Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
D

Did you have a surgery that removed your sense of humor? People were actually joking about this in the afternoon or so it appeared. Hey if the guy wants to do it why can't he? Its a discussion not a contest. You seem to want to make it a contest.
Um.....1...2...3

J

JTW

I was looking at the specs of the Sedona Rip Saw, which I knew was extremely heavy. But anyways, a 25-10-12 weighs over 32 lbs. ! And they are way undersize, just barely any taller than the stock Maxxis 24". I couldn't imagine running something like a 27-11-12 Rip Saw on a Pioneer 500. Not just the power needed to get them spinning, but also how much it affects the braking and handling.
Yup.. And here in is the point of the post.

webby

webby

Lifetime Member
Nov 25, 2015
Philipsburg, Pa.
Ownership

1. 500
So we have stock tires weighing 14lbs.. Itp steel wheels are about 14 lbs. for sake of argument we'll say stock are the same.. It looks like aluminum 212 wheels are about 10 lbs.. So we have a stock setup on the rear weighing about 24lbs..

I know there was a noticible difference between my buddies stock wheels and tires vs the aluminum wheels and slingshots. The 25x10x12 sling shot is going to weigh 24-25 lbs, with aluminum wheels at 10lbs.. His set up is running roughly 10lbs heavier than stock at 34-35lbs. So, for every 10lbs you add to your wheel/tire setup.. It will be noticible in perceived power loss. Hopefully this might help some folks in the future in choosing a tire wheel combo.

Bighorn originals in a 26x9x12 will weigh about 25.2lbs... Bighorn 2.0's are 4 lbs less in the same tire. It's not exact but in the bighorn tires widening seems to add 4-5lbs and going up an inch about 7lbs.
I know the stock front wheels weigh roughly 11lbs. each. I was going to ship out my (2) stock front wheels to Monte until we found out how much shipping was. I was told the package weighed 22lbs. Hope that helps a little.

J

JTW

I know the stock front wheels weigh roughly 11lbs. each. I was going to ship out my (2) stock front wheels to Monte until we found out how much shipping was. I was told the package weighed 22lbs. Hope that helps a little.

Thanks!! It does help actually! That means there is an even bigger difference in weight as the Honda steel wheels weigh less than the aftermarket steel wheels.

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have 27" itp mud lite XTRs and they are HEAVY. On stock rims. Pulls fine on road and in grass, even went up a good size hill. No mud yet but first gear will pull a 32" tire easily so I'm not worried. Rides like a caddy so I'm happy!!!!!!!

J

JTW

I have 27" itp mud lite XTRs and they are HEAVY. On stock rims. Pulls fine on road and in grass, even went up a good size hill. No mud yet but first gear will pull a 32" tire easily so I'm not worried. Rides like a caddy so I'm happy!!!!!!!

Good to know.. First/low and second were ok.. Where we noticed the difference was when trail riding and the shift between 2nd to 3rd.. It just flat out lost some of that torque it had with the stock setup. Third gear and pulling a hill on a trail just didn't have the s*** it needed. But second was wound pretty tight... So you were caught between that awkward rpm/gear limbo.
For me, I'm buying a 2017 which will have the automatic option. It may not seem like too big an issue for most of you guys running the paddles, but I have a feeling it's going to matter when running in automatic. But I'll let you all know!! Lol..

K

Kahkon

May 12, 2020
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
5+2 I assume you are gonna buy ITP wheels? I have ITP SS212 wheels 5+2 offset, but I use 26x11x12 on rear tires.

ITP makes 2+5 offset. To be more even in width front and rear if you plan to buy 9" wide wheels then buy 5+2 front and 2+5 rear wheels
or use stock wheels.

Ok sorry to dig up an old thread... Pioneer 500: What would measurement (width) be with 5-2 on front and 2-5 on back with 12x27x9 on all fours? I am thinking 53" front and 54" back? No spacers...

Reactions: solrus
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok sorry to dig up an old thread... Pioneer 500: What would measurement (width) be with 5-2 on front and 2-5 on back with 12x27x9 on all fours? I am thinking 53" front and 54" back? No spacers...
Very close.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

K

Kahkon

May 12, 2020
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Very close.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Called pure off road and they convinced me not to do this....I hope I made right decision. I went with delta steel wheels, 5-2 front and 4-3 rear. Kept tires 27x9-12 Black waters.

Reactions: 500oneer
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Called pure off road and they convinced me not to do this....I hope I made right decision. I went with delta steel wheels, 5-2 front and 4-3 rear. Kept tires 27x9-12 Black waters.
Several here run the Black Waters! I ran a set and have no complaints.

Reactions: Kahkon
S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
I mounted up my 4-3 and 2-5 ITP Magnums off my Big Bear this winter for a couple weeks. 28x10 and 28x12's. Rear was 58" front was 54"+. Almost weird how stable it was. Rear was sliding off trees I never usta touch. Only flingin snow was fine. Would get old in mud season without flares. 10's in the rear would make it tolerable with flare kit.

K

Kahkon

May 12, 2020
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
I am hauling 300 lbs on the rack regularly. I needed a stiffer tire; That is why I went with blackwaters 27x9's all the way around. Well, I also wanted the front and rear to track close to the same. Driving old logging roads with rut can be tricky. .

I am worried a little bit about the width not being stable enough now. If this doesn't work, I will move the 4-3 to the front and get 2-5 for the rear. According to your figures that would put my front at 53+" and rear at 55". Or pretty handy to those numbers.

Wait, What am I thinking, I could just add spacers...I prob should have added spacers to the rear and got the original rims I wanted... hahah.. oh well sure this will be fine.

K

Kahkon

May 12, 2020
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Ok two tires showed up.. other two lost in shipment I guess.. Maybe they show up tomorrow. Gonna be a HUGE difference, 27x9-12, 5-2 offset... Rear will be same tire 4-3 offset.

Blackwaters

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
The 24's are comical! Mine are back on for 'golf cart' season where Honey goes to the beach all summer. Labor Day weekend I repo it and toss 'em...

Reactions: 500oneer
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!