it would not be good to get the Honda skid plate, and does what you have cover more underbody area?

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So in rough terrain it would not be good to get the Honda skid plate, and does what you have cover more underbody area?
Take a look at Jackal's P500 postings. He has the full underbody protection posted with pictures. Looks great and seems to cover even more area. I'm going that way instead of Honda's aluminum. I actually wrote to SSS this afternoon asking about the P1K and they replied...on Sunday to boot. Says a lot about the company to me.

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm getting to be a regular jabber box on these forums...sorry. I have another question and looking over the threads I though this would be as good a place as any. I am buying my Honda primarily as a working machine. Sure it is great that it has so much more to offer but in that I will be using it this fall and winter to haul my heat in the way of firewood, and the cargo area is not all that large on it's own. Does anyone use what they think is the perfect trailer to pull behind our P1K-5's through ruts and over logs and up steep and muddy slopes? I have looked long and hard and the best I am coming up with is pretty good maybe....any experience and thoughts would be another example of the great help these forums have been for me. I see it as kind of an add on or addition to my new Honda.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I'm getting to be a regular jabber box on these forums...sorry. I have another question and looking over the threads I though this would be as good a place as any. I am buying my Honda primarily as a working machine. Sure it is great that it has so much more to offer but in that I will be using it this fall and winter to haul my heat in the way of firewood, and the cargo area is not all that large on it's own. Does anyone use what they think is the perfect trailer to pull behind our P1K-5's through ruts and over logs and up steep and muddy slopes? I have looked long and hard and the best I am coming up with is pretty good maybe....any experience and thoughts would be another example of the great help these forums have been for me. I see it as kind of an add on or addition to my new Honda.

@Ned Don't apologize we love active forum member both with questions and answers, sometimes I learn things about a topic by researching an answer I don't know about so everybody wins.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Mine covered the entire under belly all the way out to the side rails.
I wish Honda made a UHMW set but it'd be $1500 if they did.

Reactions: JACKAL
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

In a year of having it and beating on it... Severely at Windrock the slight waves at the very edge where it would pound on rock ledges is the only damage I had. There were several people whose rails were FLAT after Windrock.

Ef4af7b4d65b73a8ef4bba6cb5fc9f32

Reactions: JACKAL and BULLDOG6
blkbird305

blkbird305

Jul 16, 2015
Mine covered the entire under belly all the way out to the side rails.
I wish Honda made a UHMW set but it'd be $1500 if they did.

How do you all attach the UHMW skids? I would have to do something better than the factory bolts as I've tore one of those off in the rocks around here.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used countersunk grade 10.9 bolts, I bent SEVERAL of the factory bolts even with the cup washers, I never messed up a single countersunk bolt.

Reactions: JACKAL
ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's exactly the type of answer I was looking for. Someone just like me. My P1k-5 will be hauling wood all winter. Hearing from someone already using the ROPS as a benefit vs a problem removes any reservation I had about getting the 5 vs the 3. I have two additional questions current 700 owner may be helpful with. First one of the first protection items I have been considering is the bed liner to protect when loading with wood. Yes or a waste? Second I need to know more about UHMW skids. Who sells these things, where do I look? Thanks....

The drop in bed liner is the first item I have ordered for my p1K, Its the best accessory Honda offers I feel. If you dont have kids or plan on using the back seats much, i'd consider waiting for the P3. The bed on the P3 has more cargo capacity, You can slide a pallet right into the back, you cant do that with the 5 seater.

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The drop in bed liner is the first item I have ordered for my p1K, Its the best accessory Honda offers I feel. If you dont have kids or plan on using the back seats much, i'd consider waiting for the P3. The bed on the P3 has more cargo capacity, You can slide a pallet right into the back, you cant do that with the 5 seater.
Although I just don't think I will be able to wait for the 3, I am very interested in the size difference of the bed size between the two units. Can anyone fill me in on the difference say the 5 with a bed liner and the 3 bed size?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!