Trailer size

Tim2

Tim2

Sep 18, 2015
Franklinton, N.C.
Can you please confirm for me if you have any accessories?
I am thinking about buying a 5x8 trailer and a pair of aluminium ramps and just taking off the back tailgate but if you can back it on and still close the back tailgate then thats awesome

se a 5X8 trailer for my P5.
I modified the ramp latch to get it to fit. I had the old latch cut off and 2 new latches welded on. The new latch was 1" longer and gave me all the room needed to fit my P5 on the trailer. See the attach photo on how the ramp looks when it is closed, it is at a slight angle.
Total cost to have the modification done to my trailer was $25.00. A lot cheaper than buying a new trailer.

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I use a 5X8 trailer for my P5.
I modified the ramp latch to get it to fit. I had the old latch cut off and 2 new latches welded on. The new latch was 1" longer and gave me all the room needed to fit my P5 on the trailer. See the attach photo on how the ramp looks when it is closed, it is at a slight angle.
Total cost to have the modification done to my trailer was $25.00. A lot cheaper than buying a new trailer.

Nice little mod to get that few extra inches from the angled ramp. :rolleyes:

S

sporter

Nov 4, 2014
Question for sam3006 or anyone. How do you know when the weight is properly distributed? I also use a 5' x 10' trailer and load all the way forward, it really makes my 1/2 ton GMC "squat", I'm using an adjustable hitch in the highest position to try and keep the trailer as close to level as possible but I think there may be a better way to haul this beast.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
@sporter,
Ya, that's too much weight forward. You want enough weight on the tongue that you can't lift it by hand but not too much the truck squats a lot or too less that you can lift the tonge.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i just purchased a new Pioneer 500 and I need a trailer. I read where the P-5 is 103 inches long. Is anyone using an 8x5 trailer with a ramp? I may have to go with the 5x10 or 6x10 if the 5x8 with a ramp won't fit the Pioneer.

I have 4.5 (52 inches) x 8 trailer fits right on. Just got mine P500 yesterday. The trailer size and SxS weight was final factor of buying P500 vs P1000. With P1000 I will end up buying new trailer and truck :). Although my neighbors told me when I moved to Montana to buy truck right away, I proved them wrong when got my first elk and mule deer loaded in my CRV :).

Attachments

• IMG_20150922_165225_313.jpg
    IMG_20150922_165225_313.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 835
  • IMG_20141116_150605_580.jpg
    IMG_20141116_150605_580.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 810
M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
I have 4.5 (52 inches) x 8 trailer fits right on. Just got mine P500 yesterday. The trailer size and SxS weight was final factor of buying P500 vs P1000. With P1000 I will end up buying new trailer and truck :). Although my neighbors told me when I moved to Montana to buy truck right away, I proved them wrong when got my first elk and mule deer loaded in my CRV :).
You the man!

Reactions: solrus
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

THAT SIR, is a dayumm nice ELK. Holy Crap I can only dream of bagging one that size, I'd cram the gutpile in a Bugatti Veyron :eek: to harvest an animal like that, especially since it wouldn't be my Bugatti :D

Did that elk score over 350 BC it sure looks like it.

Reactions: solrus
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
THAT SIR, is a dayumm nice ELK. Holy Crap I can only dream of bagging one that size, I'd cram the gutpile in a Bugatti Veyron :eek: to harvest an animal like that, especially since it wouldn't be my Bugatti :D

Did that elk score over 350 BC it sure looks like it.
Yes it did score 360" bull

R

Ray

Sep 6, 2015
Those are some awesome pictures. And @Tim2 that is an awesome way to modify the trailer.
I live in a small flat and have limited parking space so the smaller trailer is better for me - its a company expense anyway so im not too concerned about replacing it later. Trailers here are usually custom made - there are a couple of companies that make them locally and have some standard designs of everyday trailers, and others import them from china and assemble them locally. Most are custom made.

I was thinking of getting one of those cheaper trailers imported from china, but now am thinking I could spend an extra $1k and get an almost custom UTV trailer or one modified to have ramps on the back like my old custom made quad bike trailer.

I traded in my quad bike to get the P500, and have sold the trailer on our local equivalant of ebay, but am waiting for the guy to come pick it up so i have the cash to go buy a new trailer that the pioneer will fit on.
I thought i could handle hiring one for a month from the local hirecentre but I never actually realised how often I used the quad in bad weather - have had to hire a trailer almost every day last week.

advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@rumplestillbug Welcome to the Club! Nice looking trailer & Ride :D

Talen

Talen

Aug 7, 2015
Central PA
I use a 5x8 from tractor supply. Gate doesn't latch. For now I strap it closed. But planning to weld two extensions on. Allowing hate to close at 1inch back

wyliechief

wyliechief

Dec 29, 2014
Rosamond, CA
Just picked up my 5X9 trailer. A tad tight, but will work fine.

