Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Is that what they told you Bob or is that what you are assuming? They told me 6 to 7 days which I think is ridiculous but that's the what they told me all the same.

Had to get it in and then once they ripped apart, have to order parts which will take a a few days and then back together again!
I think Honda is hanging there dealer ships out to dry! Honda is being very stingy and not trusting there dealerships.

H

HondaTech

Is that what they told you Bob or is that what you are assuming? They told me 6 to 7 days which I think is ridiculous but that's the what they told me all the same.

Had to get it in and then once they ripped apart, have to order parts which will take a a few days and then back together again!

For the most part a week is not unheard of if parts have to be ordered. A clutch is an expensive part to keep in the shop just to have. If they order like we do (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) then parts take 2 to 3 days to get there. If they had to order the update parts then that's understandable, it takes about a week from calling Honda to receiving parts usually.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
For the most part a week is not unheard of if parts have to be ordered. A clutch is an expensive part to keep in the shop just to have. If they order like we do (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) then parts take 2 to 3 days to get there. If they had to order the update parts then that's understandable, it takes about a week from calling Honda to receiving parts usually.
I can understand the situation the dealerships are in, but lets use a conservative number, say 35% of 16 through 17 will have clutch failures, Honda should do the math per units sold. And keep there dealerships stocked. When we have a product failure the mgf. makes sure we have more than enough parts on hand. Can you imagine, if I told you it would be one to two weeks without hot water. Katie bar the door. You would demand a new water heater, NOW! Yea you could warm water on the stove and take a sponge bath, but today who would do that? I would but???

Reactions: Plumber32
O

OhioPro205

Nov 2, 2017
Amanda, Ohio
Just got my clutch cover update and cab heat update done today. Did not ride any except down the road and back but seems to shift a little smoother from the start. We will see over time I guess. I only have 217 miles on machine though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

C

caddyman

My dealer contacted me about the heat kit awhile back and I asked him about the clutch cover update. He was aware of it and finally took it in and had both done. Did not have any issues with clutch slipping etc. It was bitterly cold so didn't get much time to test. I did a quick test drive before I left and didn't notice any big difference. Decided to double check where the cover is located to make sure there were no oil leaks etc. The weird thing is that it doesn't look like they even changed the cover. Fortunately no issues with leaks but confirmed it does have that little bump machined on the top of cover as noted earlier. So I guess I am good for now and time will tell how it performs.

Reactions: Plumber32
R

Rick_Rusch

Jan 15, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I contacted my dealer today. The service guy said they are only doing the update if my machine has a slippage issue. Is this correct? Seems to me they are just trying to get out of it.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can understand the situation the dealerships are in, but lets use a conservative number, say 35% of 16 through 17 will have clutch failures, Honda should do the math per units sold. And keep there dealerships stocked. When we have a product failure the mgf. makes sure we have more than enough parts on hand. Can you imagine, if I told you it would be one to two weeks without hot water. Katie bar the door. You would demand a new water heater, NOW! Yea you could warm water on the stove and take a sponge bath, but today who would do that? I would but???
Its illegal to not have hot water, a working kitchen sink and full bath here, they can condem the place

Reactions: Smitty335
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I contacted my dealer today. The service guy said they are only doing the update if my machine has a slippage issue. Is this correct? Seems to me they are just trying to get out of it.
No they are telling you wrong. EVERY 2016 & 2017 P1K is eligible for the product update campaign. Now if the clutch is slipping, they replace the clutch pack too after contacting Honda and getting approval.

Print out the PDF at the bottom of this post show to dealer, feed him a little crow.

P1000 - VERIFIED - Official Pioneer 1000 Clutch Update!

R

Rick_Rusch

Jan 15, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No they are telling you wrong. EVERY 2016 & 2017 P1K is eligible for the product update campaign. Now if the clutch is slipping, they replace the clutch pack too after contacting Honda and getting approval.

Print out the PDF at the bottom of this post show to dealer, feed him a little crow.

P1000 - VERIFIED - Official Pioneer 1000 Clutch Update!
That's what I figured. I guess I will call them back tomorrow and see what they say. Maybe I need to look for a new dealer seems tough to find an honest one these days. Thanks for the information.

Reactions: Smitty335
CanineCombatives

CanineCombatives

Jun 10, 2017
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Advise to anyone getting jerked around by their dealer saying they arent eligible for the clutch improvement, call honda directly and tell them, you'll likely get a call back from your dealer the next day.
All tolled honda paid the dealer about $600 in parts and labor for the clutch improvement and cabin comfort kit, I'm glad to be done with the whole deal.

Reactions: Rambo
R

Rick_Rusch

Jan 15, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I contacted my dealer again and to him the needed to be done even though I did have clutch issues. He said he was unaware of that and would call Honda and call me back. I didn't get a call back so I called the next day. He said Honda was really busy and hadn't gotten back to him but he decided to order the parts and do it regardless. I assume he's just trying to save face and make me think he is doing me a huge favor. Either way I'm just happy it will get done. Thanks for the info fellas!

