P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, I have a dual battery setup that I've been running for two seasons with great performance.

Late last season, I added a pair of VisionX light cannons, and finally went too far with my amp draw. I can run them about 5 minutes before my stereo starts to break up.

Sure, I could give up and dial back the lighting power, but where's the fun in that?

I started thinking about replacing my mighty max aux battery with a deep cycle under the seat. Then it occurred to me, do I need to replace it? What if I just added? I could put a deep cycle marine battery in as a 3rd, and run the winch and these high-powered lights off that big-ass battery.

Why not? Thoughts?

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So, I have a dual battery setup that I've been running for two seasons with great performance.

Late last season, I added a pair of VisionX light cannons, and finally went too far with my amp draw. I can run them about 5 minutes before my stereo starts to break up.

Sure, I could give up and dial back the lighting power, but where's the fun in that?

I started thinking about replacing my mighty max aux battery with a deep cycle under the seat. Then it occurred to me, do I need to replace it? What if I just added? I could put a deep cycle marine battery in as a 3rd, and run the winch and these high-powered lights off that big-ass battery.

Why not? Thoughts?
🤔.......do y'all not have a sun up there in MI? How much night riding you doing? 😂😂😂

I don't know enough about the charging system in a P1K5 but I would think it wouldn't be a problem...... 🤷‍♂️

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I love night riding, and I have a fascination with lights on the trail. It goes back to being a little kid riding in my Dad's Manx buggy in the dark with a row of big lights.

Those cannons kill the long view!

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know enough about the charging system in a P1K5 but I would think it wouldn't be a problem...
It seems that if it took 3rd priority, it shouldn't be a problem. If I really drained it hard I could just back off the big lights and charge it when I got home.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
A capacitor? I know a battery is capacitance, but what kind of capacitor could I add that you're thinking of?
Never mind! I was referring to your stereo breaking up. I used to run capacitors on my amps for big power draws but I guess if your running them big lights for a while a capacitor won't do much for your tunes.

🤔....how could you run a third battery with the "dual set up" and make sure it was third in line for charge?

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A capacitor? I know a battery is capacitance, but what kind of capacitor could I add that you're thinking of?
A super capacitor will be of absolutely no help for what you are doing. An SC stores electric energy and is able to address *short* high demand loads (think the deep booms from a large woofer in an audio system). It'll be of no use at all for sustained loada like lighting. (Consider that a battery "makes" electricity by giving back a good portion of the charging current put into it. A SC simply stores a relatively small amount of electricity, it can dump that back quickly, but then it's done until it's charged back (which happens quickly if the energy is available, but there's no real gain as there is with a battery that's been charging overnight.

The engine's charging system on the P1K can deliver about 455 watts or 37.5 amps at 5,000 RPM (IIRC) of that, a good bit, guessing pushing half, is needed for the running gear. So a safe guess is you have maybe 20 amps max to run stuff or you are discharging batteries. As an example, my Nilight 54" light bar draws a measured 16.5 amps (not the 24 amps their claimed 312 WATTs would suggest).

CORRECTION! It's 600 watts (I'd looked it up on line above - instead of checking service manual - and quoted info for the 700 model. Sorry! Thanks @P1K5Dave for bringing that to my attention.

What to do? Watch your volt meter while running and adding electrical load. If you voltage is falling past 12.5 and heading south, it would be wise to do a load shed (shut unnecessary stuff down) if you have a long way to go and a short time to get there.

Last edited:
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Never mind! I was referring to your stereo breaking up. I used to run capacitors on my amps for big power draws but I guess if your running them big lights for a while a capacitor won't do much for your tunes.

🤔....how could you run a third battery with the "dual set up" and make sure it was third in line for charge?
You could do that by using two True battery isolators. Both would be hooked to the main battery and to their respective aux batteries. Do I recommend this? Not really, though it'll work and would be arguably better that running the first two batteries into the ground!

The battery under the seat is of concern unless there's a way to keep it at a reasonable temperature. With under seat temps I don't know how high, you might want to provide venting for the battery compartment or you may be seeing short battery life.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
...though it'll work and would be arguably better that running the first two batteries into the ground!
I'm only really beating on the aux battery. That's the job of the isolator, right? My primary battery should be untouched by the high demand.

Also, yeah - under seat temps are a concern. I know there are several guys on here running a battery under their seat.

Reactions: Squeegee and Lady01
advertisement
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You should mount a large automotive battery charger under your seat, connect it to your aux battery, and plug it in to the Honda generator mounted in the bed.

Then add more light

Are you mocking me  by daveac1117

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Post #63

I would just recommend a big battery under the seat. I will get some pictures later today of my backup charging method to show how I did that.

Basically replaced the ends of a battery charger with this:

https://amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01J60IU7E?tag=sxsweb24-20

Attached this to the top of the battery and mounted the output plug under the seat:

https://amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01J60IUCE?tag=sxsweb24-20

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks @Robobrainiac , if I go to the big battery I'll be studying your stuff.

I've started wondering if one could get a high output alternator for this machine, and have reached out to a company that specializes in them.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@bumperm , where did you get the 455 watts figure? I was looking at the service manual and they have it listed at 0.6kW/5000 rpm.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
You'll need a very long extension cord to stretch from our home to wherever you ride.

The Pioneer alternator won't be able to recharge all those batteries.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would be banking on the big battery to give me a lot of buffer time in the absence of enough power from the alternator, and then would make up for it by charging overnight when I'm back home.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I wonder if forcing the relatively small oem alternator to operate at maximum charge for long periods while driving your Pioneer with all the lighting loads would overheat and overwork it to the point of failure?

I suspect it would.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@bumperm , where did you get the 455 watts figure? I was looking at the service manual and they have it listed at 0.6kW/5000 rpm.
Thanks for the correction (I went back and edited post). I mistakenly grabbed info online for the 700, instead of RTFM!

Reactions: Squeegee
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!