ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The machines will fit on shorter trailers, but consider you can get a 10' trailer for $50 less than a 12' trailer.

The loner trailer will let you distribute your load better for towing.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The machines will fit on shorter trailers, but consider you can get a 10' trailer for $50 less than a 12' trailer.

The loner trailer will let you distribute your load better for towing.

I bought used 4x8' trailer for motorcycle originally couple years ago for 250$ , invested 100$ , placed new floor and etc, repainted and later added 2x2" anglers since new wheels made P500 from 50" to 53" wider. It fits perfectly, no problems with weight. If you have old 4x8' this is required minimum.

Attachments

• edited.jpg
    edited.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 1,257
  • IMG_20151206_121025_327.jpg
    IMG_20151206_121025_327.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 655
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your CRV is really squatting

Fc34c2040a9e1633afaa2274c4314afd

That was my point about a balanced load. A longer trailer would slow you to adjust the tongue weight by shifting the SXS back or forward over the axel(s).

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
We looked for aluminum but found some pretty shoddy manufacturing in the price range for what we were looking for. Just do your research before buying if you plan to get an aluminum trailer.

You are right there - there is a wide variety of trailers out there and some look like they been welded by a 6 year old.....

Reactions: ohanacreek
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Your CRV is really squatting

Fc34c2040a9e1633afaa2274c4314afd

That was my point about a balanced load. A longer trailer would slow you to adjust the tongue weight by shifting the SXS back or forward over the axel(s).

I mean this in the nicest way - I would be careful there, thats a lot of weight for a little car to handle in an emergency maneuver or under hard breaking.

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
I bought used 4x8' trailer for motorcycle originally couple years ago for 250$ , invested 100$ , placed new floor and etc, repainted and later added 2x2" anglers since new wheels made P500 from 50" to 53" wider. It fits perfectly, no problems with weight. If you have old 4x8' this is required minimum.
Just wondering what the axle rating is vs the weight of your pioneer? I know some motorcycle trailers arent rated very high at all.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
When that ones not big enough for all vehicles going....

F09097b681fcffb40917802437df065e

Or when it's over night stays and I need to lock up....

1df9ba3a3e8fb62b16337db61f405737

Reactions: PioneerPete
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just wondering what the axle rating is vs the weight of your pioneer? I know some motorcycle trailers arent rated very high at all.

On my trailer gross carrying capacity is 1400 lbs ( another number gvc .. - 1850 lbs), P500 "Curb Weight 1010 pounds - Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel" plus my extras should be around 300 lbs max ( my guesstimate) . I bought it from a guy who was trailing his golf cart, then found Condor Pit-Stop/Trailer-Stop with a kit and could not be happier for how easy is to put and demount it from trailer with minor modification ( keeps my extra heavy bikes very nice . Since I dont have space/need for bigger trailer , and this also helped me to sway away and to buy P500 instead of P1000. For now it works great for me and when my dad visits me during hunting season. My girlfriend is coming in a week, will see what she will say about P500. I was working on winterizing all my bikes, compressors, lawnmower and she offered help to wait for her , I guess its a good sigh :)
My phlospophy is to maximazie use of what I have before I step up .

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
On my trailer gross carrying capacity is 1400 lbs ( another number gvc .. - 1850 lbs), P500 "Curb Weight 1010 pounds - Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel" plus my extras should be around 300 lbs max ( my guesstimate) . I bought it from a guy who was trailing his golf cart, then found Condor Pit-Stop/Trailer-Stop with a kit and could not be happier for how easy is to put and demount it from trailer with minor modification ( keeps my extra heavy bikes very nice . Since I dont have space/need for bigger trailer , and this also helped me to sway away and to buy P500 instead of P1000. For now it works great for me and when my dad visits me during hunting season. My girlfriend is coming in a week, will see what she will say about P500. I was working on winterizing all my bikes, compressors, lawnmower and she offered help to wait for her , I guess its a good sigh :)
My phlospophy is to maximazie use of what I have before I step up .
I agree with you totally. I just remember looking at some trailers that were only rated at 1000 lbs is why I asked. I got educated on a lot of things when I was wanting to buy my first trailer. Knowing nothing about a purchase is dangerous.....

Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
I have a 5' 6" x 8' 2" tilt bed trailer. I believe the trailer was an old popup camper. I bought the trailer about 7-8 years ago and it is almost perfectly balanced so much so that to drive it empty I need to put three large cinder blocks in the front to give it some tongue weight. I need to back the P500 on it (which fits perfectly by the way) or I have no tongue weight even with the cinder blocks. Backing the P500 on gives is just the right weight distribution. The tailgate shuts with a little over an inch of space. Side doors hit and can be a bit difficult to get in depending on how it it parked but sometimes I just leave the door open.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I've got an aluminum 5x10 trailer coming with a bifolding ramp and 15" tires. Since I'll be towing between Illinois and Montana I wanted to keep the weight down. Should have it in two weeks.

K

kf9ez

Nov 29, 2015
I've got an aluminum 5x10 trailer coming with a bifolding ramp and 15" tires. Since I'll be towing between Illinois and Montana I wanted to keep the weight down. Should have it in two weeks.
Hi,
Just curious about the make and model of the trailer you ordered.
I've been searching for the perfect trailer.
Thanks!

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
I know you probably researched it but I have a question. How did they attach the aluminum body to the steel axle? I found out when I was looking for an aluminum trailer that many manufacturers didn't address the fact that when aluminum and steel come in contact with each other it causes a chemical reaction that either corrodes the aluminum or the steel (I cant remember which). I even saw a few when I was looking that had the (raw) steel from the axle directly in contact with aluminum. I couldn't get a good answer in how it wouldn't cause corrosion from anyone so I ended up buying a steel trailer. A lot heavier but at least I knew enough about steel to be dangerous.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I know you probably researched it but I have a question. How did they attach the aluminum body to the steel axle? I found out when I was looking for an aluminum trailer that many manufacturers didn't address the fact that when aluminum and steel come in contact with each other it causes a chemical reaction that either corrodes the aluminum or the steel (I cant remember which). I even saw a few when I was looking that had the (raw) steel from the axle directly in contact with aluminum. I couldn't get a good answer in how it wouldn't cause corrosion from anyone so I ended up buying a steel trailer. A lot heavier but at least I knew enough about steel to be dangerous.

That's the risk when you need to keep the weight down. I'll expecting to do regular maintance to stay on top of that plus indoor storage. I'll be towing with an old Explorer so I'm really watching the tow weight.

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
That's the risk when you need to keep the weight down. I'll expecting to do regular maintance to stay on top of that plus indoor storage. I'll be towing with an old Explorer so I'm really watching the tow weight.
Is there anything that you can do about it? I really would love to know if there was something that could be done about it...I pull my trailer with an old 96 Montero V-6...lol

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Nice looking trailer! Can you tell me ballpark what you paid for it? Also, how is R and P to deal with?
$2200 out the door with a spare tire. Seem to be good to deal with. I'll know more after I actually get it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!