BOX1

Talon Turbo

C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
It does show boost but not AFR, we've installed a gauge to display both as well in his. I'm guessing the ECM isn't capable of AFR ouput. He had to have a 2nd O2 sensor installed to read.

The units with failures are discouraging, but his is trucking right along so far.

We're also looking into why the ECM won't identify itself through our MCS after flashing. Only displays EPS and I4WD modules now.

I believe the PV3 can read AFR if you install the second wideband O2 sensor. What’s another few hundred $$$ lol

Reactions: 93whitese-r
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I believe the PV3 can read AFR if you install the second wideband O2 sensor. What’s another few hundred $$$ lol
I can confirm this to be true...

GoTalon

GoTalon

Feb 7, 2020
Yuma, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Can anyone tell me if there will be a tune for PV3 for the Jackson kit? What is the warranty on the Jackson kit? Is there a downside to using the Trinity exhaust with the kit? Sorry for all the questions, JR has nothing on their site about the Talon Turbo.
I believe it comes with a Jackson a Racing Tuner!

C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
I believe it comes with a Jackson a Racing Tuner!
I know but if you already have the PV3 that’s just money out the window. Unless the tuner from Jackson only does the flash, then having the PV3 would still be worth it for the gauges and data logging

M

Moto4

Mar 18, 2019
Vermont
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
And a 4th blown machine reported out of TX. Hope they post some info on how these are blowing up, hope that it’s user install error.
Where are you finding these reports of blow ups?

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Can anyone tell me if there will be a tune for PV3 for the Jackson kit? What is the warranty on the Jackson kit? Is there a downside to using the Trinity exhaust with the kit? Sorry for all the questions, JR has nothing on their site about the Talon Turbo.
It says in the instructions you cannot use aftermarket exhaust with the turbo kit! I was talking to them last week about this they told me they tested several systems and the factory exhaust out performed them all.
The provided tuner is a flash and remove, no need to keep it plugged in. It does have a "dash" on screen that's would be cool to integrate somewhere in the Talon, but without knowing if its water proof I would be hesitant to do so.

The lack of info is pretty crazy, I dont know who does marketing for those guys but its lacking.

The kit bolts onto the stock muffler flange (2 bolts with springs), so any exhaust that bolts to that flange should be ok. The stock muffler and mount for it is not disturbed at all during install. They use the stock mid pipe hanger as well to hang their muffler to turbo mid pipe.

It's a pretty easy install, we thought at first we would need to remove the bed plate (pretty easy as well, atleast with a stock cage) but found out its not neccessary. The hardest part was installing the lower mount for the turbo support rod on the OEM motor mount. With stock skid plates it would've been easier, we just remove the mount to engine bolts and held it up with a pry bar to get the hardware in.
I got mine on without removing the motor mount!!👍

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon x4
He drove it at Haspin Acres this last weekend and said it would take some getting use to. Whereas before it could be flat footed everywhere, it takes some skill to get up some hills and places without blowing the tires off.

The airbox design is not the greatest for mud/water. We've got a temporary solution for now, but we'd like to replace the entire airbox as an assembly with something more weather friendly.

Also found the K&N numbers for the "proprietary" Jackson filter and sock.
I would like to get some extras if you would share the info!

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Jumping in on the specific question about being able to run an aftermarket slip-on exhaust with the JR turbo kit to offer a small amount of information:

I bought my Evo slip-on exhaust very lightly used from a local guy who has the JR turbo kit and had the Evo slip-on. He wasn’t satisfied with his AFR numbers with the Evo and that’s why I now have the exhaust.

He ran the Evo exhaust with the turbo kit and also ran an wideband AFR gauge to check the combination and it wasn’t to his liking.

Unfortunately, I cannot report exactly what he was seeing in terms of numbers with the Evo exhaust, but the consensus seems to be that JR definitely has the kit tuned to mate up with the factory exhaust and the factory exhaust only.

I understand that this is not my direct hands-on experience so take it for what it’s worth.

Reactions: CID and Moto4
GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Jumping in on the specific question about being able to run an aftermarket slip-on exhaust with the JR turbo kit to offer a small amount of information:

I bought my Evo slip-on exhaust very lightly used from a local guy who has the JR turbo kit and had the Evo slip-on. He wasn’t satisfied with his AFR numbers with the Evo and that’s why I now have the exhaust.

He ran the Evo exhaust with the turbo kit and also ran an wideband AFR gauge to check the combination and it wasn’t to his liking.

Unfortunately, I cannot report exactly what he was seeing in terms of numbers with the Evo exhaust, but the consensus seems to be that JR definitely has the kit tuned to mate up with the factory exhaust and the factory exhaust only.

I understand that this is not my direct hands-on experience so take it for what it’s worth.
I haven't installed a wide band o2 yet I'm definitely going to very soon. After talking with JR i didn't try running the EVO system.

