P1000 Warn Winch 4500 synthetic -FAILURE!!!!!!

Tropicalfruitfarm

Tropicalfruitfarm

Nov 2, 2016
Merritt Island
www.islandtropicalfruit.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Planned on having a nice day out at the ranch. Got the wife out there and was enjoying the ride when I tried to go through a pond/stream. To make a long story short, I didn't make it.

Have no fear, I have a Warn 4500 AND it is wired for front and back operations. As the frond was submerged, I connected to the back. A few 2nd degree burns later, I got the power cables connected.

Moved the winch selector to free spool, and pulled out some rope. Tried to move the selector back to engage....and it would not engage. Called a few people and got a few tips, still nothing. This winch has never been used other than testing it in the garage.

I took it straight back to the Honda dealer and told them I wanted it replaced. Let's see how Warn responds.

I'm very disappointed with this lack of a winch. I had to call in a real truck to get me out.

WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning

My check koozie light, keeps coming on
Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2017
Magnolia Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Planned on having a nice day out at the ranch. Got the wife out there and was enjoying the ride when I tried to go through a pond/stream. To make a long story short, I didn't make it.

Have no fear, I have a Warn 4500 AND it is wired for front and back operations. As the frond was submerged, I connected to the back. A few 2nd degree burns later, I got the power cables connected.

Moved the winch selector to free spool, and pulled out some rope. Tried to move the selector back to engage....and it would not engage. Called a few people and got a few tips, still nothing. This winch has never been used other than testing it in the garage.

I took it straight back to the Honda dealer and told them I wanted it replaced. Let's see how Warn responds.

I'm very disappointed with this lack of a winch. I had to call in a real truck to get me out.
My warn 4500 motor quit the first time I used it. If they don't stand behind it I'm going back with a bad lands .

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had same thing happen to me. I had to take the free spool/ lock red cap off. One the pieces behind the cover was out of place.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
103DD3A7 5850 4E84 8885 341F52B19F20

I’ve had some issues with mine, but only after significant abuse. The upper part of this diagram shows cap internals for the Warn ProVantage 4500. You said you saw a bolt so not sure this is yours. This model uses a snap ring and small torx screws.

Part number 34 is responsible for pulling parts 30 to support free spoil and to re-engage.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Same here on my p700. I've been dealing with it since 15'. I just turn the knob back and forth while pulling on the rope. I really wish I had sent it back but I was so disgusted that I just walked away from it and forgot about it. Bad Farmer!

Interested to see how this turns out.

Reactions: RumpRocket
R

RumpRocket

Dec 23, 2017
USA
Ownership

1. 500

That really sucks.

Tropicalfruitfarm

Tropicalfruitfarm

Nov 2, 2016
Merritt Island
www.islandtropicalfruit.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just got this document from Warn. Apparently it is a "common" problem. WTF?

"It sounds like the clutch handle was over rotated and the clutch alignment bar needs to be reset. This is an easy fix.
I attached the instructions."

Attachments

• RT_XT_Clutch Bar Alignment.pdf
    983.7 KB · Views: 157
  • RT_XT_Clutch Bar Alignment.pdf
    983.7 KB · Views: 113
D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had the Warn/Honda 4500 winch installed at the dealership as soon as I bought the P1K. First time I went to use the winch it would kill the motor like it drew all the power out of the battery... It would start right back up but even attempting to respool the winch with no load at all on it would stall the engine. I brought it back to the dealership and they blamed it on some loose connection. This’ll definitely be my last Honda.

advertisement
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Now I'm glad I didn't buy a warn winch and bought the KFI.

Reactions: trigger
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just can't stand this "known issue" b.s.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Warn used to be the gold standard.

I guess like everything else in the world, it aint what it used to be.

Reactions: Farmer
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

"It sounds like the clutch handle was over rotated and the clutch alignment bar needs to be reset. This is an easy fix.
Yup that’s what mine did. Now I just be gentile when I turn it and Don’t let you buddy operate it lol.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had the Warn/Honda 4500 winch installed at the dealership as soon as I bought the P1K. First time I went to use the winch it would kill the motor like it drew all the power out of the battery... It would start right back up but even attempting to respool the winch with no load at all on it would stall the engine. I brought it back to the dealership and they blamed it on some loose connection. This’ll definitely be my last Honda.

Whenever something goes wrong in life always be sure to go immediately to the internet and bash some manufactures.... Because learning to make sure you don't over rotate a winch handle is pure insanity and the fact that someone at the dealer wired something wrong is impossible to forgive so all Hondas are now s***.

It's like everyday is gold medal competition at the Olympics and if a manufacturer misses a perfect score by .00001....well then they suck and I'll NEVER buy that brand again.

Your comments are laughable. No person nor company is perfect. Grow up and act like adults cause if this is the worst thing you ever experience, your life is pretty damn good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ive used warn winches for 20 years. Back when they didn't have fancy seals I would take them apart to clean all the mud out of the gears and re-grease them. I had 2 old 2500lb warn winches I used so much I had to put new brushes and bushings in.

Let's not be so misleading that warn is all bad now.....

There's been less than 5 times in 20 years that a warn winch has let me down.

In an effort to make life easier for the user they made a giant free spool handle. Turns out there's a bit of design flaw and you need to use a little care with it. Big deal.

There are other good winches out there but also ones that are a LOT worse. Despite some hiccups along the way I still believe warn to be a quality brand.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!