Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Do you have width restrictions? Have 27x9&11 x 14, no rub but at 54 inches wide. If doing it again would consider 12 rims based on more sidewall as others have mentioned for more flex/smoother ride.

Reactions: deerXing
S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Been researching the hell out of 28's lately. You'd be surprised, some tires that are high dollar just don't perform as well as you'd expect in some terrain. Love the idea of a meaner more aggressive tire, deep lugs and side wall protection but they start getting weighty and wheel speed is definitely a factor with this machine, especially with 28's. Carnivores are a good looking all terrain tire but you can't get them for 12" wheels.
My search keeps leading me back to the 2.0's, a light radial that wears like iron. Not great at anything in particular but good at everything and have never let me down. If there's another tire out there that can measure up, I sure can't find it.
Haven't decided yet on the 28's either. Like to take advantage of the 15's low gearing and clutch springs. When my 1000 screw winta tires come off I need to have tires ready to go. The 28x10x12 Blackwater Evo's (30lbs) are kinda my first choice. Have a set of never used silver/gray Big Bear SRA's that I can use that would widen the rear an 1.5" on each side. Kind of intrigued with 4 29x9x14 Maxxis Vipr's on some ITP A-6's(4-3) though. Not a fan of going to 14's but it's a little more sidewall (6-ply radials) and I'll have shocks to help out the ride. I'll need a rear spacer with that set. Fun crap that rattles around my head.....

Reactions: trigger
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I originally went with 25” tire and liked them but I recently moved up to 27x9x12 front and rear on 5+2 wheels. Still using the 1” front 2” rear spacers I used with the stock wheels. You asked for pros and cons of 26” and 27” tires. I think you would be happy with either size but here is my list of pros and cons.

26” or 27” tire Pros:
Smooth ride
More ground clearance
Lower engine revs at higher speed
Better traction ( over stock tires)
Speedometer is corrected ( at least it’s more accurate than with the 24” tires)
26” or 27” tire Cons:
Some power loss (but the P5 low gear handles it well)
Less stability ( easily corrected with wheel offset or spacer)

J

Jazzbo

Feb 8, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
I’m running 27” Rip Saw tires on 14” S. Storm wheels. No problems so far.

44B2F096 D7D6 4D79 843E F0A090F8CA03

Reactions: 1border4manu
WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Been researching the hell out of 28's lately. You'd be surprised, some tires that are high dollar just don't perform as well as you'd expect in some terrain. Love the idea of a meaner more aggressive tire, deep lugs and side wall protection but they start getting weighty and wheel speed is definitely a factor with this machine, especially with 28's. Carnivores are a good looking all terrain tire but you can't get them for 12" wheels.
My search keeps leading me back to the 2.0's, a light radial that wears like iron. Not great at anything in particular but good at everything and have never let me down. If there's another tire out there that can measure up, I sure can't find it.
I’m 600 miles into my 27” (27.75”) Bighorn 2.0s on 12”-2+5 ITP Delta Steel wheels. 11” wide on all four corners. Run 4.5lbs in front and 5 lbs in rear. Great ride. Stable as hell. Made it a totally different machine. I would definitely do it again. Looks mean, IS mean, rides waaaay better. power loss due to size is almost negligible.
JMHO...Your experience will not vary🤪

Last edited:
Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!