Thread worth posting

Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm looking for a new carry gun too. Right now I carry a Ruger P95 (9mm) but it is really big, no way I'll be able to conceal it in the summertime. I really liked the Ruger LC9 but wouldn't you know, it's not available in CA anymore. I could get a Ruger LC380 but I've never shot .380 before, I always liked 9mm the best. I also checked out S&w M&P in 9mm, but I don't know, it's a little bigger than the Ruger. I liked the compact Glock as well, my wife has a Glock19 that is a nice shooting gun, so many choices!!

The .380 round is almost the same a a 9mm. Think it was originally a German round. Was also known as a 9mm short. Kinda surprising for the size of the gun. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you listen to Gabe Suarez, and @Manwell very long you will see they are proponents of the 9mm because of the number of rounds that can be carried and a few other reasons. All my life I've been a 45acp fan and carried several different models in my career in LE. And I believe it was, and still is a good choice when confronting the crackhead, carjacker or gang banger who you may encounter in any city in the USA. But listening to Gabe's arguments now make a lot of sense. You have a much higher chance today, than just a few years ago of encountering a Jihadist or several jihadists bent on killing a lot of people and probably with superior firepower. You need more rounds and the precise tool that will place those rounds accurately from across a movie theater or restaurant or even a street. We need to be more concerned with multiple targets that you can shoot in the face from those distances, (Gabe's words). That being said when I'm in a certain area that I frequent 3 days a week I have my trusty .380 in a carry wallet along with a Suarez knife, (thanks Craig), because it's better than throwing stones and it will get me out of the building with an active shooter, (I hope). But given the choice, now I would much rather have a 9mm with 15+rounds with another 15 on my side. Today's 9mm ammo is a much better stopper than 20yrs ago too. So in a time when you may have to shoot a Jihadist in the face because he probably has body armor do it without hesitation with a tool you can shoot well.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Suarez is the real deal in my humble opinion... I've trained with him 7 different times and most of those were multiple day classes. The Warrior Talk forum is a great place to peruse and study. Many people have their own conception of what happens in a gunfight at bad breath distances, until you do it (train) force on force, you really don't fully understand. Open carry? I have nothing against it whatsoever if that's your cup of tea. However, if I'm the bad guy I shoot you first when I walk in the room, just sayin'... Revolvers? Don't understand why anyone would make this choice for self defense considering all of the better options available, but that's just me. Choose your weapon carefully and I 100% agree with the "feel" comments. I personally run a Sig P226 TACOPS fitted with a RMS, AIWB with a spare clip... this allows me 41 opportunities to solve the issue at hand. Generally speaking I use only one of my guns for EDC and it's the one I train with and I know it very well, don't want any surprises. As with most anything martial if you don't train, practice and have the right mindset it probably isn't going to work the same as in your dreams...

J

JTW

Why's that?
Most women don't take the time to train to be profecient with a semi auto for when things go wrong. A wheel gun is simple in the concept of just pull the trigger. If it doesn't go bang.. pull he trigger again. No slide or magizine to fumble with. I'm all for people being able to defend themselves and for them to be proficient with their weapon but in reality MOST folks don't train enough for stressful situations and more particularly for when things go wrong in those situations. That's where simple is good. I obviously wouldn't choose a revolver for a hostile situation with multiple shooters.. but a lady walking back to her car after dark with a revolver in her pocket is perfect to thwart an attacker.

advertisement
J

JTW

I knew several women who shot very well. Bettervthan most men. Most men don't practice. Lucky to be able to hit a bull in the ass with a barn shovel. Mindset is the greatest weapon. Read Suarez

Samsung Galaxy 7 Active
I'm not saying women can't shoot or don't.. but any training facility would confirm that men are their predominate students for higher level classes.. not that women can't be. But most don't. Most women get their concealed, carry their gun in their purse and rarely shoot. This is where a wheel gun would be better for an individual. If there is a failure to fire will the individual have the wherewithal to manipulate the slide or magizine in a stressful situation? OR does simply pulling the trigger again make for a more reasonable reaction for someone without the training? Same can be said for men, monkeys or midgets.. training and preparation are key. If you don't have those then you need to keep it simple. Wheels guns provide that. Didn't you start your career carrying a revolver?

Reactions: Windrock1000
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
My wife is small in stature. We recently had an intruder in the house while she was home alone. The revelation I got was:
1. My wife is not fully competent with a weapon.
2. My wife is not confident enough to face off against an intruder.
3. My wife will hesitate when quick decisive action is needed.
4. My wife will hesitate if shooting could take a life.

As a result, I'm looking into alternative protection. I'm open to any input you guys might have.

Here is one thing I'm considering.

Capture2

EDIT: I should finish the story. My wife heard the perp and called out. He (assumed) ran to a bedroom and escaped out a window. My wife picked up a gun and couldn't chamber a round. Believing the gun to be faulty she grabbed another gun that was unloaded and exited our bedroom with it. Thankfully the individual was gone instead of waiting for her.
We believe the perp was a meth addict (25 yr old) from down the road.

Last edited:
J

JTW

My wife is small in stature. We recently had an intruder in the house while she was home alone. The revelation I got was:

As a result, I'm looking into alternative protection. I'm open to any input you guys might have.

View attachment 31193
Man, I hate to hear that.. glad she's ok.

Reactions: Miss_Oak
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 31193
The only input I can give you is to never make her mad, because 1-4 will all be reversed and it will catch you off guard when she runs towards you with a gun lol!

Reactions: JTW
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 31193

EDIT: I should finish the story. My wife heard the perp and called out. He (assumed) ran to a bedroom and escaped out a window. My wife picked up a gun and couldn't chamber a round. Believing the gun to be faulty she grabbed another gun that was unloaded and exited our bedroom with it. Thankfully the individual was gone instead of waiting for her.
We believe the perp was a meth addict (25 yr old) from down the road.

She make take the situation more seriously now - enough to train. I know I have taught my wife to shoot but she was not serious until one night before I was headed out of town a body was found a couple roads from us - I asked if she asked if there was a gun the quick access safe and I said yes not that it will do you any good - you don't know the combination. shortening the story about 3 hours later she was pretty well practiced getting the handgun and reloading the shotgun.

Body turned out to be a meth head

I have no experience with tasers but I have positioned Pepper spray near each main door.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I agree with the others...I love my Glocks..and tend to push them..But they aren't everybody's cup of tea. Best to find one that you're comfortable manipulateing and carrying whether it be an auto or wheel gun,no matter the brand.
The shooting instructor I use can reload a wheel gun faster than I can eject and insert clip and rechamber

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!