BOX1

Ugghhh...broken skid plates bolts. Help!!!

doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
I'm going the Rivnut/Nutsert route. My first broken bolt, drilled out no problem. Applied some heat, and snapped my easy out. Bleep it...they're all getting drilled out for rivnuts.

doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
Sure has...I almost threw the towel in on this bike. Time/weather is my biggest issue. Trying to come up with a project name for this bike. [HASHTAG]#shouldaboughtJTWs[/HASHTAG]

J

JTW

Sure has...I almost threw the towel in on this bike. Time/weather is my biggest issue. Trying to come up with a project name for this bike. [HASHTAG]#shouldaboughtJTWs[/HASHTAG]
Bhahahaha... yep! I do the same thing though.. I try and buy a something less expensive and at a deal.. but end up working on the damn things. I usually end up getting more money in the projects than I should and would have been better off buying new. It's a lot of damn money but I decided this time around with the sxs's that I wasn't going to even mess with someone else's problems. Never mind there aren't many used pioneers out there.

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
You may know this already but McMaster-Carr is a great place for stuff like this. They have rivnuts in stainless and you can get stainless fasteners from them and maybe hold off the corrosion issue. I have been dealing with them for 40 years and if they don't carry it you don't need it. All the best.

J

JTW

Oh and by the way... two different people were eyeballing my 500 HARD and asking about price when
I dropped it off and picked up the 1000.. I think the manager was hoping to swap his out for it too! Lol..

J

JTW

You may know this already but McMaster-Carr is a great place for stuff like this. They have rivnuts in stainless and you can get stainless fasteners from them and maybe hold off the corrosion issue. I have been dealing with them for 40 years and if they don't carry it you don't need it. All the best.
Sweet!

Reactions: Biteme
Swampmonkey

Swampmonkey

Jan 17, 2019
Al
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone know the OEM part number for the skid plate bolts and washers?

Reactions: Biteme
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I had to do the above... had one that was broken off from day one. Tried to grab it with vice grips, no workie. Tried to drill it out and use an extractor, the extractor broke off. Finally pounded the weld nut off the other end and ran a bolt and nut through it.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
As a preventative measure, I made and installed a UHMW skid plate. Used the stock one as a pattern, the new one is almost 10mm thick enabling me to counter sink the Honda washers to flush. Much much more robust than stock and not mashed a bolt or washer since. UHMW is pretty easy to work with basic wood working hand tools, e.g., skill saw, jig saw, hole saw etc.

53C332B1 DA64 4D00 8FE8 29180DFB7D39

Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
Anyone know the OEM part number for the skid plate bolts and washers?
Check Bike Bandit or Partzilla, they should have a expanded view of the hardware. I just purchased M6 bolts with large flat washers to replace a few of mine.

As for the original question, I tried to get a broken bolt out and broke off my easy out, so when I get back to it I will drill a new hole beside it and use a self tapper screw.

Reactions: Smitty335 and HUCK
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Check Bike Bandit or Partzilla, they should have a expanded view of the hardware. I just purchased M6 bolts with large flat washers to replace a few of mine.

As for the original question, I tried to get a broken bolt out and broke off my easy out, so when I get back to it I will drill a new hole beside it and use a self tapper screw.
Bike bandit went belly up

• Sad
Reactions: Smitty335 and Tom_C
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!