P500 UHMW skid plate installed

T

Twitch

May 6, 2016
In the backyard
Got the skid plate installed. Only 1/4" thick but have enough out of a 4'x10' sheet to do this, my roof and A arm guards. Short a few washer, they'll be in Monday. Went with longer bolts and lock washers because the factory bolts are pain, now that it's one piece, to install by yourself. Even reinstalled the louver plate on top of the skid. Gonna try some polynuts in the frame where I drilled new holes under the floorboard. Stripped one already. The round tubing is not very thick...
ATTACH]
IMG 20160611 134142649

Attachments

• IMG_20160611_134142649.jpg
    IMG_20160611_134142649.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 124
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Kool...
Bro.
great job...looks tits

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do love tits... LOL!!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
T

Twitch

May 6, 2016
In the backyard
Well got the polynuts installed first thing this morning. Couldn't wait any longer. I am curious about how the 0.375" thick UHMW plates, you see for sale, fit up in the gas tank area. Not real happy with the waves in mine where the angle bracket is welded to the roll bar. I also didn't drill the new holes in the outside roll bar at your feet. I drilled mine in the bars that connect back to the main frame. Mines not horrible, I'm just picky and I guess it'll serve its purpose.... Guess that's why I had to go with polynuts instead of just tapping the frame itself. Now as long as the other washers come in tomorrow, I'll be done and can move on to the next project.... A arm guards...

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Well got the polynuts installed first thing this morning. Couldn't wait any longer. I am curious about how the 0.375" thick UHMW plates, you see for sale, fit up in the gas tank area. Not real happy with the waves in mine where the angle bracket is welded to the roll bar. I also didn't drill the new holes in the outside roll bar at your feet. I drilled mine in the bars that connect back to the main frame. Mines not horrible, I'm just picky and I guess it'll serve its purpose.... Guess that's why I had to go with polynuts instead of just tapping the frame itself. Now as long as the other washers come in tomorrow, I'll be done and can move on to the next project.... A arm guards...
What are poly nuts Twitch, and how do they work?

T

Twitch

May 6, 2016
In the backyard
What are poly nuts Twitch, and how do they work?
They're used on thin sheet metal so you can have more threads than just through the thickness of the metal, without having to weld on a nut. You drill the required sized whole. Thread the polynut onto the stud of the install gun. It works off of air. Stick the nut into the drilled hole once it's installed on the gun, pull the trigger and the "crushable" part of the nut sandwiches down on the material. Pull the bottom part of the trigger amd it unscrews the stud out of the newly installed nut. They may have another name but that's what we call them at work. Kinda long winded there but hope you understood what I meant. I don't have any pictures of them currently..

advertisement
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
The other option is to use nut serts. They are a steal insert like a hollow rivet with threads in the center of the rivet. You drop them in a hole in the frame and tighten them down and the rivet part crushes to the frame and the threaded internal part of the insert becomes you nut. They work awesome, I used them on my Lexan roof on my P5. If I ever strip the frame threads on the skid plate that is what I'll use for repair. They work great where you can't get a nut on the backside of the material.

j

T

Twitch

May 6, 2016
In the backyard
The other option is to use nut serts. They are a steal insert like a hollow rivet with threads in the center of the rivet. You drop them in a hole in the frame and tighten them down and the rivet part crushes to the frame and the threaded internal part of the insert becomes you nut. They work awesome, I used them on my Lexan roof on my P5. If I ever strip the frame threads on the skid plate that is what I'll use for repair. They work great where you can't get a nut on the backside of the material.

j
Polynut=nutsert. Jcart explained it better. The gun we have that installs them just makes it easier than screwing a bolt in and trying to tighten it down. The air pulls the threads back and crushes it onto the metal.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Polynut=nutsert. Jcart explained it better. The gun we have that installs them just makes it easier than screwing a bolt in and trying to tighten it down. The air pulls the threads back and crushes it onto the metal.
Oh ok, so he did. Thank you Twitch. Is this something that can be obtained from a regular hardware store, or is it a specialty item. Also, what size would be appropriate for the skids? Thanks?

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500

Cool Twitch... If I had the industrial gun I'd do the whole frame to attach the skid plate. The frame wall thickness is pretty thin, ideal for Polynutserts....heh heh. BTW nice job on the skid too looks awesome. I installed the vent hole shroud like you, rear diff and engine oil drain holes is all. The downside of no drain holes is a build up of mud and other flammable keerap... Thankful for a 3000 psi pressure washer.

