• Start date
L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi All,

Forgive my ignorance if this is a silly question or if it's already been covered.

If i4wd is an electronic control of the drive to the front tires, then could Honda or someone with tuning access to the i4wd be able to simply put a switch in that would tell through the software to lock the front tires?

Of course easier to say than do, but for Honda would seem simple enough unless I'm missing something significant.

Cheers,

Steve

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
tell through the software to lock the front tires?
If you mean locking as in diff lock... Then no.
i4wd works by pressing the brakes on one tire forcing the other to spin. There is nothing inside the diff that is electronically controlled in regards to this.

BUT..
If you are talking about being able to put it in 4x4 mode without the i4wd... Then yes. Some wiring tricks can handle that such as our DIY i4wd override. The 4x4 clutch is electronically controlled and all you need to do is give it power and you can have 4x4 without the i4wd working. But really, its just 3x4.
Then, lets say you still want i4wd, you can then flip it on along with the i4wd override as well.

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If you mean locking as in diff lock... Then no.
i4wd works by pressing the brakes on one tire forcing the other to spin. There is nothing inside the diff that is electronically controlled in regards to this.

BUT..
If you are talking about being able to put it in 4x4 mode without the i4wd... Then yes. Some wiring tricks can handle that such as our DIY i4wd override. The 4x4 clutch is electronically controlled and all you need to do is give it power and you can have 4x4 without the i4wd working.
Thanks for the clarification. It clearly won’t work as I thought with i4wd working that way.

thanks

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!