BOX1

P1000 Tie rod end boots

D

Dchilds75080

May 8, 2019
Richardson, TX
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Are there any resources giving guidance on how to replace the tie rod boots? Mine are destroyed. I've taken the tie rod end off of the machine. I peeled off all the rubber of the boot that I could by hand. I assume there's a groove at the top of the tie rod end that the boot slides into but, for the life of me, I can't seem to get the last bit of rubber out of that upper groove. Is there a trick? Tell me I don't have to buy new tie rod ends...

Thanks in advance!
Derek

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last edited:
Reactions: TripleB and JTW
D

Dchilds75080

May 8, 2019
Richardson, TX
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Reactions: CumminsPusher
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm sure there has been. Just none that have posted about it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
D

Dchilds75080

May 8, 2019
Richardson, TX
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Did you cut the band off?
Band? What band? Is it rubber-coated? I can't see that there's anything but rubber holding the last bit of this thing on. maybe there's a metal band coated in rubber/molded into the boot?

Last edited:
J

JTW

Band? What band? Is it rubber-coated? I can't see that there's anything but rubber holding the last bit of this thing on. maybe there's a metal band coated in rubber/molded into the boot?
Part 12
2E980F10 5941 4E33 9446 8004A41DD67F

Reactions: CumminsPusher
D

Dchilds75080

May 8, 2019
Richardson, TX
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Sorry - this is the outboard side that bolts to the knuckle - the tie rod end with the little boot that holds in the grease. That boot is the part I can't get to come off. Part number 1 is what I'm referring to.

Upload 2019 5 28 15 45 38

Reactions: Ragnar406
D

Dchilds75080

May 8, 2019
Richardson, TX
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Got it - I have a set headed my way. I was hoping to save a little dough but, as usual, I guess that's not an option.

Got ya... yeah, replace the whole balljoint. If the boots are gone the joint won’t be far behind.

D

Dchilds75080

May 8, 2019
Richardson, TX
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Got it - I have a set headed my way. I was hoping to save a little dough but, as usual, I guess that's not an option.

I was able to get them off! It took a hammer, and a sharp chisel but I prayed it off of there and installed the new boot on one side. The joint felt really good and tight. I sprayed it out with brake cleaner and greased it well before installing the new boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JTW

I was able to get them off! It took a hammer, and a sharp chisel but I prayed it off of there and installed the new boot on one side. The joint felt really good and tight. I sprayed it out with brake cleaner and greased it well before installing the new boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have the link to the boot?

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm pretty sure part number #1, 17-18 are all ONE part. They are not meant to come apart. They ship pressed together - assembled. If you look on a parts diagram, nothing is listed for 17-18. If the rubber boot is missing or damaged, you need a whole new tie rod end: $18

2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 SXS1000M5P STEERING GEAR [email protected] ROD Parts - Best OEM Parts Diagram for 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 SXS1000M5P STEERING GEAR [email protected] ROD
No.. 17 and 18 is the end. L or R for almost $50
#1 is the boot.

I see what u see and it's weird bikebandet does not have it listed.

But it is shown on the partzilla link on post #3

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No.. 17 and 18 is the end. L or R for almost $50
#1 is the boot.

I see what u see and it's weird bikebandet does not have it listed.

But it is shown on the partzilla link on post #3

I just removed my tie rod and separated the tie rod end from the knuckle. I assumed they came together as a part because how they were assembled. My bad.

Last edited:
D

Dchilds75080

May 8, 2019
Richardson, TX
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I just removed my tie rod and separated the tie rod end from the knuckle. I assumed they came together as a part because how they were assembled. My bad.

Until the tie rod ends I bought (before I knew I could just replace the boots) arrive in the mail, I won't know for sure - but, I'm told that when you buy the tie rod ends, the boots come with them.

My feeling is that if the tie rod end is in otherwise good shape, just re-boot them and save yourself ~$65. Time will tell if this was the right approach. I'll try to snap some pictures for posterity when I've wrapped up the project.

Reactions: JTW and Hondasxs
M

mdavenpo

Jan 28, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Has there been any resolution to this? I have a like new tie-rod end with a split in the boot. I know the assembly as a whole is good and would like to just replace the boot if possible. Have any of you just replaced the boot successfully? If so, any special tools etc. ?

Btw, this is for a P500

Last edited:
D

Dchilds75080

May 8, 2019
Richardson, TX
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Has there been any resolution to this? I have a like new tie-rod end with a split in the boot. I know the assembly as a whole is good and would like to just replace the boot if possible. Have any of you just replace the boot successfully? If so, any special tools etc. ?

yes, I just replaced the boots. I used a small wood chisel just to work the lip of the boot back off the tie rod end. Once it started moving, it was easy enough to remove the whole thing.

To install the new one, I grabbed a big deep socket (don't remember the size) that fit over the boot, but not over its lip. I put the tie rod end against one jaw of my vise and the ratchet-side of the big socket (with boot inside) against the other jaw and pressed it together. Worked like a champ.