P1000m5 Walker Evans Review - Honda Pioneer 1000 test run!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm holding out as long as I can. Several years ago I paid almost a grand for a Fox twin clicker shock for my drag bike, so I guess this isn't too bad.

Reactions: pct and joeymt33
WalkerEvansRacing

WalkerEvansRacing

Vendor
I try not to push my suspension too hard but when you add up the weight of a roof, windshield, stereo system, dual batteries, brush guard, light bars, winch, two passengers in the front, UHMW skid plate (60lbs) etc. just small bumps are pushing the limits of the OEM shocks.

These WE shocks look to be amazing and a big thanks to @Hondasxs for giving us such an in-depth review. I'm very jealous that you have those and I don't!

I'm still holding out to see who else makes some aftermarket shocks, and hoping that Honda comes out with some soon.

So you are hoping Honda makes an aftermarket shock?

Reactions: pct
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So you are hoping Honda makes an aftermarket shock?

I think they will soon. But I'll be interested in OEM and aftermarket. I just want to see some more entries in the market and drive some competition in price and features.

I've bought a lot of things in the past just to sell it and buy the next best thing. That's too expensive and I don't need shocks. I just want them badly.

Example, I bought a P700 and put several thousand into accessories and then sold it in less than a year to buy the P1000. I'm going to show patience (hopefully) for the shock upgrade and see what happens over the next few months.

WalkerEvansRacing

WalkerEvansRacing

Vendor
Example, I bought a P700 and put several thousand into accessories and then sold it in less than a year to buy the P1000. I'm going to show patience (hopefully) for the shock upgrade and see what happens over the next few months.

Well, I wish you luck with the patience. I have the same purchase pattern with my toys so I understand completely.

Honda has not typically offered a performance upgrade shock package in the past that is why I was wondering about your comment. If you ever are in the market for shocks do your research and know that across all line options for Walker Evans shocks we are almost always the price leader. We are 100% made and assembled in Riverside California, so no cheap off shore stuff from us.

Happy trials!

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Excellent review. Thank you!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well, I wish you luck with the patience. I have the same purchase pattern with my toys so I understand completely.

Honda has not typically offered a performance upgrade shock package in the past that is why I was wondering about your comment. If you ever are in the market for shocks do your research and know that across all line options for Walker Evans shocks we are almost always the price leader. We are 100% made and assembled in Riverside California, so no cheap off shore stuff from us.

Happy trials!

Thank you for the comments. We will see what the future holds. I will definitely get a set soon. Hopefully before the year is out.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I've bottomed twice on purpose to test the limits and twice by accident. You can't always judge the extent of a bump before you hit it.

I'm jealous - and never intended to upgrade shocks but now I'm interested.

How well would it work to keep the self leveling rear shocks and just upgrade the front?

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've bottomed twice on purpose to test the limits and twice by accident. You can't always judge the extent of a bump before you hit it.

I'm jealous - and never intended to upgrade shocks but now I'm interested.

How well would it work to keep the self leveling rear shocks and just upgrade the front?
Interested as well...

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I think they will soon. But I'll be interested in OEM and aftermarket. I just want to see some more entries in the market and drive some competition in price and features.

I've bought a lot of things in the past just to sell it and buy the next best thing. That's too expensive and I don't need shocks. I just want them badly.

Aw come on, fine time to show restraint Joey! Haha! Like I always tell my wife, if I'm going to buy it eventually I may as well buy it now and enjoy it longer! Hey, sometimes that logic works

Reactions: pct and sharp
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I didn't waste anytime buying all the other stuff I put on the p1000. I guess this one being the most expensive and it's not an addition, it's a replacement. I had a lot of choices with tires, wheels, lifts, lights, ect. I'm hoping for choices with the shocks. I may have to wait a few more months but I think I can hold out a little longer.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Btw, I have nothing against WE shocks and may buy a set. They look fantastic. Also, I'm not sure if I want to loose the rear auto level system. I may be in the market for fronts only.

