20161217_124813.jpg

P1000 The Making Of Pete

J

JTW

yes, all the way around... I can't say enough about the Elkas... I'm sorry I ever doubted them... those boys dialed me up perfectly. I didn't have to make any adjustments and don't plan on touching any of the dials. they sent me a form that tells how many turns each setting was tuned from the factory, so I can always go back to those settings if it ever gets messed up.
Sweet.. wonder how necessary the rear shocks are? Any input there?

Reactions: Windrock1000
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just hate to buy wheels and tires for a brand new machine.
I understand that... I held off for a year and got some of my money's worth from the stock wheels/tires. I hate that the factory wheels are such a weird width and offset. I wish it came with the same size wheels all the way around. oh well. it stung for a bit, but all good now after a nice ride!

Reactions: pct and JTW
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Ok... now I want the lift. Never thought I would but you guys just wont shut up about them.

@JTW - when I put the 28" Evos on mine, the ride was much better than stock. Probably a combination of decent rubber and an extra inch of width on each corner. I hate to have almost new tires sitting in the garage. I figured I would use when I didnt need the evos but I just cant put them back on.

Cant wait to get some shocks on. I might try just the fronts but that seems kinda half a$$ed

Pete - curious to know how that does with some extra weight in the back. I'm reluctant to give up the self-leveling rears.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok... now I want the lift. Never thought I would but you guys just wont shut up about them.

@JTW - when I put the 28" Evos on mine, the ride was much better than stock. Probably a combination of decent rubber and an extra inch of width on each corner. I hate to have almost new tires sitting in the garage. I figured I would use when I didnt need the evos but I just cant put them back on.

Cant wait to get some shocks on. I might try just the fronts but that seems kinda half a$$ed

Pete - curious to know how that does with some extra weight in the back. I'm reluctant to give up the self-leveling rears.
I had them dial the shocks in assuming that I was carrying an extra 85lbs in the rear. I was the same way about the self levelers but didn't want to do it half assed either... I have not regrets. this ride is tittiemungous!

J

JTW

I'd like to know how it does..

advertisement
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I had them dial the shocks in assuming that I was carrying an extra 85lbs in the rear. I was the same way about the self levelers but didn't want to do it half assed either... I have not regrets. this ride is tittiemungous!
So if you loaded up to the max - 1000 lb - how would adjust the shocks for optimum performance?
Just the turn of a dial 10 second job or 10 minutes requiring tools?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wonder how just shocks would do then?
The HL stiffens up the shock mount locations. They're well worth the money. I'd bet his experience today would've been a little diminished without it.

Reactions: pct and JTW
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So if you loaded up to the max - 1000 lb - how would adjust the shocks for optimum performance?
I'm not sure whether you would need to adjust. they seem perfectly capable straight out of the box. the high speed and low speed damping are just the turn of a know. the rebound adjust is a turn of a screw. the spring pre load is a collar with an allen bolt that locks it in place.

Reactions: ghost
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1000lb is not a realistic payload for me... if I did haul that much, it would be temporary and probably short distance so I wouldn't bother to adjust. Like I said before, not even sure you'd need to. these shocks are very capable. made the machine MUCH more capable.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pete looks friggin awesome!!! What a transformation!!! Money well spent my friend.​
I spent a purdy penny, but it was WELL worth it my friend! Old Pete is finally complete! Ready to run with the big dawgs! hell, I may even show up at Mary's Ridge next week... gotta work Monday and Tuesday, but off all week after that...

Reactions: pct, JTW and sharp
Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Move out of the way! I'm lost?
Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
yes, all the way around... I can't say enough about the Elkas... I'm sorry I ever doubted them... those boys dialed me up perfectly. I didn't have to make any adjustments and don't plan on touching any of the dials. they sent me a form that tells how many turns each setting was tuned from the factory, so I can always go back to those settings if it ever gets messed up.

Very happy for you brother. Looks great!

advertisement