Attachments

• 20151008_162115.jpg
    20151008_162115.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 1,028
Reactions: jay dawge
Buryit

Buryit

Sep 18, 2015
National Forest, NW AR
I have two trailers - 50" X 8' I tried really hard to make this tilt bed work but just bad fit and weight to far back, my other is 8'6"x16' which is way over sized but I just have to make it work till I figure out a trade someday. The big heavy dual axel is a pain to park in places.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Remember to consider the tongue weight with any trailer you buy. Generally its 10%of the trailer plus load weight. Also you will have to be able to get in and out so you need to be able to open the doors. Although expensive Aluma makes a half gate that hinges in the middle and can be folded non-vertical if you need more length. I have been through several trailers form enclosed to open for cars, motorcycles and UTV,s. A poorly loaded trailer makes towing dangerous, as well as tough on the tow vehicle. Trailers are like storage sheds, they are always too small once you load them up.......good hunting. I am using a 81"x156" and have room to spare for the plow, or spare equipment.

This is excellent advice! I do a lot of hauling and loading the trailer correctly is often overloaded and can make a simple transport into a dangerous situation.

K

kf9ez

Nov 29, 2015
The Floe cargo max looks very interesting but I'm concerned about the length. Will a pioneer 500 really fit?
Thanks, Bill

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
I purchased a 78"x168" inch trailer when i bought mine. Just because of motorcycle hauling, mower, scrap metal and other toys. I wanted a dual axle but couldnt pass on the price. I ended up paying $1100 and it is a very heavy duty trailer for the price.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
The Floe cargo max looks very interesting but I'm concerned about the length. Will a pioneer 500 really fit?
Thanks, Bill

I looked it and while it will "fit", I would skip it personally. It has a 125lbs tongue rating and with you having NO room to more the machine forward and back it could be difficult to get the proper balance. If you go back up to HondaSxS posts on front to rear balance you will get a better visual idea of how you need a little room to move the machine front to back to get it correct. I am also not sure if you will clear the sides with your doors (didn't look closely but something to think about).
Unless there is a major storage space issue you are better off getting a little bigger trailer. I am running a 12' and while it should like it would be "Big" it really is not. Gives me room to more forward and back all I want, can throw a spare tire back there if doing a "long" ride and have plenty of room for a cooler. I also find I use the trailer for some Home Depot runs and such that I would have normally used my truck or 12K trailer. Been really handy to have around.
I seen them online for $1600 so for that price you should be able to find a nice steel trailer, or even REALLY nice used one. May even find a Alum. one used around that price. The Alum is really nice as it never rusts but they are expensive (but also hold resale much better than a steel trailer). Depending on what you are towing with the Alum also may offer you a big advantage.
The other thing to always keep in mind is if you buy a different machine you don't want to have to buy a different trailer or if you sell it a little larger one often sells a bit better as the RZR guys (and others) can also use it.
Good luck!

Last edited:
MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
I looked it and while it will "fit", I would skip it personally. It has a 125lbs tongue rating and with you having NO room to more the machine forward and back it could be difficult to get the proper balance. If you go back up to HondaSxS posts on front to rear balance you will get a better visual idea of how you need a little room to move the machine front to back to get it correct. I am also not sure if you will clear the sides with your doors (didn't look closely but something to think about).
Unless there is a major storage space issue you are better off getting a little bigger trailer. I am running a 12' and while it should like it would be "Big" it really is not. Gives me room to more forward and back all I want, can throw a spare tire back there if doing a "long" ride and have plenty of room for a cooler. I also find I use the trailer for some Home Depot runs and such that I would have normally used my truck or 12K trailer. Been really handy to have around.
I seen them online for $1600 so for that price you should be able to find a nice steel trailer, or even REALLY nice used one. May even find a Alum. one used around that price. The Alum is really nice as it never rusts but they are expensive (but also hold resale much better than a steel trailer). Depending on what you are towing with the Alum also may offer you a bug advantage.
The other thing to always keep in mind is if you buy a different machine you don't want to have to buy a different trailer or if you sell it a little larger one often sells a bit better as the RZR guys (and others) can also use it.
Good luck!
We looked for aluminum but found some pretty shoddy manufacturing in the price range for what we were looking for. Just do your research before buying if you plan to get an aluminum trailer.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!