elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I’m intrigued by the road warrior 427 but like you can’t find one close by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see why ... I’d be interested as well if I had more truck. That’s a little much for an F250 Super Duty

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can see why ... I’d be interested as well if I had more truck. That’s a little much for an F250 Super Duty

I’m looking for something with s separate garage and that seems to seriously limit your options on size there’s a BIG jump in camper weights once you do that.

But I’m going to be in a unique position of whatever truck I buy will be a tow rig not a daily, since my company is buying me a car and I’m selling the POS Silverado soon!!!!!!!. So a finding a truck to pull the right toyhauler isn’t as painful.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don’t tell a lot of people that. I see big triple axle toyhauler behind 250s all the time. Lol

Or you'll see a triple axle bumper pull behind an F-150/1500
First chance I get I get around and away from those guys. Most of the bigger 5th wheels are DRW only, if you look at some they are 150-300% of rated capacity for a F-250 or even a F-350 SRW at the 5th wheel hitch. Trailer weight may be fine but the hitch weight is way beyond rating.

could always use one of these???

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Don’t tell a lot of people that. I see big triple axle toyhauler behind 250s all the time. Lol

Or you'll see a triple axle bumper pull behind an F-150/1500
First chance I get I get around and away from those guys. Most of the bigger 5th wheels are DRW only, if you look at some they are 150-300% of rated capacity for a F-250 or even a F-350 SRW at the 5th wheel hitch. Trailer weight may be fine but the hitch weight is way beyond rating.

could always use one of these???

Agree with both of you. The smaller 5ers are pushing the 250 max towing but generally are over hitch weight (assuming I am carrying 6 people at 150 pounds each - that is the federally mandated weight assumption for each passenger seat in the cab)

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Agree with both of you. The smaller 5ers are pushing the 250 max towing but generally are over hitch weight (assuming I am carrying 6 people at 150 pounds each - that is the federally mandated weight assumption for each passenger seat in the cab)

yup and depending on what state you are in you may actually have to get a different license for the GCWR for the truck and trailer, Even if the actual weight is under the 26001 limit.

In my unique case I'm gonna get the right used truck for the application, I can shop around for a truck and then pickup a trailer after Ive found one. My state goes by GCWR and requires a Class A endorsement even though its not commercial.
However if getting a different truck is out of question, then only option is different trailer, which it'll probably be lighter AND cheaper so theres the upside.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Already have a non-comml >26K, towing >10k license in SC. Basically a class A CDL without the medical, air brake test, and commercial hassle

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think we’ve decided on a Torque 345 as long as a the pioneer will fit in the garage if not it’ll be a 321.

Now gotta narrow down tow rig options. Who has an opinion on 2012 or newer 6.7L Cummins and Powerstroke?

Looks like the Ram has a higher hitch/load capacity than the Ford.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think we’ve decided on a Torque 345 as long as a the pioneer will fit in the garage if not it’ll be a 321.

Now gotta narrow down tow rig options. Who has an opinion on 2012 or newer 6.7L Cummins and Powerstroke?

Looks like the Ram has a higher hitch/load capacity than the Ford.

I will never own another dodge diesel. Nothing but problems. My fords have been the least amount of problems. My gmc has some, but the fuel mileage was a big difference in the older models. I think Ford has the fuel mileage figured out on the new 17 models. Not sure your wanting a truck that new.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The Cummins /Ram 6.7s that don’t run DEF are dogs. I had one and i never got above 12MPG empty. The later models that use DEF seem to be much more reliable.

My ‘17 F250 is a beast. More power and smoother than any prior truck I have owned.

I have owned several rams staring with a 98 and they were generally good trucks but the last two were piles of excrement. My ‘06 would eat a rear diff every 30-35k miles. And the ‘12 I had was a real disappointment power and mileage wise. I got rid of it after 10 months.

BTW I liked the 345 I saw but it was heavy. Saw one on the web that had an empty wt of 11.5K which would be doable with my 250 (don’t tell the weight police) but I am suspicious of that weight sticker.

The 321 is on my shortlist ... gotta get re-employed or hit the powerball first.

Reactions: nbomar
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Cummins /Ram 6.7s that don’t run DEF are dogs. I had one and i never got above 12MPG empty. The later models that use DEF seem to be much more reliable.

My ‘17 F250 is a beast. More power and smoother than any prior truck I have owned.

I have owned several rams staring with a 98 and they were generally good trucks but the last two were piles of excrement. My ‘06 would eat a rear diff every 30-35k miles. And the ‘12 I had was a real disappointment power and mileage wise. I got rid of it after 10 months.

My 03 went through tranny’s with every oil change.

Reactions: elkaholic
elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
My ‘00 and ‘06 were both 6 speed manuals. The ‘98 was an auto and had tranny issues ... the 24v 5.9 was too much for the Ram 4 speed auto

Last edited:
Reactions: knuckledeep
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will never own another dodge diesel. Nothing but problems. My fords have been the least amount of problems. My gmc has some, but the fuel mileage was a big difference in the older models. I think Ford has the fuel mileage figured out on the new 17 models. Not sure your wanting a truck that new.

BTW I liked the 345 I saw but it was heavy. Saw one on the web that had an empty wt of 11.5K which would be doable with my 250 (don’t tell the weight police) but I am suspicious of that weight sticker.

The 321 is on my shortlist ... gotta get re-employed or hit the powerball first.

Yup I am really leaning toward a ‘12 or newer F-350, but I like the fact that the RAM 3500 SRW has the hitch capacity for the 345. Which I did some digging after seeing Heartland pulling a triple axle 5th wheelwith a Ram SRW in one of their videos.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Get a ford 6.7 they seem to be all around the better choice and i wana ride in one before we buy one sooooo. Shotgun

Where were you in October when I put 3,300 miles on mine in 4 days hauling a Land Cruiser for a friend ....

I can say that trip clinched it for me ... best truck I have ever owned ...

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Where were you in October when I put 3,300 miles on mine in 4 days hauling a Land Cruiser for a friend ....

I can say that trip clinched it for me ... best truck I have ever owned ...

I was tring to make it to go with you but i missed my invite let me guess got lost in the mail again

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve been leaning toward the DRW 350 but the added maintenance cost and size are preferable to avoid.

Reactions: moparornocar
knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A
I’ve been leaning toward the DRW 350 but the added maintenance cost and size are preferable to avoid.
Any heavy duty truck you get is gona have higher cost but its for the toys and a newer truck will tow better

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I LOVED my 2013 platinum f250. I towed my camper (I shouldn’t have) for almost a year just short trips around the house. It had plenty of power just was WAY over weight and I finally decided to step up to a dually. Got a lot better deal on the duramax and the fuel mileage made me decide to go gmc. If the new fords were around then I wouldnt have cared. I would be in a 17 F350. I’ve been drooling over them since they came out...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!