ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Arguably, the worst part of owning a side by side is the dirty and time consuming job of cleaning the mud off after riding. We have spent thousands of dollars on these machines and want to keep them nice.

Please post up your tools and tricks that you use to get it cleaned up after having fun with it!

Hoping to learn some magic trick to make it quick and simple!

Unless I have a bunch of time to do a really nice wash job, I use my electric pressure washer after spraying Super Clean on the machine. I cut the Super Clean 50 / 50 with water and spray all the suspension, frame, engine, under the bed, or anywhere else that I get a lot of dust and mud. I avoid spraying the windshield. Let the stuff soak for a minute and then start rinsing with the pressure washer from the top down. I did this last night and spent about a half hour and it's pretty clean for the amount of time spent.

If I do a real wash job, I spray everything down with SC1 after it dries off. I love SC1

K

KeithinLouisiana

Oct 6, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I’m new to the Side by side world so I’m hoping for some good ideas for dealing with gumbo mud.

Reactions: rtn001 and sharp
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Pressure cleaner and soapy solution in a mop bucket with one of the soft type scrub brushes from the auto parts store for cleaning. After it dries Ive always used Tire Foam in the spray can for the shine. Just spray it on and it foams up and leaves a nice shine when it evaporates. Just dont get it on the windshield because dust or pollen will stick while its wet. Windex for the windshield. Even after all this is done its still not a show machine, but looks halfway decent.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
776C536A 8581 4D0D 97E2 A52F998C1733
[HASHTAG]#sxswhorebath[/HASHTAG]

@Mudwing can elaborate more....:D
Super easy. After a long day of mudding find a crick and drive through. Now drive it to dry. Easy sleezy. ;)

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
In all seriousness, @Russ989 could put on a clinic showing you how to make your rig shine brighter than showroom new. He is the man you want to talk to.

And if you do talk to him, tell him not to buy that Popo General :D

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Pressure cleaner and soapy solution in a mop bucket with one of the soft type scrub brushes from the auto parts store for cleaning. After it dries Ive always used Tire Foam in the spray can for the shine. Just spray it on and it foams up and leaves a nice shine when it evaporates. Just dont get it on the windshield because dust or pollen will stick while its wet. Windex for the windshield. Even after all this is done its still not a show machine, but looks halfway decent.
If the windshield is made of Lexan, I wouldn't spray it with Windex because it will cause it to cloud!

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
View attachment 163807
Super easy. After a long day of mudding find a crick and drive through. Now drive it to dry. Easy sleezy. ;)

I used to do that all the time last couple years. This summer was so wet though that all the cricks were either mud or too deep.

I crick I used to go to was great. It's a fairly wide one - bought 150 - 200 feet wide but there is a spot that gets islands every summer when it gets dry. When the water would get low enough, we could ride out to the islands and ride between them. Cleaned the mud off pretty good. Sucks it was such a rainy summer here - never got to do that this year.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
One of the things that I do is drive my P5 up on the loading ramp of my flat bed trailer. This allows me to get a better shot underneath with the pressure washer.

I hadn't thought to mention it, but I do a similar thing. Most of my property is hillside and I agree that it seems to help get stuff out of the chassis having it pointed uphill when spraying.

advertisement
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use Spray Power 50/50 with water out of a cheap Amazon foam cannon.

View attachment 163906

Crown Spray Power Cleaner Gallon 72044

Let sit for 5 minutes or so before rinsing. I tend to rinse with a hose (no power). When doing the final rinse I find that the power washer throws soap so it's almost impossible to get a clean rinse.

Ohhh and FYI like 6 bucks a gallon. Potentially not the BEST product out there, but great bang for your buck IMO

Reactions: rtn001 and JTW
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Just got a soap foam cannon for the pressure washer, amazing how much soap it creates, and an adjustable spray pattern. The extra trigger handle included is good for upside down tip spraying and is easy to swap from cannon to tip while running. Price was right with everything that was included.
Multi - Foam Cannon recommendations

Brett002

Brett002

Feb 28, 2017
Bangladesh
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
G9524 HRWheelTireClnr 10x10
I am also a clean freak! I use this stuff. Can be found at local walmart. Half a bottle takes care of my pioneer 3. If it's real nasty I use a whole bottle. Simply watch the mud and grime slide down the machine. Pressure wash pretty quick after spraying. Also leaves a slight film so that cleaning next time is super easy.

6 SR6002C315 ZA12520Reviews2C4452C2912C4002C4002Carial2C122C42C02C02C5 SCLZZZZZZZ
For that added snaz... or especially if I'm going to ride in nasty conditions... I lather the buggy down with this. I get under the back bed and front fenders where the mud tends to fly and accumulate. Between both products I watch mud simply fall off my machine leaving a new machine look underneath.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I usually just hose mine off with a firehose style nozzle then let it soak for a bit. Then I come back with a small pressure washer similar to what @JTW listed earlier and blast everything off. I like to go over the machine after a ride so I'll take my time and pull the wheels/tires and skid to get all the crud out then I go over everything with SC1. Also, if you've got the rear door storage mod on the P1k, it's good to open them up and let some air get in there after you've sprayed it down.

I've always been leery to using the tire shine; it doesn't make everything sticky? I know when I put it on my tires it's definitely got some tack to it unless I wipe it down.

Reactions: rtn001 and Mudder
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!