Talon Tablet as GPS without Cell Capability

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
You can also buy a bluetooth GPS reciever that works very well for non cellular models. And i think Maps+ is the best App out there, on either Andorid or IOS (my opinion after using a bunch of them).
I use a Bad Elf GPS bluetooth receiver with a non-cellular Ipad I had laying around with good results. That being said, if you can purchase a new Samsung Tab with built in GPS for $150, I think thats a good way to go too.

Reactions: CID
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
UPDATE:

My Samsung Tab A 8" has proven to work pretty well on the trail. However, now that I've loaded it up with maps from Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado and Oklahoma, I'm pushing the limits of the 32gb internal memory. I thought the micro SD card would resolve this issue as I changed the default of my GaiaGPS software to the SD card, rather than internal memory. Sadly, I find that, even though I designated the SD card for map data storage, the Gaia software won't actually accommodate that, instead insisting on internal memory storage only. That effectively renders the "expandable" memory via SD as invalid (at least in my application).
This is a known issue. Some devices don't always work as expected when moving the root directory.

One known fix is to delete the app and all the data. You might have to stop the app, delete the cache so it can't log in, delete the data and then delete the app. Then reload the app and BEFORE you log in, change the root directory. Then log in and let it sync/download everything again and it "should" store your maps on the SD card.

I haven't personally tried this but this "fix" is all over the internet.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I went with the Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 10.4" w/64GB. It is dedicated for SXS use only. Came with an additional 64GB SD card. Will see how well that setup works.

Reactions: lowranger
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I went with the Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 10.4" w/64GB. It is dedicated for SXS use only. Came with an additional 64GB SD card. Will see how well that setup works.

I'm looking at that model. My only real concern is its processing power. On my Tab A 8", the ability to refresh maps in GaiaGPS is not a quick as I'd like, albeit useable.

Steve

Reactions: CID
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I'm looking at that model. My only real concern is its processing power. On my Tab A 8", the ability to refresh maps in GaiaGPS is not a quick as I'd like, albeit useable.

Steve
I installed OruxMaps and then added the Great Lakes ORV Trails (MI, MN, WI, IN) from vvmapping. Haven't had it on the trails yet (just got my SXS before winter), but I've let it run while I commute to work and back a number of times - I have zero complaints about performance. No idea what GaiaGPS would do.

Reactions: stellarpod
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
UPDATE to my previous UPDATE:

I figured out why GaiaGPS wouldn't allow me to save data (downloaded maps, etc.) on my microSD card instead of internal memory. I was attempting to tell it to move the data to the SD card through Samsungs "Device Care - Storage" facility in the "Settings", in which you can [supposedly] define/redefine the target storage location for each application. Even though I had designated the SD location, and even though it *said* that it was storing in the SD location, it actually was not.

THEN I found, while perusing the setup options in the GaiaGPS app itself, an option to designate the "Root Folder" under the "Storage" heading (yeah, I should have seen that before now). Viola! This allowed me to truly designate the SD location and, once done, the application immediately moved all my maps from internal to SD, thus freeing up about 16gb of space from my internal storage - fully half of my 32gb available. Suddenly, I've got plenty of room to stretch out. So, I won't be needing to find a new tablet after all - at least not in the near future. Life is good!

Steve

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have an older iPad without cell capability that I wanted to use. Purchased a ”Dual” GPS receiver then found I couldn’t download GAIA with the older iPad. So I use my newer iPad and Bluetooth the gps info to it. works great. If you can download your mapping program to your tablet with or without a gps chip, the “Dual“ receiver works great.

Reactions: CID and stellarpod

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!