I really don't think I could go wrong with this set and its adjustability. I really need to weight the four corners of my machine somehow or get a weight of the accessories.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Btw, I have nothing against WE shocks and may buy a set. They look fantastic. Also, I'm not sure if I want to loose the rear auto level system. I may be in the market for fronts only.

I really don't think I could go wrong with this set and its adjustability. I really need to weight the four corners of my machine somehow or get a weight of the accessories.
I would go front only as well.
Am interested though if these shocks have a longer eye to eye measurement than stock. I am particularly interested due to my lift kit already adding droop to the CV's and adding more to it with the WE shocks would put my CV's in a bind.

Reactions: pct and joeymt33
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would go front only as well.
Am interested though if these shocks have a longer eye to eye measurement than stock. I am particularly interested due to my lift kit already adding droop to the CV's and adding more to it with the WE shocks would put my CV's in a bind.
I think the WE website says that these are for stock machines only. If you have something different they ask that you contact them.

I too believe I would only replace the fronts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

WalkerEvansRacing

WalkerEvansRacing

Vendor
I think the WE website says that these are for stock machines only. If you have something different they ask that you contact them.

I too believe I would only replace the fronts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

To answer the above two questions, when we build a new stock replacement shock we look for any little gain we can get and that sometimes includes extending the length of the shock, extending the travel of the machine but not at the sacrifice of putting parts in a bind or allowing the frame to slam the ground. The OE works hard to find the limits so there isn't large gains to be made in travel and ground clearance without making other sacrifices but we do look for areas we can improve. Ride comfort and bottom resistance is always what we try to improve which is relatively easy for us since our technology is much greater than what the OE installs as production.

We set our base setting around a stock vehicle and know that will work for most but not all customers. That is why we ask questions about accessories added, type of riding and the normal number of passengers carried.

The one thing you all need to remember is the leveling feature, while it is a very cool feature it has absolutely zero effect on performance and bottoming resistance. In basic terms it is just a fluid transfer system built into multiple cavities to keep your Pioneer level.

I have said this before to another member, we will sell just the fronts if you like so we will be waiting to assist you all whether it is for two or four shocks.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To answer the above two questions, when we build a new stock replacement shock we look for any little gain we can get and that sometimes includes extending the length of the shock, extending the travel of the machine but not at the sacrifice of putting parts in a bind or allowing the frame to slam the ground. The OE works hard to find the limits so there isn't large gains to be made in travel and ground clearance without making other sacrifices but we do look for areas we can improve. Ride comfort and bottom resistance is always what we try to improve which is relatively easy for us since our technology is much greater than what the OE installs as production.

We set our base setting around a stock vehicle and know that will work for most but not all customers. That is why we ask questions about accessories added, type of riding and the normal number of passengers carried.

The one thing you all need to remember is the leveling feature, while it is a very cool feature it has absolutely zero effect on performance and bottoming resistance. In basic terms it is just a fluid transfer system built into multiple cavities to keep your Pioneer level.

I have said this before to another member, we will sell just the fronts if you like so we will be waiting to assist you all whether it is for two or four shocks.
Gotya.
So you could produce coil-overs with the same eye to eye length at full extension as the OEM setup. I will probably order some this fall once I have all my accessories installed so that I know the weight I'll be running i.e. bumper, winch etc.
Thanks for the info.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My guess is once you buy just the fronts, you will be wanting the rears just as much!
Perhaps you may be right...
I actually have zero complaints with my front and rear shocks now. I assume once I add the weighted accessories the front will be a little on the soft side. I am pleased with the factory ride quality though.

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
I still have a set of like new Fox shocks from my 700 if someone would be interested in experimenting with them on their 1000. I know for sure the fronts fit, you just need larger mounting bolts - which are the same bolts as the rears.
The rears would need to have the eyelet bushings replaced with a narrower set.
$800.00 for the set.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!