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I contacted my dealer again and to him the needed to be done even though I did have clutch issues. He said he was unaware of that and would call Honda and call me back. I didn't get a call back so I called the next day. He said Honda was really busy and hadn't gotten back to him but he decided to order the parts and do it regardless. I assume he's just trying to save face and make me think he is doing me a huge favor. Either way I'm just happy it will get done. Thanks for the info fellas!

Did you get your update done?

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Since this is the "official" clutch update page I'll post my review here.

First, there is definitely a difference in who you call. Not all dealerships seem to have their s*** together. Some were very helpful and some not so much. I had a dealer tell me it would be a long time because parts were on back order and another told me he could get them pretty quickly. I did get a consensus that they would order the update kit and If I needed new clutches they would order them right away after looking at mine. I called the most helpful guy back and gave him my VIN. He ordered in the clutch update and the cabin kit.

Someone messed up the order and only got in the cabin kit. I was busy so a few weeks went buy but i got back in touch and he had a clutch kit for me. I talked to the guy on wednesday, he said bring it in anytime before Saturday and we will get it done Saturday morning. The weather was crap so I took it in Thursday afternoon and it was done Saturday at Noon.

RESULTS:
The best I can explain is that it rides MUCH SMOOTHER. It shifts smoother and runs smoother. I think you can hear it in the clutch that is operating more smoothly but maybe I'm just fooling myself.

The biggest change is in low range and reverse. It use to shudder a bit if you were taking off very slowly. Like trying to reverse up hill real slow or just moving very slow in low range. Now it operates much smoother and engages much more easily.

I was telling myself I would wait until the clutch went out before taking it in. I'm glad I changed my mind. There is an improvement in ride quality and I now think its silly to wait. It is free after all. If I had waited, it may have been years, I would've been disappointed in myself for waiting.

Just go get it done. You'll be glad you did.

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Since this is the "official" clutch update page I'll post my review here.

First, there is definitely a difference in who you call. Not all dealerships seem to have their s*** together. Some were very helpful and some not so much. I had a dealer tell me it would be a long time because parts were on back order and another told me he could get them pretty quickly. I did get a consensus that they would order the update kit and If I needed new clutches they would order them right away after looking at mine. I called the most helpful guy back and gave him my VIN. He ordered in the clutch update and the cabin kit.

Someone messed up the order and only got in the cabin kit. I was busy so a few weeks went buy but i got back in touch and he had a clutch kit for me. I talked to the guy on wednesday, he said bring it in anytime before Saturday and we will get it done Saturday morning. The weather was crap so I took it in Thursday afternoon and it was done Saturday at Noon.

RESULTS:
The best I can explain is that it rides MUCH SMOOTHER. It shifts smoother and runs smoother. I think you can hear it in the clutch that is operating more smoothly but maybe I'm just fooling myself.

The biggest change is in low range and reverse. It use to shudder a bit if you were taking off very slowly. Like trying to reverse up hill real slow or just moving very slow in low range. Now it operates much smoother and engages much more easily.

I was telling myself I would wait until the clutch went out before taking it in. I'm glad I changed my mind. There is an improvement in ride quality and I now think its silly to wait. It is free after all. If I had waited, it may have been years, I would've been disappointed in myself for waiting.

Just go get it done. You'll be glad you did.
I second that, anyone waiting on the clutch update its worth having it done now!!!

D

Deanb

Mar 26, 2016
Stonyplain
I think that’s a great idea
Did you get your update done?
I think that’s a great idea better chance of not burning them up I hope this is the fix because I sure like the machine

M

misterkit

Jun 30, 2016
ny
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The symptoms you will experience if the (starter clutch, 1st, 3rd, 5th, & R gears) is slipping in AT mode or even manual for that matter.

On take off may or may not spike in RPM upon initial take off, then shift into 2nd normally, them spike in RPM shifting into 3rd, shift into 4th normally, spike in RPM shifting into 5th, then shift into 6th normally.

If you didn't really damage anything the symptoms may not be repeatable when the machine is cool or normal operating temps.

The above will primarily happen once the machine is hot, as in several hours of slow trail riding where the clutch engages and disengages crawling along at 3mph or less, compounded by inclines.

If you really get it hot and the clutch plates get glazed the machine will make a shuddering feel, and noise on take off. Once all material is gone off that bad clutch it really gets pronounced.

This video shows it doing so somewhat, I had one I shot showing severe shuddering but cannot locate it on YouTube.

I hit 1000 miles and the problem got worse, even after having the clutch update put on. The SXS would have excessive rpm when shifting from 2-3 and 4-5.
I just got the pioneer back from the dealer. Replaced both clutches. Lets hope this doesnt happen again anytime soon.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hit 1000 miles and the problem got worse, even after having the clutch update put on. The SXS would have excessive rpm when shifting from 2-3 and 4-5.
I just got the pioneer back from the dealer. Replaced both clutches. Lets hope this doesnt happen again anytime soon.

Did the dealer replace the clutches when they did the update?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Mine had a bad shutter , jerking taking off from a dead start.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!