BOX1

P500 What did you do to/with your Pioneer 500 today?

Mkmcdnl

Mkmcdnl

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 19, 2020
Osburn Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Been trying to burn some old ear corn to clear out the corn crib. Load up some buckets and haul them around to the fire pit. Old washing machine tub let’s it burn low to nothing. It’s dark when I get home from work but the weather has let up a bit it’s nice to hang out at the fire for a bit.

View attachment 236385
So forgive my ignorance ,grew up in Oregon. What is a corn crib for.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
So forgive my ignorance ,grew up in Oregon. What is a corn crib for.

No problem.
It’s an old school way to store corn for a year or so.
At the small end of the wannabe farmer spectrum it is possible to use the methods from 80~90 years ago.
Low cost but high labor input.

I started out buying corn from a local farmer to feed a couple of cows (steers but not splitting hairs to explain what a corn crib is).
Built a wood storage bin and the mice moved right in.

I wanted to grow the corn myself so my dad helped me build a corn crib.
He added 1/4” hardware cloth (wire screen) sandwiched between the frame and the slats to make it rodent proof.
Dad grew up in Appalachian Pennsylvania farming with horses in the 1950’s (using horses due to poverty not religion).

I ran out side and took a couple of pictures:

Out side the walls are slats and the top overhangs to shed water (it’s raining now).
E29B5CB7 BA97 41FA 8DFC 5361E9AF0A0E

Shed on the left is the Pig Palace and the shed on the right is the cow house

Inside the ear corn stays dry, leaving the corn on the cob promotes air circulation.
Corn will keep like this for several years - until the bugs get to it.
Getting a lot of bugs so I am burning the corn, haven’t had animals for a few years, with my kids moved out the freezer doesn’t empty out as quick.

A1813B81 602B 4431 A543 7156B21AA3F9

Edit: having a SxS would imply I could afford to take the wife out for a steak once in a while.
My wife has gone several rounds with cancer and she wanted better control of what chemicals we eat.
It gives her peace of mind and I get to collect old farm equipment.

Last edited:
S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Love the schoolin! Seen the crib structures before but didn't know 'why'. Snow pics are great too. Locker is pretty much a necessity for deep snow runnin. Biggest advantage is reversing so you can re-ram farther and stucker! And no post run clean up.....

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Padded the side rails
KIMG0975

Moved my tag and mounted tag lights (haven't wired them yet)
KIMG0971

Mounted fire extinguisher (cause sometimes I Ride with popos)
KIMG0969

Fixed the rear-view mirror to give a better view and so it doesn't shake as much
KIMG0974

Tried for four days to ride some but never made it.

papermaker

papermaker

Jan 18, 2019
Lewiston, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
The p500 is going to have a nice Christmas!

View attachment 238762
An EXELLENT combination. Santa rocks. It will be a totally different machine. Plenty of help here for any installation questions. Which diff oil are you going to use. Saw some comments about hypoid gear oil.

Last edited:
Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
It’s a torq locker and Tusk power steering kit, my wife is excited about the eps and I’m tired of having one front tire in the air spinning (covering us with mud) as I get stuck! I’ve read a few install posts on the esp but I need to read about installing the locker. I also need to do some research on which diff fluid I’m going to use, I haven’t really looked into it yet.

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
It’s a torq locker and Tusk power steering kit, my wife is excited about the eps and I’m tired of having one front tire in the air spinning (covering us with mud) as I get stuck! I’ve read a few install posts on the esp but I need to read about installing the locker. I also need to do some research on which diff fluid I’m going to use, I haven’t really looked into it yet.
I installed the torq locker and the gear oil I used was mobil 1 synthetic 75W-140 and it seems to be good and it made the diffs less noisy which is a plus

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
One heads up about the locker install is the 4wd sensor wire just pulls off, don’t try to unscrew the sensor. You might twist and break the wire.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Front mudbuster fenders helped. Keeps the doors cleaner.

Reactions: Backwoods and J80
Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
One heads up about the locker install is the 4wd sensor wire just pulls off, don’t try to unscrew the sensor. You might twist and break the wire.

Thanks for the heads up because after watching Jason’s video I would have unscrewed it.

Reactions: J80 and Mudder
Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I decided to start looking into the headlights on the p500, I haven’t done much riding at night until lately and these things are horrible! I figured I would start by seeing what kind of pattern they have on a wall......they definitely just through them in at the factory, this is only 5 feet away from the wall, the further you back up the worse it gets. Here’s some before and after.

8B528D2A 6978 424C B343 4D7E3C2C37B6 F72E71A9 7C37 4214 82C7 F199A02D1989

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!