P1000 Twin Break-In

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Break in procedure?
Does this twin need to be pushed to seal up tight and set the rings, or does it need to be relaxed for a few hundred miles?
Different techs have different theories...

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Break in procedure?
Does this twin need to be pushed to seal up tight and set the rings, or does it need to be relaxed for a few hundred miles?
Different techs have different theories...
Drive it how you normally would so it will learn your driving style.

Reactions: pct and 500
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What they said. First time I used the manual shift, I banged the limiter a couple times with only 2 hrs on it. No worse for wear.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the replies, but was specifically asking about the engine in terms of whether or not it needs to be revved/heated and sealed or not during break-in phase, not how we all personally do it. Hard to tell with these new blocks/valves/components being made of different metals. Anyone know Honda's stance on the break-in phase for this engine? Some, like the new 708 from Yamaha, has a coating on the sleeves (source from a Yamaha tech) that requires an easier break in say than others that benefit from heat and high revs initially to avoid any leaks later on - for example, so that the valves properly seat... I'm just curious BC I didn't see anything glancing through the manual.

Reactions: pct
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I guess it wouldn't hurt to take it easy and slowly progress toward more aggressive driving.

Reactions: sharp

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess it wouldn't hurt to take it easy and slowly progress toward more aggressive driving.
I agree, wouldn't hurt to know "officially".. I just assumed others would know, and I was the ignorant one :)

Reactions: joeymt33
D

Dasmoeturhead

The answers (Hondas answer anyway) is in the manual. Basically take it easy the 1st 20 hrs, if I remember correctly. That's what I did, and so far it's all good. Oil looked new in engine and transmission when I did the 1st service, and this thing burns Zero oil.

advertisement
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The answers (Hondas answer anyway) is in the manual. Basically take it easy the 1st 20 hrs, if I remember correctly. That's what I did, and so far it's all good. Oil looked new in engine and transmission when I did the 1st service, and this thing burns Zero oil.
20 hrs? I have too much ADD to wait that long to get on it! Honda must be confused.

B

Bfree66

Sep 1, 2016
North Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would think take it easy 1st 20hrs. I have a sea doo 4 stroke with super charger 255 horse power, and like the honda it didn't specifically state how to drive it. But my dealership, just advise to take it easy at 1st while everything seated. But now the sea doo with 40 hrs on it is a beast. There's not much on the water that can touch it. I know this is not what you asked but my best .02 cents worth and how im treating mine, so take it for what its worth.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!