P500 Stickies for installation write up's & videos? Or maybe even a sub-forum?

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I dont want to overstep here, but I keep getting asked about certain things from people that don't read every thread like some of us do (A lot of FB users) and when I try to tell them how to find certain things for a quick "How to" they typically think it's on FB or maybe youtube and not much further. Should we consider making a few stickies or even a sub-forum about things like Power steering installation or Locker installs and move some threads (or posts)? Trying to tell someone how to find JWB's install videos that are on his drive is kinda tough, if we had a "How to" section for write ups it may make it easier to spread the word about the forum.

Reactions: Mudder
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
All some one has to do is post a detailed write up with pics and or videos. As long as everything looks correct we can sticky the thread in the shop talk section just like the maintenance how to threads are currently.

Post in correct SHOP TALK section for the machine you are posting about.

Reactions: sharp
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
For the P500 this is where to post.

Pioneer 500 Shop Talk

All you have to do from smartphone is hold finger on the link in the forum, then select COPY ADDRESS LINK from pop up list then you can paste it into Farcebook to send them to the topic.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
That should be merged with
Accessories and Modifications IMHO.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Whichever. I'm open to ideas.

The original plan was Shop talk was about issues, problems, mechanical stuff unrelated.
Access and Mod were for just that, access and mods.

Really, The goal was to use the resource section to house different how-to, walk thoughts, installs, and what not. They would show up in both the concerning thread and the resource section which would be sortable by category and/or machine.

If anyone wants to make me a list of threads I would be happy to see what I can do with them.

One problem I have with many of the things you mention is the scaterness in said thread. Instead of updating the 1st post, the users scatters their how-to through the thread sometimes 5, 10, 30 postst down the line.

If anyone wants to take on the challenge of organizing some of these, I would be happy to allow some access, tenure pending.

@pFive ,
To start, make me a list of 3 or 4 and I'll take a look a them and see our best path.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Liking the sticky thread idea for locker installation to cull out the gold nuggets of videos, how to, or caution info to help members when they get around to installs. Was on the fence before I saw them, now glad I did.

Key observations/lessons learned during installation. Maybe this list could be edited for a first post on a Sticky thread (admin controlled). Sure others could add other tips for final Edit of that post. Heres an example draft. Update.. See cut and paste post 20 below.

P500 Torq-Master Locker Install Tips.
  1. Link to JWB Video. https://hondasxs.com/attachments/tl-honda-final-6-28-18-pdf.79804/
  2. Link to AMR (Jay_man81) video P500 - Torq-Masters torq locker feedback
  3. Read supplied instructions front to back before starting, will clarify videos (shims vs cone washer reuse, etc). A link to a .pdf of instructions would be helpful.
  4. Bumper and winch may come off as a unit, depending on type.
  5. Take measurement of exposed threads on 4wd cable to help in reinstall.
  6. Caution: Pull 4wd sensor plug instead of removing bolt and twisting wire.
  7. Free up brake line, just 2 bolts each side. Calipers remained in place.
  8. Do not have to remove steering joint, just A arm bolts, ample clearance to pull axle out.
  9. Recommend Zip tie or other method to support loose axles to A arm to prevent stress after removal from differential.
  10. Before starting, get proper sized drill bit and pin punch to remove pin (someone give proper size) and a point punch to re-dimple pin in place.
  11. Pre lube locker surfaces during installation.
  12. Be careful of not damaging the oil seals, both while pulling the axle shafts and then reinstalling them. The stub end could easily damage the oil seal lips in the differential.
  13. Circlip update from Torq-Master. Axle Re-installation - Remove the circlip from the differential side of the axle shaft assembly. Then tighten the circlip using pliers, reducing the diameter of the circlip. Reinstall circlip onto the axle shaft ensuring that the circlip is tight in the circlip recess in the axle shaft.
  14. Caution: when reinstalling the rear of the front drive shaft at engine output housing, check O ring. Also the rubber boot has tabs to pull it over the housing. Do this last when you can spin the axle during rotation test, pull boot over in sections as you rotate the shaft.
  15. Refill with 75-140w gear oil (optional heavier weight).
  16. Clean dripped oils, then reinspect after riding to ensure no leaks at differential.
  17. Give a Thanks to Torq Masters on their FB page, website or Honda SxS forum here: Welcome TORQ Masters to the Honda SxS Club!