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon x4
The provided tuner is a flash and remove, no need to keep it plugged in. It does have a "dash" on screen that's would be cool to integrate somewhere in the Talon, but without knowing if its water proof I would be hesitant to do so.

The lack of info is pretty crazy, I dont know who does marketing for those guys but its lacking.

The kit bolts onto the stock muffler flange (2 bolts with springs), so any exhaust that bolts to that flange should be ok. The stock muffler and mount for it is not disturbed at all during install. They use the stock mid pipe hanger as well to hang their muffler to turbo mid pipe.

It's a pretty easy install, we thought at first we would need to remove the bed plate (pretty easy as well, atleast with a stock cage) but found out its not neccessary. The hardest part was installing the lower mount for the turbo support rod on the OEM motor mount. With stock skid plates it would've been easier, we just remove the mount to engine bolts and held it up with a pry bar to get the hardware in.
Jackson doesn't want you to leave the hand held plugged in. I asked Oscar himself if they had a mount available he told me no & not to leave it hooked up!

Bo_Darville

Bo_Darville

Jan 7, 2020
Cumming, GA
Ownership

1. Talon R
JR should add a second bung to the downtube. That way people could easily add a wide band o2. I can't see having anything FI without having a way to see AFRs. I would like to buy the kit but there's still some kinks that need to be worked out before I purchase one.

BPINE

BPINE

Nov 15, 2019
San Jose, Ca
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. Talon R
Here is a trend off my AFR/ Boost gauge, as you can see while building boost the afr is all over the place. After talking to someone that knows much more than me his opinion on the afr fluctuation is throttle input related due to foot moving on the pedal over bumps. I will post a few more graphs and it does go rich enough Probably over rich but takes a bit as it looks on the graph but the snapshot in time is only about 3 seconds.

Talon AFR Afr1 AFR2

Last edited:
Bo_Darville

Bo_Darville

Jan 7, 2020
Cumming, GA
Ownership

1. Talon R
From my simple observation, it looks like the fuel tables need to be smoothed out some in the lower boosted sections. The first part of the graph looks good but the second part where the boost looks to build faster than the first part is when AFRs look high.

Reactions: BPINE and GPR1500SC
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Here is a trend off my AFR/ Boost gauge, as you can see while building boost the afr is all over the place. After talking to someone that knows much more than me his opinion on the afr fluctuation is throttle input related due to foot moving on the pedal over bumps. I will post a few more graphs and it does go rich enough Probably over rich but takes a bit as it looks on the graph but the snapshot in time is only about 3 seconds.

View attachment 200894 View attachment 200907 View attachment 200908
If you are expecting to see what you see from dyno runs, you won't unless you test on a dyno. You are going to be hard pressed to get a smooth log without a dyno. What you posted there looks somewhat normal (although a little rich in my opinion), especially if you are on a rough road or otherwise not able to hold steady throttle pressure. It shows more fuel during more boost and vise versa but you should evaluate more data in a controlled environment.

In the absence of a dyno, find a nice, smooth, steep PAVED hill. Start at the bottom, in manual shift to 3rd or 4th (lugging the engine as much as the DCT programming will allow) then steadily (but quickly) go to full throttle and accelerate to the rev limiter. Lather/rinse/repeat at least 5 times and average the results.

Also, you need more data. You don't have the entire picture there because you are missing data like TPS, RPM and Gear. Here is an example of a steep sand hill pull at full throttle on a stock tune. Notice choppy throttle = erratic AFR. Wide open the AFR is much smoother but there are still some blips in it and they correspond to shifts. Then there is a block of erratic AFR and the TPS is jumpy. This is normal and expected when not in a controlled environment...

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
If you are expecting to see what you see from dyno runs, you won't unless you test on a dyno. You are going to be hard pressed to get a smooth log without a dyno. What you posted there looks somewhat normal (although a little rich in my opinion), especially if you are on a rough road or otherwise not able to hold steady throttle pressure. It shows more fuel during more boost and vise versa but you should evaluate more data in a controlled environment.

In the absence of a dyno, find a nice, smooth, steep PAVED hill. Start at the bottom, in manual shift to 3rd or 4th (lugging the engine as much as the DCT programming will allow) then steadily (but quickly) go to full throttle and accelerate to the rev limiter. Lather/rinse/repeat at least 5 times and average the results.

Also, you need more data. You don't have the entire picture there because you are missing data like TPS, RPM and Gear. Here is an example of a steep sand hill pull at full throttle on a stock tune. Notice choppy throttle = erratic AFR. Wide open the AFR is much smoother but there are still some blips in it and they correspond to shifts. Then there is a block of erratic AFR and the TPS is jumpy. This is normal and expected when not in a controlled environment...

View attachment 201050

^^^ this guy.

my turbo sled can have huge fueling issues if my clutching is off.

the load on the motor dictates usage.

Reactions: Mudwing
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!