P1000 Spare Me

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've written about this elsewhere, but I use my Pioneer 1000-5LE for playing around and plowing a driveway, but also on long-distance backcountry rides in remote So. Utah. I'm rarely with another vehicle, so flat tires are a big concern. Yes, I have plugs, patches, tire-ject, and inflators, but sometimes only a spare tire will do.

I went cheap on my spare setup because I don't tote a spare that often. There's nothing wrong with cheap, but it did lead to other issues. So I'm going to try to leave the brands out of this post because I really did poor-boy this gear (like damaged, secondary purchases) and the brands have better products. Also, I would like to hear what does and does not work for others but please recognize that I went for the cheap easy way to add a spare for a ride, not the best way to do it.

First, I bought a hitch mount spare carrier. It came with a steel bolt-on stabilizer that connects at the ROPS, but I won't use it because I will be putting the hitch mount on and off quite a bit. First impression, this is pretty easy way to carry a spare and it will be fine with a coupler-cinch or a ratchet strap to hold the mount still. With a hitch extender I can travel with the tailgate down. This hitch mount also has the benefit of not killing my departure angle - shouldn't be plowing behind me.

IMG 2939

Second, bought a tire. Was a good price and I just need a spare. Went with a stock-size 27x9-14 and confirmed that it works as a spare for the rear (which is 27x11-14). The spare has to work front or rear whatever your setup.

Third, I bought a wheel. This is where you really should pay attention on your setup. The tire was the right size 14x7 with 4/137 bolt pattern and a 5-2 offset. The issue with the one I bought is that the holes for the lug nuts were incredibly small, like for spline-drive lug nuts. The problem is my stock tires are not spline-drive and my lugnut wrench will not fit. I don't want to change all of my wheels to a spline.

IMG 2940

So my $22 fix was to buy a handful of 60mm extended aluminum lugnuts (still the standard 19mm hex). I have four to mount to the hitch and four more in my tool kit to get me home just in case.

I'm fine with my spare setup, but you do need to test the setup at home before any real-world field trial.

Happy trails,

StewB

Last edited:
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use the tusk tire carrier without the extra frame mount. It went thru a week of Ride Royal Blue bouncing around with no problems!

IMG 20210723 102745

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
but you do need to test the setup at home before any real-world field trial.
I would if you haven't on at least 1 tire real life.

I hate you require a different lug setup. And, you do have 12mm studs/lugs right?
That small lug hole has gotten a few people with aftermarket wheels. Kinda sucks to be surprised with that after someone spends 1000+ on new shoes just to have to wait on lugs.

I too have a similar but homemade mount. I did need to strap it to the ROPS to keep it from moving around. Easy to get off as needed with a cut-down ratchet strap.

But lately, I have just been using a factory front spare mounted in the bed. It is mostly for an emergency tire donut. I carry it deflated to save room as I need that extra 3+ inches to fit my junk up in there... (TWSS)

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would if you haven't on at least 1 tire real life.

I hate you require a different lug setup. And, you do have 12mm studs/lugs right?
That small lug hole has gotten a few people with aftermarket wheels. Kinda sucks to be surprised with that after someone spends 1000+ on new shoes just to have to wait on lugs.

I too have a similar but homemade mount. I did need to strap it to the ROPS to keep it from moving around. Easy to get off as needed with a cut-down ratchet strap.

But lately, I have just been using a factory front spare mounted in the bed. It is mostly for an emergency tire donut. I carry it deflated to save room as I need that extra 3+ inches to fit my junk up in there... (TWSS)
Yes, on the 12mm. I was concerned about how snug the aluminum's would fit, so I used a bit of Blue Loctite to keep things in place on the spare mount.

Why, WTF, would a manufacturer make a wheel with lug nut holes too small for a standard (not impact) drive socket for the lug nut inside the hole? Are we again dealing with self-important idiots trying to force-feed us Betamax spline drives?
We're talking about lug nuts for hell's sake. Do they think they can corner the market by incompatibility?