Last edited:
C

Chooglin

Liking the sticky thread idea for locker installation to cull out the gold nuggets of videos, how to, or caution info to help members when they get around to installs. Was on the fence before I saw them, now glad I did.
This was the reason that I started the locker feedback thread but people are still posting in the "who wants a locker thread "

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Agree, FB has its issues, but thinking on the last item in list was to help positive feedback for Torq Masters to the general public. Maybe they could put a link to this forum (thinging new users have to join to view). Its a big world out there, international sales.

Last edited:
Reactions: JWB and Chooglin
advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Face poop users should have to join the forum to access the how to's. Then all they'd have to do is ask and one of us would give them the link. If they don't want to take the time to read through the thread then they can go ask the face puke crowd. JMO.
Sorry but I hate FB.
Kinda agree.

@Mudder,
Someone is not going to read through 100 post for instructions / feedback here/there. It needs to be in post 1 and updated/added as new things come about.

Is there anyone who wants to put this all together?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I cant embed @JWB's videos from the file server. If he does not have a youtube. I would love to host them on the HondaSxS youtube.

Reactions: JWB
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Kinda agree.

@Mudder,
Someone is not going to read through 100 post for instructions / feedback here/there. It needs to be in post 1 and updated/added as new things come about.

Send me a message, I'll see what I can do, Providing I have the tenure required.

Reactions: JWB and Hondasxs
C

Chooglin

I cant embed @JWB's videos from the file server. If he does not have a youtube. I would love to host them on the HondaSxS youtube.
Those videos can be downloaded to your device then reposted !

C

Chooglin

I will gladly upload @JWB install video to my YouTube channel if it's ok with JWB !

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Kinda agree.

@Mudder,

Agree, A single post with a similar content in the listing as a start, and an admin could edit that first post for additions deemed worthy therafter.

My reference to FB was only if someone wanted to put a thank you /feedback to Torq Masters on their facebook page,..or their website, or this forum. Not the “how to”.

Last edited:
Reactions: pFive and JWB
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
P500 Torq-Master Locker Install Tips.
  1. Link to JWB Video. https://hondasxs.com/attachments/tl-honda-final-6-28-18-pdf.79804/
  2. Link to AMR (Jay_man81) video P500 - Torq-Masters torq locker feedback
  3. Read supplied instructions front to back before starting, it will clarify videos, shims vs cone washer reuse, etc. (A link to a .pdf of JWB instructions here would be helpful.)
  4. Bumper and winch may come off as a unit, depending on type.
  5. Take measurement of exposed threads on 4wd cable to help during reinstallation.
  6. Caution: Pull 4wd sensor plug off instead of removing bolt and twisting wire.
  7. Free up the brake lines from A arms, 2 bolts each side. Calipers can remain in place.
  8. Do not have to remove the steering joint, just A arm bolts, there is ample clearance to pull the axle out.
  9. Recommend Zip-tie or other method to support loose axles to A arm to prevent stress after removal from differential.
  10. Before starting on differential, get proper sized drill bit and small pin punch to remove pin (someone give proper size) and a point punch to re-dimple pin in place.
  11. Pre-lube locker surfaces during installation.
  12. Be careful of not damaging the oil seals, both while pulling the axle shafts and then reinstalling them. The stub end could easily damage the oil seal lips in the differential.
  13. Circlip update from Torq-Master. Axle Re-installation - Remove the circlip from the differential side of the axle shaft assembly. Then tighten the circlip using pliers, reducing the diameter of the circlip. Reinstall circlip onto the axle shaft ensuring that the circlip is tight in the circlip recess in the axle shaft.
  14. Caution: when reinstalling the rear of the propeller drive shaft into the engine output housing, check the O ring. Also the rubber boot has tabs to pull over the engine output housing. Do this last when you can spin the axle after the rotation test, pulling the boot over in sections as you rotate the shaft. P500 - ripped o-ring? . P500 - Help Identifying issue?
  15. Refill with 75-140w gear oil (an optional heavier weight to 75-90w).
  16. Clean any dripped oils, then reinspect after riding to ensure no leaks at differential.
  17. (Optional). Give a Thanks to Torq Masters on their FB page, website or here on the Honda SxS forum thread: Welcome TORQ Masters to the Honda SxS Club!

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!