Soooooo any ideas why my airbox filled with oil?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Does it look like the filter was dirty enough to be plugging up and causing high vacuum? Since the R2C is dry and mounts at a ~45* downward angle, it should be semi self cleaning. I can't imagine it getting dirty enough in 400 miles to cause enough vacuum to cause structural failure even with the stock air intake location.

Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the process proceeds like this: First the filter fails (in this case the potting or bonding between the media and the case). That allows dirt and grit to bypass the filter. This, in turn accelerates piston ring and cylinder wall wear. That results in falling compression as dirt, fuel and combustion gasses get by the rings and into the sump. This results rising sump pressure and more escaping air, oil mist etc. The oil mist coats the outside of the filter effectively forcing all incoming air and dirt to bypass the air filter.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't mean to be disrespectful or distract from your problem but....
Am I the only one that thought "airbox is filled with oil" was a metaphor for, you tried to fart and had diarrhea??

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The foam squares is where the valve cover vent enters the airbox.

Same on a Pioneer, but its at the bottom.
Oh Crap!! Embarrassing mistake on my part - I was following the valve cover vent up to the airbox, NOT the crankcase vent. Sorry to share that mistake. 😊

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Oh Crap!! Embarrassing mistake on my part - I was following the valve cover vent up to the airbox, NOT the crankcase vent. Sorry to share that mistake. 😊
What?

The hose from the top of the valve cover connects to a nipple below that foam square on the clean side of the air filter. The lower port in the airbox is attached to a hose with a white cap on the end and goes nowhere. What are you calling the crankcase vent, the small hose going from the subtrans to the frame just behind the airbox?

20210819 213155

The silver nipple is the crankcase vent that goes to the airbox. The black hose behind it and at the right of the picture is the subtrans vent hose and goes into the frame like the F & R diff vents do...

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
What?

The hose from the top of the valve cover connects to a nipple below that foam square on the clean side of the air filter. The lower port in the airbox is attached to a hose with a white cap on the end and goes nowhere. What are you calling the crankcase vent, the small hose going from the subtrans to the frame just behind the airbox?

View attachment 291321

The silver nipple is the crankcase vent that goes to the airbox. The black hose behind it and at the right of the picture is the subtrans vent hose and goes into the frame like the F & R diff vents do...
Since I can't see up in there, I got my tubes confused, my mistake. I know where the subtrans vent is but your pics help put everything together better, thanks. I was looking from the rear and left rear so the subtrans vent wasn't a part of my confusion.

Reactions: Smitty335
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Update,
I did not have the correct compression tester adapter so on a whim I decided to see if it was a fluke.

I think i had a perfect storm,
missing the foam at the valve cover vent.
tear in R2C filter
Oil got on the filter and plugged it for extreme suction situation
High rpm high speed passes in sand dunes for half a tank of fuel.
amsoil 0w20 “atv utv” gold plated oil maybe sprays really easily??

all of these may have been the cause of oil in the airbox.

anyhow I went all stock filters, replaced foam in valve cover vent, oil change with 10-40 Honda dino oil, buttoned everything up and drove it around for 10 miles.

no more smoke, no run ability issues, runs great feels like it has good power.
Will test more but I’m cautiously optimistic I dodged a bullet.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
YAY!!!! I love a happy (maybe) ending (pending compression check). 👍 👍

How did the foam get out at the valve cover vent?

I can't wrap my head around a 0w rated oil viscosity. o_O

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
YAY!!!! I love a happy (maybe) ending (pending compression check). 👍 👍

How did the foam get out at the valve cover vent?

I can't wrap my head around a 0w rated oil viscosity. o_O
The r2c filter plate does not contain the small square of foam as effectively as the oem filter cage.

sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
The r2c filter plate does not contain the small square of foam as effectively as the oem filter cage.
Glad it turned out Okay and you are not in a long rebuild cycle. I looked at the new V2 filter and it looks like it covers ~75% of the foam pad thingy. I'm unsure what V1 or stock looked like.

M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
all i can say on this is i am running 12 lbs of boost with a catch can and have yet to have any oil in it.

that is a scary looking thing to happen. id prob toss in a set of pistons after that. just to be sure. the compression test mite be ok for now. but recheck in a few hundred miles

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!