Soooooo any ideas why my airbox filled with oil?

H

HondaTech

No idea why it filled with oil but I just installed a crankcase vent assembly to stop my engine from sucking in hot dirty crankcase air......
View attachment 291097
View attachment 291098

Not to say it doesnt happen, but ive never taken a crankcase vent hose off a Pioneer or Talon valve cover and there been evidence of oil in the hose.

I dont believe my GM has ever seen any on hos Jackson Turbo race car either.

Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not to say it doesnt happen, but ive never taken a crankcase vent hose off a Pioneer or Talon valve cover and there been evidence of oil in the hose.

I dont believe my GM has ever seen any on hos Jackson Turbo race car either.
How is the crankcase vent routed on a turbo car? Can't be in the intake/airbox like stock or it would get pressurized and blow engine gaskets out while under boost.

I just got done cleaning oil mist out of my throttle bodies, Intake boots and head so apparently the stock system can and will suck oil into the intake. Mine is probably because I overfilled the crankcase last time.....

Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD
H

HondaTech

How is the crankcase vent routed on a turbo car? Can't be in the intake/airbox like stock or it would get pressurized and blow engine gaskets out while under boost.

I just got done cleaning oil mist out of my throttle bodies, Intake boots and head so apparently the stock system can and will suck oil into the intake. Mine is probably because I overfilled the crankcase last time.....

It goes into the turbo inlet.

The stock airbox has a small piece of foam where the breather hose comes in that helps capture oil and filter the breather.

The stock air filter holds that piece of foam in with a small plastic piece that sticks out on top near the intake trumpets. Pioneer is on thr bottom i believe.

Reactions: ChadD
sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
I'm also having second thoughts about the R2C filter I ordered. How the hell does that filter have more area than stock? Guess I should have paid more attention....
Any good engineering team would track any change in the product and closely control variables such as potting material used in the formulation. I've seen dozens of examples where a vendor would change materials in an assembly and only get caught after a collection of failures and I've also seen engineers just get it wrong or bean counters driving down the cost causing a weaker product. It could have been a bad mix batch or someone having a hangover day during creation or product mix change due to material shortages.

We just don't know what occurred behind the scene.

It is a risk and easy to second guess. I'm in that boat also.

I'm going with the company has 30 years of experience doing filtration in extreme environments and recognized the problem and fixed it. I'll be the first to call myself an "Estupido" if it fails on me.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
R2C has a great reputation in the sprint car/dirt track world and that's why I had no problem ordering a filter from them. After seeing these failures though I'm a bit leery about being a guinea pig for testing out their new design. Who says they got it right this time?

I'm also starting to lean towards making my own intake using a PwrTune throttle body plate with a pair of velocity stacks welded on. There are rumors floating around that this mod (with correct stack lengths) is a considerable boost in HP over the stock box. My buddy I race with at Texplex had one made for his Talon and says it's a very noticeable difference. 😎

Screenshot 20210813 201907 Samsung Internet
Screenshot 20210813 202014 Samsung Internet

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I’ve tried around 20 times to upload a picture but this website seems to be broken. (It was super slow yesterday but no movement today)

tap “upload” and it goes to 3% and stops.

no further.

safari view on an iPhone 11pro if anyone knows why it’s sucking.

A31BC161 E384 4DE6 985F D3820B64A166

Last edited:
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Damn, that's not good at all. If I had to guess though I'd say your filter got built up with enough dust that it clogged to the point of creating a suction on the engine side. The filter flexed inward, tore and it all went to s*** from there. I hope your engine is OK.

Off to cancel my order, I can't chance that happening to my motor.

sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
I don't think the potting material should have torn/ripped/broken in any condition. The engine should have just starved itself of oxygen and shut down IMO.

Hey, you have a secondary problem...those big @ss bugs that were sucked in.😮

Screenshot 2021 08 22 175153

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don't think the potting material should have torn/ripped/broken in any condition. The engine should have just starved itself of oxygen and shut down IMO.

View attachment 291159

Is it tearing at the hold down flange? Are the edges of the flange sharp? In my experience that type of material tears very easily once it's got any kind of slice in it no matter how shallow. Tightening the bracket down starts the problem and the flexing of the filter inward and back when dirty finishes it off.

Reactions: Smitty335
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 291159

^^^^This^^^

Even if loaded with gunk to the max, the filter media should not fail open. Even if tightened down excessively (and most filter "containers" do not allow that degree of overtightening to occur), the filter should still not fail "open" so as to damage the engine.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Damn, that's not good at all. If I had to guess though I'd say your filter got built up with enough dust that it clogged to the point of creating a suction on the engine side. The filter flexed inward, tore and it all went to s*** from there. I hope your engine is OK.

Off to cancel my order, I can't chance that happening to my motor.
I think your assessment is accurate.

potentially the oil from the crankcase vent became a self propagating thing.

plugged filter causes more oil mist, which causes higher suction, which causes more tearing and more oil ingestion.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
^^^^This^^^

Even if loaded with gunk to the max, the filter media should not fail open. Even if tightened down excessively (and most filter "containers" do not allow that degree of overtightening to occur), the filter should still not fail "open" so as to damage the engine.
I was very careful not to overtighten the screws specifically for that reason.

the filter media was intact but the rubber tore like a cheap condom.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Is it tearing at the hold down flange? Are the edges of the flange sharp? In my experience that type of material tears very easily once it's got any kind of slice in it no matter how shallow. Tightening the bracket down starts the problem and the flexing of the filter inward and back when dirty finishes it off.
The flange is Powdercoated and has fairly smooth edges.

It appears the tear started at the screw holes.
Potentially because there’s not enough rigidity in the flange so it pinches tight at the screws but actually gets looser between the screws as you tighten them.

Reactions: CID and SLOWPOKE693
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just thinking out loud here -

A couple of points on vacuum causing more oil ingestion -
1. Trying to feel where the crankcase vent enters the airbox, it 'feels like' it enters the dirty side of the airbox since I can't see up in there. That doesn't make sense because then oil fumes would contaminate the air filter, so I could be wrong.
2. IF the CC vent does enter on the dirty side, it wouldn't be affected by vacuum, that would happen on the clean side only.
3, But if the CC vent is on the clean side, oil would be drawn into the intake tubes directly not onto the filter although there could be propagation.

It 'feels like' the CC vent enters the airbox at the small dome, left of center. But I didn't notice that dome being vented (didn't look closely) and there's no oil stain around it but the photo was taken on a fairly new buggy.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Just thinking out loud here -

A couple of points on vacuum causing more oil ingestion -
1. Trying to feel where the crankcase vent enters the airbox, it 'feels like' it enters the dirty side of the airbox since I can't see up in there. That doesn't make sense because then oil fumes would contaminate the air filter, so I could be wrong.
2. IF the CC vent does enter on the dirty side, it wouldn't be affected by vacuum, that would happen on the clean side only.
3, But if the CC vent is on the clean side, oil would be drawn into the intake tubes directly not onto the filter although there could be propagation.

It 'feels like' the CC vent enters the airbox at the small dome, left of center. But I didn't notice that dome being vented (didn't look closely) and there's no oil stain around it but the photo was taken on a fairly new buggy.
View attachment 291281
Oil entry through foam at blue dots.
2 vent hoses.
B6D49F56 7983 42E9 80FF 3E0D05DCA786

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!