P1000 Water Intake Issue

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, I like the advantages a regular snorkel would give me, but the deal breaker is the intake noise. I cant stand that and I want it as quiet as possible. If this is indeed a widespread problem, I believe Honda will address it in the new model and/or update etc. Then it should still maintain factory sound levels. I grew out of the big water crossings and mud probably 10-15 years ago and will now go around most mud puddles if given the option, but I would like a better setup just for piece of mind, even though to this point its been a non-issue for me. But I may consider some of the concealed options people have done here, but I'll wait until my warranty is up in April.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone running the Frogskinz as discussed previously? @joeymt33 @CumminsPusher

Reactions: GRANITE
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@DRAGFOOT mine faces towards me so it'll be louder yet but the only time it's louder is high revs at the shift point. You wouldn't gain too much noise in an underhood setup I can't imagine.
@sugarray im personally not and not too worried if snorkel is backwards. Was planning originally and It's not a bad idea but I feel you'd be cleaning it a lot and would have to put it over a large opening for it to function correctly.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone running the Frogskinz as discussed previously? @joeymt33 @CumminsPusher

I have the intake facing backwards, toward the windshield, and covered it with Frogzskin. It doesn't really get that dirty.

20160716 220124

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I have the intake facing backwards, toward the windshield, and covered it with Frogzskin. It doesn't really get that dirty.

View attachment 22385
Thanks AK I guess I kind of answered that one wrong. If it's on the back of the snorkel like that it would have more surface and be pretty easy to clean. Sugarray knows what we are running so I apologize on that. I sure wouldn't run just the frogskin over the factory intake. We normally don't play in super heavy water so I feel it should be fine without

Sent from iPhone

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks AK I guess I kind of answered that one wrong. If it's on the back of the snorkel like that it would have more surface and be pretty easy to clean. Sugarray knows what we are running so I apologize on that. I sure wouldn't run just the frogskin over the factory intake. We normally don't play in super heavy water so I feel it should be fine without I was originally planning on it in addition because I was so scared.

Sent from iPhone

I completely agree. Running just the Frogzskin over the factory intake is just asking for trouble. Besides, it might just get sucked in. I had put a plastic garbage can liner over my pipe, with a heavy duty rubber band, to keep the water out while giving the machine a bath. Well, I wasn't thinking and started the machine. I came really close to having that bag back at the filter... lol. I caught it in time though. The machine started choking out almost immediately. I definitely have a good seal!

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Guys??? Please don't apologize for hijacking the thread.

This was meant to gain as much information and to help others as well as myself get a full understanding about this issue.

ALL posts are welcome regardless of their nature :)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Guys??? Please don't apologize for hijacking the thread.

This was meant to gain as much information and to help others as well as myself get a full understanding about this issue.

ALL posts are welcome regardless of their nature :)

Plummer are you going to adjust air box at any point?

Sent from iPhone

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Quote from his post.

Block off the front air intake. Still hole install 2inch PVC air comes in from under the dash under the hood. Radiator fan can not throw water into intake works like a charm. I installed a 2inch coupling to make it just a little higher. See pics

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just so there's no confusion CP, those pics are not from my rig they are from the guy who showed how to do it.

I have not done it yet and it's going to be done very shortly, as I am a plumber and happen to have the materials handy :)

I think ultimately in looking at this, it's more about closing down the front intake and adding a new one, more so than the way he did it.

I don't even know that the length of pipe is that important other than just getting it to an area that's open for air to flow.

Like everyone else by the time I get out there and actually do it I may or may not change it a little bit. But I plan on cutting in the absolute perfect hole for the pipe to fit so no need to silicone if it's tight and flush.

B

BULLDOG6

Jun 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Big Red
I completely agree. Running just the Frogzskin over the factory intake is just asking for trouble. Besides, it might just get sucked in. I had put a plastic garbage can liner over my pipe, with a heavy duty rubber band, to keep the water out while giving the machine a bath. Well, I wasn't thinking and started the machine. I came really close to having that bag back at the filter... lol. I caught it in time though. The machine started choking out almost immediately. I definitely have a good seal!
You ain't the only one. Wife laughed hard when she seen me running and realized what I had done

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thought this was very relevant so adding it. Not sure how I missed it but was EYE OPENING to me. Was another comment he made about the fix.

"People think water is splashing in from tires in water but it's not. It's when the radiator fan comes on and your in water it slings water into the intake."

Me now: Could very well explain the "why some and not others" issue.

And brings to mind, a splash guard of some sorts on radiator???

Last edited:
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If that's the case, why not just a piece of sheet metal somewhere by intake preventing water from getting there to begin with?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It could be a little of both. Any water towards the intake will be sucked in. If you've ever held your hand over the intake there is a whole lot of suction right there just at idle. So obviously if heavy on the throttle you're more likely as well.

Sent from iPhone

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There also talk on same thread about a screw in sensor kicking fan on? Maybe some one can enlighten me, as there's no further talk about it. But it's as if this would help too? Either that or someone hijacked thread for separate issue for sales :)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@plummer101010 I swear that picture came from a member on this site(can't remember who just did that though)maybe borrowed from this site? Anyway @LaVell is correct.

Sent from iPhone

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!