P1000 Triple Battery?

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you considered adding one of these? I’m thinking a Jigawatt might just resolve your issue😎

Well, yeah, okay, but you may have a problem sourcing adequate Uranium-235 to power the system, and perhaps more importantly, adequate suspension to handle the additional weight of the lead shielding to make it safe. For sure you won't have to worry about adding a light bar . . . the whole thing will glow in the dark.

Reactions: Squeegee
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
the generator\battery charger\large deep cycle battery option above appears to be the best technical option.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks @Robobrainiac , if I go to the big battery I'll be studying your stuff.

I've started wondering if one could get a high output alternator for this machine, and have reached out to a company that specializes in them.
The larger amperage output on the charging system would be super awesome!

Here are some pictures of my plug area. The battery charger is from Menards. In order to use the battery charger with it's normal alligator clips I have them connected to another female style attwood plug with the clips on the ends of it.

The plug is directly under the driver.

IMG20220403165538 IMG20220403165546 IMG20220403170135

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
So, I have a dual battery setup that I've been running for two seasons with great performance.

Late last season, I added a pair of VisionX light cannons, and finally went too far with my amp draw. I can run them about 5 minutes before my stereo starts to break up.

Sure, I could give up and dial back the lighting power, but where's the fun in that?

I started thinking about replacing my mighty max aux battery with a deep cycle under the seat. Then it occurred to me, do I need to replace it? What if I just added? I could put a deep cycle marine battery in as a 3rd, and run the winch and these high-powered lights off that big-ass battery.

Why not? Thoughts?

Consider getting another Mighty Max and wiring it in parallel with the aux battery. Short fat cables between the two wouldn't cause much resistance. Even then, with what you're running, you're obviously drawing more than the stator can handle and pulling from the battery. Anything you do will only be buying you more time.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Well, yeah, okay, but you may have a problem sourcing adequate Uranium-235 to power the system
That was the old version. The new version can run on almost anything, such as banana peels, beer and aluminum cans.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I contacted a couple of shops that specialize in stators / alternators - neither of them offered any solution other than to sell me a direct replacement that would be the same specs as the OEM.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I contacted a couple of shops that specialize in stators / alternators - neither of them offered any solution other than to sell me a direct replacement that would be the same specs as the OEM.

Department of Everything Old is New Again

Thank you for your inquiry. This should solve your problem just fine. We recommend one on each wheel.

Renewable Energy

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
advertisement
T

TAZ66

Feb 6, 2022
Oklahoma city Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, I have a dual battery setup that I've been running for two seasons with great performance.

Late last season, I added a pair of VisionX light cannons, and finally went too far with my amp draw. I can run them about 5 minutes before my stereo starts to break up.

Sure, I could give up and dial back the lighting power, but where's the fun in that?

I started thinking about replacing my mighty max aux battery with a deep cycle under the seat. Then it occurred to me, do I need to replace it? What if I just added? I could put a deep cycle marine battery in as a 3rd, and run the winch and these high-powered lights off that big-ass battery.

Why not? Thoughts?
It will cause over load on charging mags and burn them out because high amp to recharge batteries

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
It will cause over load on charging mags and burn them out because high amp to recharge batteries
I'm no 'lectrical expert, but wouldn't this only be an issue if one (or more) of the batteries were allowed to get drawn down really low, forcing the system to do something it's not designed to do: charge a battery instead of maintain it? You overwork the charging system not because it has multiple batteries, but because one or more of them is severely undercharged.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I wonder if forcing the relatively small oem alternator to operate at maximum charge for long periods while driving your Pioneer with all the lighting loads would overheat and overwork it to the point of failure?

I suspect it would.
I would agree with what you suspect. :)

Also, a poorly grounded battery, as well as a bad battery itself, will overload the charging system to eventual failure.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
@bumperm , where did you get the 455 watts figure? I was looking at the service manual and they have it listed at 0.6kW/5000 rpm.
0.06kw = 60 watts, right? Move the decimal point three places to the right and remove the "k" in kw.

You should be able to calculate the wattage drawn by all the lights you want to operate. I believe it will exceed 60 watts.

Multiple or high capacity batteries sound like a clean, uncomplicated solution to providing all the current you need for lighting but the moment you start the engine, the small, light duty alternator will begin struggling to maintain/recharge the batteries and maintain a full charge.

In simple layman's terms, the Honda alternator senses battery voltage and will try to replace the current draw by the aux lighting.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Modern automotive electrical systems are designed so the alternator carries the designed electrical load and recharges the starting battery if and when it is discharged.

The battery or batteries are designed to provide starting power and temporary electrical power when the engine is not running such as parking lamps or flashers for a limited time.

Alternators are not designed to meet the demand of aftermarket electrical devices and heavy lighting loads.

Addition of an optional OEM or aftermarket alternator with greater capacity would be a better choice than adding numerous batteries.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's 0.6kW, not 0.06, so 600W.

I'll probably dial back the lights based on all the feedback. I don't think I can find a higher output stator.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
50 amps? That's too much. If my old and feeble brain remembers correctly the formula is P = I x E which is power = voltage x current. If the output of a Pioneer alternator is 600 watts then 600 divided by 12 volts = 50 amps. That sounds like a lot for such a small alternator ands mall load.

Are you sure about the specs?

I agree. Probably very hard to find a higher output stator or alternator

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Well, perhaps the OIEM Honda alternator is more capable than I assumed.

I guess the question to ask is how much current do those large aux lighting racks draw?

Reactions: Squeegee
advertisement