P1000 Spare Me

C

Chad J

Mar 29, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No complaints whatsoever, it swings open and closes easily. Cans an tire mount - no drama.
Axes, shovel mounts work perfectly.
2 guys can unhook it and hang on my garage wall if I want to go without.
I also woods ride(Oregonifornia) and back into stuff occasionally with no drama.
I'd buy again.
One caveat is the cans are empty until I'm headed on longer trip for unnecessary weight.

I'm anal about clean..easier to cleanup if kept clean. All my stuff looks the same way..worked hard for these toys..
Thanks!! Yeah it’s something I won’t need all the time for some jobs but would like for longer trips. Also nice to have in the rear because anything on the side is just something for a tree to catch.

Reactions: Lady01
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Added a Stihl 18" hatchet since this pic. Rack isn't cheap but its well made. I also weld so I'm not too...
20201115 102042

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Whose carrier and where to buy? Please and thanks in advance.
Ask for Moses. Post # 24

advertisement
Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've written about this elsewhere, but I use my Pioneer 1000-5LE for playing around and plowing a driveway, but also on long-distance backcountry rides in remote So. Utah. I'm rarely with another vehicle, so flat tires are a big concern. Yes, I have plugs, patches, tire-ject, and inflators, but sometimes only a spare tire will do.

I went cheap on my spare setup because I don't tote a spare that often. There's nothing wrong with cheap, but it did lead to other issues. So I'm going to try to leave the brands out of this post because I really did poor-boy this gear (like damaged, secondary purchases) and the brands have better products. Also, I would like to hear what does and does not work for others but please recognize that I went for the cheap easy way to add a spare for a ride, not the best way to do it.

First, I bought a hitch mount spare carrier. It came with a steel bolt-on stabilizer that connects at the ROPS, but I won't use it because I will be putting the hitch mount on and off quite a bit. First impression, this is pretty easy way to carry a spare and it will be fine with a coupler-cinch or a ratchet strap to hold the mount still. With a hitch extender I can travel with the tailgate down. This hitch mount also has the benefit of not killing my departure angle - shouldn't be plowing behind me.

View attachment 305448

Second, bought a tire. Was a good price and I just need a spare. Went with a stock-size 27x9-14 and confirmed that it works as a spare for the rear (which is 27x11-14). The spare has to work front or rear whatever your setup.

Third, I bought a wheel. This is where you really should pay attention on your setup. The tire was the right size 14x7 with 4/137 bolt pattern and a 5-2 offset. The issue with the one I bought is that the holes for the lug nuts were incredibly small, like for spline-drive lug nuts. The problem is my stock tires are not spline-drive and my lugnut wrench will not fit. I don't want to change all of my wheels to a spline.

View attachment 305449

So my $22 fix was to buy a handful of 60mm extended aluminum lugnuts (still the standard 19mm hex). I have four to mount to the hitch and four more in my tool kit to get me home just in case.

I'm fine with my spare setup, but you do need to test the setup at home before any real-world field trial.

Happy trails,

StewB
Stew,
This is comnpletely off the subject, but I noticed that suncreen running across the back. Is that helping with the dust and if so, could you advise where I might purchase

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Stew,
This is comnpletely off the subject, but I noticed that suncreen running across the back. Is that helping with the dust and if so, could you advise where I might purchase
Spoonbill - It does help with the dust, but others on this site have better ideas in keeping dust down. With a 5-seater, dust can get in from a lot of parts.

I ride dusty roads a whole lot, including when my 30mph road speed is less than the 40 mph winds bringing my own dust back to haunt me from behind. (Remmington, Jackal - you leave those last six words alone unless you post to the Meme dumping zone).

Someone on this site found a place that will make a mesh panel for about 30 bucks. I think you can find it if you search.
I bought a (then) $25 +/- dollar dump truck mesh panel off Ama zon, a grommet kit, and 20+ ball bungee cords (Remmington and Jackal, behave with those last three words as well).

I used a busted fiberglass rod from a desert warning flag as the bottom stiffener (R and J, once again . . . ). I use the bungees to roll the mesh up for transit or when I don't want it, and then to tie it down when I need it. I like it, but I don't have a sealed cabin and use goggles when the dust is bad.

Hope this helps,
Peace out.
StewB

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Though your post was well festooned with warnings, R & J will likely mess with you anyway. Just sayin'!

Reactions: Smitty335
Jas sxs

Jas sxs

Oct 15, 2021
rankin county ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Spoonbill - It does help with the dust, but others on this site have better ideas in keeping dust down. With a 5-seater, dust can get in from a lot of parts.

I ride dusty roads a whole lot, including when my 30mph road speed is less than the 40 mph winds bringing my own dust back to haunt me from behind. (Remmington, Jackal - you leave those last six words alone unless you post to the Meme dumping zone).

Someone on this site found a place that will make a mesh panel for about 30 bucks. I think you can find it if you search.
I bought a (then) $25 +/- dollar dump truck mesh panel off Ama zon, a grommet kit, and 20+ ball bungee cords (Remmington and Jackal, behave with those last three words as well).

I used a busted fiberglass rod from a desert warning flag as the bottom stiffener (R and J, once again . . . ). I use the bungees to roll the mesh up for transit or when I don't want it, and then to tie it down when I need it. I like it, but I don't have a sealed cabin and use goggles when the dust is bad.

Hope this helps,
Peace out.
StewB

View attachment 345603
I am pretty Shure you can get the sun block mesh(its pretty thick and will hold up) from places Lowes and home to use for that

advertisement