Talon Tablet as GPS without Cell Capability

S

Stel

Jan 22, 2019
Avon
Ownership

1. Talon R
I believe most of us prefer a small tablet for nav, rather than a phone. I don't know about iPhones, but the Apple iPad has no GPS capability off-grid and is therefore not a viable candidate. After pretty thorough research I selected the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8". I suspect that a poll of users on this forum would indicate that the Samsung tablets far outnumber the iPads in use (although I have no data to prove that). An easy way to determine whether your device will actually track you while out of cell service is to put it into Airplane mode (which kills all wifi, Bluetooth, cell connectivity). If you have autonomous GPS service it will still track. I also use an app called GPS Test which actively monitors GPS satellite connectivity, to further validate proper GPS reception.

I prefer Gaia GPS mapping software, as it has a thorough library of map styles including (but not limited to) the following:
  • USGS Topo
  • USGS National Map
  • OpenStreetMap
  • NatGeo Trails Illustrated
  • Mapquest Satellite
  • Shaded Relief Topo
  • USFS Forest Roads
  • USFS Topo Map
  • Wildfire burn area maps
  • Wilderness Area maps
...and countless others.

Any or all of these can be layered with adjustable transparency to provide an almost infinite variety of map data at a glance. It will also allow you to import other maps. In fact, I routinely import GoogleEarth map segments for the areas that I intend to travel. And, of course, it will track your travel (and save it if you prefer), keeping a record of all pertinent statistical info including distance, average speed, max speed, elevation change, etc.

I have Avenza, AllTrails and Ride Command loaded as well, but none of them offer as much as Gaia in my opinion.

Steve

S

Stel

Jan 22, 2019
Avon
Ownership

1. Talon R
Apple does have a GPS in specific IPads. I use it on my boat for Navionics.

Reactions: stellarpod
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Have tried android in the past and really dont care for it. Have been running my Ipad the last year+ and i like it much better. However... maps are very limited, and some of the WV maps the color coding is wrong and can get you on a trail you didnt want to go on. Since im always stuck leading my group i figured it was time to bite the bullet and get a lifetime trailmaps. Gives me reasons to try new places too. Right now amazon has a deal where you get a $50 discount with one of their 10" ones. Then you just have to buy the lifetime app (fingers crossed for a black friday deal)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q5VM8ZD/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Cobweb

Cobweb

Mar 2, 2019
Hexi Hollow
Ownership

1. Talon R
Well I got back from 3 days of riding at Hatfield McCoy using the 10 inch Tab 4. With the wife holding it we navigated outlaw trails for a day and everything worked very well. I will be getting a renewed 8 inch Tab from amazon for about $115 along with ram mounting.

Appreciate everyone's feedback and advice.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well I got back from 3 days of riding at Hatfield McCoy using the 10 inch Tab 4. With the wife holding it we navigated outlaw trails for a day and everything worked very well. I will be getting a renewed 8 inch Tab from amazon for about $115 along with ram mounting.

Appreciate everyone's feedback and advice.
did you find the 10" too big?

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I believe most of us prefer a small tablet for nav, rather than a phone. I don't know about iPhones, but the Apple iPad has no GPS capability off-grid and is therefore not a viable candidate. After pretty thorough research I selected the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8". I suspect that a poll of users on this forum would indicate that the Samsung tablets far outnumber the iPads in use (although I have no data to prove that). An easy way to determine whether your device will actually track you while out of cell service is to put it into Airplane mode (which kills all wifi, Bluetooth, cell connectivity). If you have autonomous GPS service it will still track. I also use an app called GPS Test which actively monitors GPS satellite connectivity, to further validate proper GPS reception.

I prefer Gaia GPS mapping software, as it has a thorough library of map styles including (but not limited to) the following:
  • USGS Topo
  • USGS National Map
  • OpenStreetMap
  • Mapquest Satellite
  • Shaded Relief Topo
  • USFS Forest Roads
  • USFS Topo Map
  • Wilderness Area maps
...and countless others.

Any or all of these can be layered with adjustable transparency to provide an almost infinite variety of map data at a glance. It will also allow you to import other maps. In fact, I routinely import GoogleEarth map segments for the areas that I intend to travel. And, of course, it will track your travel (and save it if you prefer), keeping a record of all pertinent statistical info including distance, average speed, max speed, elevation change, etc.

I have Avenza, AllTrails and Ride Command loaded as well, but none of them offer as much as Gaia in my opinion.

Steve

Weird that Apple iPads don’t have gps.... my iPad Pro has never lost signal from Colorado to Moab to Tennessee. I believe you mean to say that non cellular data iPads have no gps, cellular iPads do in fact have true gps that works very well. And the program I use for it has High definition satellite mapping downloaded as well. Topo maps+ being one of the best apps for that particular use. I mean how would pilots use them for aviation or boaters use them on seas other wise?

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Weird that Apple iPads don’t have gps.... my iPad Pro has never lost signal from Colorado to Moab to Tennessee. I believe you mean to say that non cellular data iPads have no gps, cellular iPads do in fact have true gps that works very well. And the program I use for it has High definition satellite mapping downloaded as well. Topo maps+ being one of the best apps for that particular use. I mean how would pilots use them for aviation or boaters use them on seas other wise?

You can also buy a bluetooth GPS reciever that works very well for non cellular models. And i think Maps+ is the best App out there, on either Andorid or IOS (my opinion after using a bunch of them).