Suggest checking the tightness of your skid bolts as mine (some) worked out a little over time.

In my sig link have some pix for ideas on stix stopper CV guard that I made with 3mm thick UHMW.

j

Last edited:
Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Cool Twitch... If I had the industrial gun I'd do the whole frame to attach the skid plate. The frame wall thickness is pretty thin, ideal for Polynutserts....heh heh. BTW nice job on the skid too looks awesome. I installed the vent hole shroud like you, rear diff and engine oil drain holes is all. The downside of no drain holes is a build up of mud and other flammable keerap... Thankful for a 3000 psi pressure washer.

Suggest checking the tightness of your skid bolts as mine (some) worked out a little over time.

In my sig link have some pix for ideas on stix stopper CV guard that I made with 3mm thick UHMW.

j
So how do you install these if you don't have this "gun"?

Reactions: JCart
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Oh ok, so he did. Thank you Twitch. Is this something that can be obtained from a regular hardware store, or is it a specialty item. Also, what size would be appropriate for the skids? Thanks?
If it where me I'd take one of the metric skid bolts into a specialty store and get a Polynutsert whereby the internal threads match and get the steel ones, they come in aluminum too but steel is more robust. My skid material was 9.5mm thick so I counter sunk the stock washers so they fit flush in the skid and was able to use the stock bolts. My concern was mashing tearing out the bolts by hooking the washes on a rock so far have drug the belly on a host of stuff and no major misadventures.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If it where me I'd take one of the metric skid bolts into a specialty store and get a Polynutsert whereby the internal threads match and get the steel ones, they come in aluminum too but steel is more robust. My skid material was 9.5mm thick so I counter sunk the stock washers so they fit flush in the skid and was able to use the stock bolts. My concern was mashing tearing out the bolts by hooking the washes on a rock so far have drug the belly on a host of stuff and no major misadventures.
Thanks jrc. This sounds a little intimidating. I still don't understand how the nutsert is installed into the frame if you don't have that gun. Otherwise I'll take the stock bolts with me to get a thread matching ns. Do these come with instructions for what size hole to drill? Seems like a difficult operation to be doing somewhat upside down!!!

T

Twitch

May 6, 2016
In the backyard
I'm really not sure if a regular hardware store would have them. We have a "nuts and bolts" place locally that stocks them. I followed suit and did m6's(factory size)just so I wouldn't have to have different size sockets when taking the skid off. Which I replaced all the factory bolts with longer stainless steel m6's. Those short ones are pain now that my skid is all one piece. The shorty's won't the easiest with the factory configured skids...

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
So how do you install these if you don't have this "gun"?

The kit I have comes with an Allan cap crew the size of the internal threads, a spacer nut (which is none threaded) and the Polynutserts. So drill a hole exact outside dia of the sert. Push sert into hole thread in Allan head, first through spacer nut then into sert. The order is sert, material, spacer nut, Allan cap screw. I used a 3/8" drive socket/Allen head driver and 1/2" open ended wrench to hold the spacer nut. Tighten up the Allen cap screw and it will pull the spacer against the top of the sert crushing internal rivet part of the sert against your material, 1/2" wrench prevents the spacer and sert from spinning. The top or external of the sert has a small flange, (this is what the spacer nut rests on), when the internal rivet part crushes, it pinches material between internal rivet collar against external flange. I've got pix I'll put up as its way less complicated than it sounds...

I also tried my 1/4" 18 volt impact gun rather then the 3/8 ratchet, what I found is the impact is too strong and will strip out the sert if not careful.

j

T

Twitch

May 6, 2016
In the backyard

j
Thanks. Yeah, the bolts working loose is the reason my skid is all one piece now. Got high centered and bent part of the factory skid down. I'm glad I added all the holes to keep the mud from building up as bad. Which I cut mine on a water jet so won't like I was drilling them all by hand. I hope to get back to stick guard project soon. I made a couple stainless steel versions of them but haven't gotten around to checking for clearance issues. Have had a couple other "hobbies" that have taken priority to them. I started reloading ammo a while back and trying to work up a new load for my latest 6.5 grendel AR build. I'm really liking this gun but that's a whole other forum and subject...

Reactions: Montecresto
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!