Over.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a fyi, your factory honda rims use a ball style lug nut. Your spare uses a cone style lugnut. They are not interchangeable. Do not use your aftermarket lugs on factory rims.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think manufacturers use the holes that require spline drive nuts to make you think you are more "secure" in the fact that Joe Shmow doesn't have a way to steal your wheels.

From a logistical side of things it may spend less time in a lathe making a smaller hole and that saves time and money.

Reactions: ChadD
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I picked up a full set of steel wheels off a 1000-5 base model for $50. Plan on using one of the two front wheels for a spare. Haven't decided on the carrier yet.

Reactions: Robobrainiac
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The tusk carrier is around $170. I am not sure how much you want to spend.

Reactions: ChadD
advertisement
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The tusk carrier is around $170. I am not sure how much you want to spend.
. . . unless you stumble across one with chipped paint in shipping and skate for $120. ✌️
Still a lot, but I really do like that it doesn't hit your departure angle and it seems solid.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
. . . unless you stumble across one with chipped paint in shipping and skate for $120. ✌️
Still a lot, but I really do like that it doesn't hit your departure angle and it seems solid.
I was surprised at the price because when I made my purchase it was $135 with free shipping on ebay in March of 2021

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's the rest of my spare tire add.

The Tusk spare carrier (as above) fit great and didn't kill my departure angle. And then I got to thinking about the tailgate and being able to haul stuff if the back seats were occupied.

I found a reasonable combo deal on an 8 1/2" hitch extension (3,500# rated) and an anti-rattle bracket. Now I can use the spare carrier and have the tailgate down.

Pioneer 2a

Pioneer 3

The main anti-rattle bracket is the blue plate below the u-bolted tie down by the main hitch. The 8 1/2" hitch extension has a top bolt that can be torqued down to stop the back end rattle. I drove it around a bit and it didn't shake hardly at all. If I take this set up on a long ride, I'll probably use a ratchet strap to the ROPS to keep it all tight.
I know there are better bed-extender and spare tire set ups, like those shown above, but this hitch extender will let me carry stuff on the tailgate and a spare tire when I have passengers in the back seats.

Last edited:
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's the rest of my spare tire add.

The Tusk spare carrier (as above) fit great and didn't kill my departure angle. And then I got to thinking about the tailgate and being able to haul stuff if the back seats were occupied.

I found a reasonable combo deal on an 8 1/2" hitch extension (3,500# rated) and an anti-rattle bracket. Now I can use the spare carrier and have the tailgate down.

View attachment 306837
View attachment 306838

The main anti-rattle bracket is the blue plate below the u-bolted tie down by the main hitch. The 8 1/2" hitch extension has a top bolt that can be torqued down to stop the back end rattle. I drove it around a bit and it didn't shake hardly at all. If I take this set up on a long ride, I'll probably use a ratchet strap to the ROPS to keep it all tight.
I know there are better bed-extender and spare tire set ups, like those shown above, but this hitch extender will let me carry stuff on the tailgate and a spare tire when I have passengers in the back seats.
That looks Awesome! I would like to do something similar with my tusk carrier. Where were you able to find a decent extender? What is the measurement from the back of the carrier to the end of the open tailgate? Thank you!

Reactions: Lady01 and TxDoc
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That looks Awesome! I would like to do something similar with my tusk carrier. Where were you able to find a decent extender? What is the measurement from the back of the carrier to the end of the open tailgate? Thank you!

I won't be able to measure, as my machine is at my cabin. But the extender and rattle clamp are:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Now that you’ve had that for a while, do you like your spare tire and gas can carrier? How annoying is it to remove or open when using the bed? Thanks for the info.
No complaints whatsoever, it swings open and closes easily. Cans an tire mount - no drama.
Axes, shovel mounts work perfectly.
2 guys can unhook it and hang on my garage wall if I want to go without.
I also woods ride(Oregonifornia) and back into stuff occasionally with no drama.
I'd buy again.
One caveat is the cans are empty until I'm headed on longer trip for unnecessary weight.

I'm anal about clean..easier to cleanup if kept clean. All my stuff looks the same way..worked hard for these toys..

advertisement