russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My 2016 1000-3 has a "rattle" in the higher gears when driving slow under load. It seems to be more noticeable when in manual mode in 5th and 6th gears on pavement just lugging along. When I accelerate and rpm's come up, the rattle goes away as the normal transmission whine becomes prominent. Anyone else notice a sound like that? A passenger asked recently if the valves were rattling.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2016 1000-3 has a "rattle" in the higher gears when driving slow under load. It seems to be more noticeable when in manual mode in 5th and 6th gears on pavement just lugging along. When I accelerate and rpm's come up, the rattle goes away as the normal transmission whine becomes prominent. Anyone else notice a sound like that? A passenger asked recently if the valves were rattling.
I just bought a 2019 in November and the tranny does seem to be fairly noisy. I’ve noticed the rattle sound you described but it seems to be normal.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Yeah, it's normal. It's the slack in the front drive shaft when it's not engaged. When you run it 4WD, you'll notice the rattle goes away.

I'm not sure that is the issue. Sounds like it's coming from the rear section of the engine. Hard to tell.

Reactions: Lady01
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Sound like this?

Mine turned out to be front driveshaft. Only noticed on pavement above around 30mph and under load (accelerating or going uphill)

R

rickoshea

mine started doing it around the 650 mile mark.took it into the shop and was told not to worry about it? at least it's documented if it fails later.mine almost sounds like the exhaust is rattling,but it still pulls fine under acceleration.i run mine like i stole it so if it is going to fail it'll happen soon.

C

Chmathu89

May 13, 2019
St. Anne, Il
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sound like this?

Mine turned out to be front driveshaft. Only noticed on pavement above around 30mph and under load (accelerating or going uphill)

Mine makes the exact same noise and I've posted on the forum asking about it and got no answers. Did you replace the front driveshaft or is it something not to worry about? I had my skid plates off and wiggled the drive shaft and it seemed to have more play than I thought it should have and figured that's where the rattle was coming from.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
mine started doing it around the 650 mile mark.took it into the shop and was told not to worry about it? at least it's documented if it fails later.mine almost sounds like the exhaust is rattling,but it still pulls fine under acceleration.i run mine like i stole it so if it is going to fail it'll happen soon.

That's what mine sounds like too.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Does it sound a little like marbles rattling around the heat shields? Cause I've noticed something similar too

Reactions: Lady01 and wm4u
C

Chmathu89

May 13, 2019
St. Anne, Il
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does it sound a little like marbles rattling around the heat shields? Cause I've noticed something similar too
Yes mine resembles the noise you described. I just don't know if its a big deal and needs to be brought to the dealer while it's under warranty.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Yes mine resembles the noise you described. I just don't know if its a big deal and needs to be brought to the dealer while it's under warranty.
I started to notice it not long ago. It only has about 200 miles on it too. I might bring it in one of these days just in case. Like @rickoshea said, if they say it's fine and it fails later on, it'll b on record.

Last edited:
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Mine makes the exact same noise and I've posted on the forum asking about it and got no answers. Did you replace the front driveshaft or is it something not to worry about? I had my skid plates off and wiggled the drive shaft and it seemed to have more play than I thought it should have and figured that's where the rattle was coming from.
I took it to the dealer and they replaced it under warranty. They had the same thoughts that it had more play then it should have.

Reactions: Lady01 and JenElio
LIVINTALL

LIVINTALL

Jan 26, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just looking through the forum and saw this thread. Could what you are hearing be engine ping? High load situations is a good recipe for pinging and can sometimes sound like marbles in a tin can.

wojtalon

wojtalon

Jul 30, 2020
Golden, Colorado
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have the same rattling noise and it's driving me bonkers. Have a listen to the video to see if you might have more ideas to help identify the noise.
If you watch the suspension move with the noise, it feels like it's in the suspension.

W

wm4u

Mar 16, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you ever get any answers on this? My 2021 with 200 miles does exactly what you’re describing. Sounds like marbles in the rear when in a higher gear below 3k rpm

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Did you ever get any answers on this? My 2021 with 200 miles does exactly what you’re describing. Sounds like marbles in the rear when in a higher gear below 3k rpm

Nope, no idea. It's still doing it. It might be the infamous chain tensioner.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!