P700 Starting in the cold?

joeyaffhy

joeyaffhy

Lifetime Member
Dec 12, 2020
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-2
My 2020 700 starts hard on these cold new England mornings here in Massachusetts. I have found if I turn key on and let the dash gauge cycle. Then when starting the engine I lightly tap the gas peddle as it is turning over and the machine starts every time first try. A little weird for a fuel injected engine, but works for me every time.

Reactions: TripleB and Mudwing
E

eagle-E6

Sep 18, 2018
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
My 700-4 wouldn't start yesterday (-30 C). I've got 10W30 oil in it, and a fully charged battery. Was thinking of using a heating pad of some sort, and changing the GN-4 oil to a 0W-20 synthetic. Has anyone used ether as an assist for extreme cold weather starting on these machines?

G

Grasshopper

Jun 20, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 500
My 2020 700 starts hard on these cold new England mornings here in Massachusetts. I have found if I turn key on and let the dash gauge cycle. Then when starting the engine I lightly tap the gas peddle as it is turning over and the machine starts every time first try. A little weird for a fuel injected engine, but works for me every time.
Tapping the gas opens up the throttle valve which will let your engine turn over slightly faster due to less air restriction. I'm guessing that is why it might be helpful on a fuel injected engine.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have said it before on here but my 700 was a bear starting in the cold. I tried everything from battery tenders, lower viscosity of oil, to better fuel. What finally solved my problem was a bigger battery. After alot of research I found the Canadian models come with a bigger GYZ16H 16 ahour battery vs the smaller YTX14 battery in the states. I was actually able to put an even bigger battery YTX20 with 310cca in the stock location by trimming the plastic divider next to the battery. I found once that it says if the starting voltage drops to about 10 volts it will actually turn off the injectors and it won't start. At least on the Rincon. I think this is the biggest issue and believe even the Rincons come with the bigger 16 amp battery. Don't ask me why honda did this other then for cost savings but it cured mine with the bigger battery.

Last edited:
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Reactions: Mudwing
Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have said it before on here but my 700 was a bear starting in the cold. I tried everything from battery tenders, lower viscosity of oil, to better fuel. What finally solved my problem was a bigger battery. After alot of research I found the Canadian models come with a bigger GYZ16H 16 ahour battery vs the smaller YTX14 battery in the states. I was actually able to put an even bigger battery YTX20 with 310cca in the stock location by trimming the plastic divider next to the battery. I found once that it says if the starting voltage drops to about 10 volts it will actually turn off the injectors and it won't start. I think this is the biggest issue and believe even the Rincons come with the bigger 16 amp battery. Don't ask me why honda did this other then for cost savings but it cured mine with the bigger battery.

Can you link us to the YTX20 with 310cca?
All I can find is 270cca.
Thanks!

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's the one I used. Like I said you will have to trim out the little plastic piece next to the battery, but after it's removed it looks like this should have been their original idea because it fits perfect. If I remember right the difference in the 310 vs the 270 was just the height but it will fit. I liked the battery size so much that when I sold my 700 I actually took it out and used it as the secondary battery on my 1000. I hope this helps you out, but it cured my starting problems. My 700 was the worst starting machine I have ever owned when the temps dipped into the single digits.

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Here's the one I used. Like I said you will have to trim out the little plastic piece next to the battery, but after it's removed it looks like this should have been their original idea because it fits perfect. If I remember right the difference in the 310 vs the 270 was just the height but it will fit. I liked the battery size so much that when I sold my 700 I actually took it out and used it as the secondary battery on my 1000. I hope this helps you out, but it cured my starting problems. My 700 was the worst starting machine I have ever owned when the temps dipped into the single digits.

Thanks!
I may use this as the starting battery and the stock one as the secondary.

Reactions: joeyaffhy
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On my 700 I didn't do a secondary battery. I was planning on doing it by adding a secondary battery the same size as the original. I actually bought a blue sea switch that I could actually combine the batteries to help with starting, but the bigger one fixed my issue. If you are thinking about a secondary battery I believe alot of the early 700 owners were installing a car size battery under the driver seat. This might be another option and with the switch like I was talking about you could combine them if the need arises. Just know you are not the only one that has had trouble starting in the cold and I hope you can get something that works for you.

Reactions: Mudwing
H

Harvester

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Big Red
I have a fuel injected Grizzly 700 2016 turns over slow with a new HO battery . Was mentioned the computers for fuel injection are not very sophisticated for these machines . My Grizzly never ever starts on the first try when below 50 degrees and that is with a new fuel pump . For fuel injection these are poor examples . IMO they ought to be starting immediately or with in a few cranks of the starter .

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have a fuel injected Grizzly 700 2016 turns over slow with a new HO battery . Was mentioned the computers for fuel injection are not very sophisticated for these machines . My Grizzly never ever starts on the first try when below 50 degrees and that is with a new fuel pump . For fuel injection these are poor examples . IMO they ought to be starting immediately or with in a few cranks of the starter .
I would mostly agree, yet to add the level of sophistication needed that would require more sensors, better ecu programming and mapping which would require lots of hours of R&D.
For the use and price point of these machines I am fine with what I have.
I hear alot of comparisons or just complaints about what they should or could have done but at the end of the day the simplicity and ease of repair is a definite trade off I will take.

7for4

Feb 20, 2021
Sonora, ca
Ownership

1. 700-4
Watched an interesting U Tube video yesterday on this subject. JoAMoN was having this trouble. He changed out his spark plug to an iridium plug...seemed to work for him. Link:
Hope this helps.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!