Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Taylor park/tincup area
Ok, then you are 40 miles from Gunnison, I know the Taylor Park/Tincup area pretty well. You won't have hardly any width restrictions and with the area you can take off your sway bar. I don't think you can get over Tincup to St. Elmo because there will still be snow at the summit. We have been there in July and August and could not get over but you may be able to get to St. Elmo via Cumberland Pass.

Reactions: rtn001 and monaco
monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
Ok, then you are 40 miles from Gunnison, I know the Taylor Park/Tincup area pretty well. You won't have hardly any width restrictions and with the area you can take off your sway bar. I don't think you can get over Tincup to St. Elmo because there will still be snow at the summit. We have been there in July and August and could not get over but you may be able to get to St. Elmo via Cumberland Pass.

Thanks - I've been wondering about the snow situation. I'll be out there middle of July

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Do you have 1.5 spacer on all 4 corners..Looks like rear width seem narrow.I'm going to check that out today
Yes 1.5 all around . Didn't want to change the design (Honda's much smarter than me) just wanted a bit more stability and these did it perfectly . Still fit the 50" gates and much more stable .

H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks - I'm about to do a week-long Gunnison ride. Was wondering if it would be better to take it off or leave it on for that... comfort might be nice, but I don't know how many cambered trails I'll see either. I'll have my 2" spacers by that time
Like Alan said, if you plan to ride on 50" trails in Colorado, do not put spacers on. You won't make it through the majority of the trail heads. From ground up to about 15 inches or so, the entrance is right out at 50" at which point they bend the metal posts out an extra 3 or 4 inches so the Razors can get through without ripping their doors off. That's discriminatory I believe!! And if you do get through one end you may Drive quite aways to find that you can't get out the other end. As an added note, my sway bar has been disconnected also, no problems noted. Of course, high speed for me is 30 mph on a flat straight road, not on cornering. Getting old I suppose.

Reactions: rtn001 and monaco
P

PNWGuy

Here is Colorado there is a lot of off camber riding so I prefer to leave mine attached and with so many 50" trails I cannot go to spacers.

Sounds like you ride in the same conditions that I do; lots of technical stuff and off-camber situations.

I'm still a little confused about the removal of the sway bar and if it will actually reduce the possibility of a rollover. I do a little bit of riding on gravel roads between trails, but most riding is on 50" restricted trails and I'm going under 15mph. I rarely get out of 3rd gear.

It seems that more articulation equals more contact with the ground, which would increase lateral stability.

My one close call tip over last week was going around a sharp switchback that was off-camber. One of the back tires lifted up in the middle of the turn. Having more articulation would have kept it planted.

monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
Sounds like you ride in the same conditions that I do; lots of technical stuff and off-camber situations.

I'm still a little confused about the removal of the sway bar and if it will actually reduce the possibility of a rollover. I do a little bit of riding on gravel roads between trails, but most riding is on 50" restricted trails and I'm going under 15mph. I rarely get out of 3rd gear.

It seems that more articulation equals more contact with the ground, which would increase lateral stability.

My one close call tip over last week was going around a sharp switchback that was off-camber. One of the back tires lifted up in the middle of the turn. Having more articulation would have kept it planted.

My understanding is that removal of the sway bar allows for more lean, which gives the driver a clue about a possible tip and provides earlier warning. I've got my sway bar connected and have in many cases had some wheels up off the dirt - I've laid it over a few times too partly because of that fact. (always very gently) :)

Reactions: rtn001
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500

The removal of the sway bar will cause the down hill side of the vehicle to articulate down to that side of the hill, in essence putting more weight on the down hill side which can add to the roll over causing pucker meter rising drastically even if you don't turn over.

Reactions: rtn001
P

PNWGuy

Surely someone has taken before and after pictures of the sway bar removal and off-camber stability???

Maybe I will take some pics tomorrow of the rear suspension going over an obstacle and on a hill to try and show the difference between with a sway bar and without. Mine is still attached.

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Surely someone has taken before and after pictures of the sway bar removal and off-camber stability???

Maybe I will take some pics tomorrow of the rear suspension going over an obstacle and on a hill to try and show the difference between with a sway bar and without. Mine is still attached.
There's a Guy on YouTube has A Video on the removel of the sway bar big difference for sure..

Reactions: monaco and rtn001
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I had my sway bar removed for a couple years but also had 4+3 wheels to give it a wider stance, along with that I regeared the trans so it will run 48-50mph on an open stretch. With the wider stance there were no issues at speed. I have since sold the tire wheel combo and am running stock until my next set comes in. With the stock wheels/tires I reinstalled the sway for a more planted feel at speed.

Reactions: rtn001 and Mudwing
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

We had a guy who did that. Unfortunately he died in a rollover accident before he could post them.
Can you post a link to it?
FWIW, i took off the passenger wheel and was able to work it out that way.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Sway bar disconnected and like it. Local trail with tall gates/poles for 50 inch width barrier an issue when the ground is not level. Causes ROPS to hit at roof due to tilt. Called USFS and they do nothing.

Reactions: monaco
Idahocrawler

Idahocrawler

Sep 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
We had a guy who did that. Unfortunately he died in a rollover accident before he could post them.

FWIW, i took off the passenger wheel and was able to work it out that way.

Seriously?
A guy died from taking off a sway bar ?

Reactions: DG Rider
Idahocrawler

Idahocrawler

Sep 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
LOL...no. Not that I know of. Just being funny...and nobody caught it until NOW!
Lol

It is funny but I was like holy crap.
I’m thinking if Yamaha took them off due to safety there’s has to be something to it . You would have thought Honda would have learned from their mistake

H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks - I'm about to do a week-long Gunnison ride. Was wondering if it would be better to take it off or leave it on for that... comfort might be nice, but I don't know how many cambered trails I'll see either. I'll have my 2" spacers by that time
Don't go on any 50" trails with those spacers, if you get through one end, you not get out the other end. My sway is disconnected, but then again I'm not into high speed driving on the straight line or in corners. I spend about two weeks in Colorado driving all over those trails west of Delta and Montrose. My best investment has been tires, Torque Locker, and Walker Evans shocks for the front.

Reactions: monaco
Yellowbeast

Yellowbeast

May 29, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 500
Will removing the sway bar effect me towing my 14’ trailer through my yard? I have 26x9x12 and 26x11x12 bear claw htr on stock rims with no wheel spacers

seymore13

seymore13

Jul 9, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I'm going to try removing it before our next ride. I'm not too concerned about a rollover while I'm driving it. However my wife's offroad and trail riding background comes from riding and racing banshees and the like. The phrase, "drive it like you stole it" comes to mind. May be a bit tough to get her to take it easy a bit while we learn the new feel of the swaybar disconnected.

Reactions: Eltobgi and Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!