Reactions: stellarpod and TimG
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yes, 10 inch too big to mount.
Ok, i have a Ipad Air (about 10") currently in my Talon and felt it was perfect for me as a driver mounted to the passenger grab bar. Also have Galaxy 10.1 coming, but haven't been on the trail with them in my Talon, only in my Pioneer. Was it to big for you as the driver or the passenger? I used a Ram mount to the Square Tubing with a short extension

Reactions: TimG
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X

Indeed, I stand corrected. I should have said that non-cellular iPads do not have GPS capability. Perhaps I should expound more upon my reasons for choosing the Samsung Galaxy Tab A over the iPad.
  1. I purchased the 128gb 8" Tab A (new, 2019 version) for just over $200. A similar spec'd iPad is substantially more expensive.
  2. The Galaxy Tab A has the ability to take on board up to 400gb more expanded memory via the micro SD card. This is a substantial advantage where downloading and maintaining maps are concerned.
  3. The Galaxy is essentially able to be used as a storage device with access to all files. This allows it to be used for other storage duties for documents, etc. that the iPad platform has never really been adept at doing. In my experience the iPad does not lend itself to file storage/access duties (I own an iPad also).
  4. The Galaxy Tab A gets rave reviews regarding the sensitivity of their GPS facility.
  5. I first purchased the 10", but quickly determined that it was just too big for the Talon's cockpit and returned it in exchange for an 8" and I've never regretted that decision. In my opinion, the 8" is the perfect fit for this application.
Sorry for my initial erroneous statement.

Steve

Last edited:
Reactions: CID and TripleB
Cobweb

Cobweb

Mar 2, 2019
Hexi Hollow
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ok, i have a Ipad Air (about 10") currently in my Talon and felt it was perfect for me as a driver mounted to the passenger grab bar. Also have Galaxy 10.1 coming, but haven't been on the trail with them in my Talon, only in my Pioneer. Was it to big for you as the driver or the passenger? I used a Ram mount to the Square Tubing with a short extension

I just felt it took up too much space and just didn't fit in the space between the grab handle and the speedo. Also concerned it would interfere with the grab handle for my wife. Don't get me wrong, it was nice to have larger screen and I can use all the help I can get these days. Just this the 8 inch will do just fine.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Right the WIFI only version doesn’t the cellular version does.

T

Tommyp

Dec 2, 2017
Covington La
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Best Buy has tablets on sale for Black Friday, which would be better a tab A or a tab E? E is a little cheaper.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Best Buy has tablets on sale for Black Friday, which would be better a tab A or a tab E? E is a little cheaper.

Don't know anything about Tab E. I use an 8" Tab A and it works perfectly.

Steve

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Tab A is much newer, has more memory and a faster processor and comes with Android 9 (the E is still on 5.1). WELL worth the $20/$60 more (depending on what size you buy).

Also, the Tab E only comes in 9.6" ($100), the A comes in 8" ($120) and 10.1" ($159).

S

Stel

Jan 22, 2019
Avon
Ownership

1. Talon R

• USGS Topo
  • USGS National Map
  • OpenStreetMap
  • Mapquest Satellite
  • Shaded Relief Topo
  • USFS Forest Roads
  • USFS Topo Map
  • Wilderness Area maps
...and countless others.

Steve

S

Stel

Jan 22, 2019
Avon
Ownership

1. Talon R
I pads do have GPS. you just have to buy the right one. I use navionics app in the most remote waterways in northern Ontario and they work great.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I pads do have GPS. you just have to buy the right one. I use navionics app in the most remote waterways in northern Ontario and they work great.

Yes, I corrected this further into the thread. I should have stated that iPad has no GPS capability UNLESS you purchase the model with cell capability, i.e. more expensive.

Nonetheless, I stand by my Galaxy Tab A recommendation, as it is a fraction of the cost of the phone-capable iPad and can be used as a legitimate storage device, a task at which iPads have never really excelled. My 8" Galaxy tablet cost me about $250, with micro SD upgraded memory giving me a total of 278gb of storage capacity (handy for maps and other things). A similarly-equipped iPad would easily costs double or more. I will grant that the iPad has superior processing speed, but it's not really relevant to this application (I've had no issues with sluggish performance from the Galaxy).

Finally, I've seen several online electronics reviews indicating that Samsung's GPS performance is the best available in a tablet today.

For these reasons I opted for Samsung over iPad for dedicated SxS duty (I own an iPad, BTW, and love it for other duties).

Steve

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
UPDATE:

My Samsung Tab A 8" has proven to work pretty well on the trail. However, now that I've loaded it up with maps from Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado and Oklahoma, I'm pushing the limits of the 32gb internal memory. I thought the micro SD card would resolve this issue as I changed the default of my GaiaGPS software to the SD card, rather than internal memory. Sadly, I find that, even though I designated the SD card for map data storage, the Gaia software won't actually accommodate that, instead insisting on internal memory storage only. That effectively renders the "expandable" memory via SD as invalid (at least in my application).

One other thing: While re-reading this thread I found where I inadvertently mentioned that my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" was a 128gb model. It is NOT. It is only 32gb. The original 10", which I took back and traded for the 8", was 128gb. Sadly, the 8" is not.

NOW, I could delete a bunch of downloaded GaiaGPS maps and only reload them for specific areas as I ride, but that would frankly be a pain. Instead, I'm likely going to find a newer alternative with much more internal memory - at least 128gb and probably more. Lesson learned. Always, and I mean ALWAYS, opt for more internal memory than you expect to need.

One final note: I have since upgraded my cell phone to a new iPhone 13 Max Pro, which has a pretty large screen in its own right and has GPS capability even without cell service. Arguably, it could suffice in lieu of a tablet and I have loaded GaiaGPS on it as well. And since its got a terabyte of internal memory, I'll not likely run into any storage issues anytime soon. But, I'm opting to still run a tablet and use the iPhone as back up.

Steve

Reactions: IDIOT and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!