Multi Which hard cooler you like and why?

What brand of roto-molded cooler you have? Why do you like it?

• Total voters
Rangejunkie

Rangejunkie

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2019
Jackson, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I refuse to buy Yeti because of their anti 2A stance.
I have a couple of Rtic coolers that I bought during one of their 50% off sales. I really like the cooler but I probably wouldn’t buy another because I’m not 100% sure that Rtic isn’t owned by Yeti.
From what I understand is the guys that started yeti coolers sold out to a foreign entity a couple years before the patents went out. Then once anyone could use the process and there wouldn't be a patent infringement they started making coolers under rtic and undercutting yetis prices. Kinda brilliant if it's true.

Reactions: sharp and Russ989
Leatherneck

Leatherneck

Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
08770055 E7A0 444D 9835 678A77D743D8

These work really good for 150 bucks.

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Two large Rubbermaids
Two small rubbermaids
Lifetime
Two smal igloos

Honestly the rubbermaids seem to do really well while we go camp the lifetime i bought at Walmart and its not the best says hold ice 5 days WRONG does good to keep it a day thats in the shade i use the small ones for wen i go ride now that we have the 1000-3 we will be using the large rubbermaids for the money they are worth it IMO
Just bought the lifetime Walmart and it’s a day and a half in 85 deg. heat. BS for the price. My soft side will do that!

1rooster

1rooster

Jul 18, 2017
Fitzgerald Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
3AF80318 4BEC 484A 961F D873B3047EFE
I have been using my Coleman extreme for years. It holds ice great! Only problem was I was tired of my water sloshing out so I needed to get something with a seal. I got this 25 qt dewalt cooler for 85.25 shipped. If they would have had the life time 26 out at the time I would have just got one of those.

Tundra20

Tundra20

Supporting Member
Oct 14, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just bought the lifetime Walmart and it’s a day and a half in 85 deg. heat. BS for the price. My soft side will do that!

I tested mine even in my garage were its somewhat cool filled full of ice went out next day and it was half water lol Walmart styrofoam cooler beats that

Reactions: Russ989
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tested mine even in my garage were its somewhat cool filled full of ice went out next day and it was half water lol Walmart styrofoam cooler beats that

You have to pre-cool the fancy coolers they have a lot more thermal mass to them.

Not saying they are best used for beer coolers but they work really well for storing cold food for a long time.

We fill pre-cool an orca and fill it with frozen food and leave it on the deck at the beach for 3-4 days and everything is still frozen.

If you REALLY want it to stay cold for a long while, pre-cool it with reg ice, drain and then put dry ice in the bottom with a layer of regular ice on top and food on top of that. If you don't open it all the time a whole week isn't unheard of on a boat.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You have to pre-cool the fancy coolers they have a lot more thermal mass to them.

Not saying they are best used for beer coolers but they work really well for storing cold food for a long time.

We fill pre-cool an orca and fill it with frozen food and leave it on the deck at the beach for 3-4 days and everything is still frozen.

If you REALLY want it to stay cold for a long while, pre-cool it with reg ice, drain and then put dry ice in the bottom with a layer of regular ice on top and food on top of that. If you don't open it all the time a whole week isn't unheard of on a boat.
You can do this with a cheap cooler and duct tape, done this many times to Canada and back!

Reactions: sharp
Tundra20

Tundra20

Supporting Member
Oct 14, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I dont have to pre cool my rubbermaids they last lots longer than these Fancy coolers

Reactions: Russ989
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We were buying the cheap coolers for a long time. The one that goes riding with us was replaced several times a year. Latches and hinges always broke, they were always getting moved around to different positions and struggled to find good ways to tie them in for a hard ride. After a cheap one had bounced out and exploded all our drinks I had it for the last time. @HoundDog was with us and was already searching coolers. He lives long ways from anything and wanted one for week long usage as he loads up and then takes off when needed. He suggested the Pelican.
Thinking it was too much and being a cheapskate in many ways I had reservations but after seeing pics and the tie downs we bought it. It’s been hit fallen from the bed in the woods several times and always works. We put 40#s of ice then load usually warm drinks and go. Average weekend everyone puts their drinks in it and gets opened probably every 20-30 minutes. Run out and throw more warm drinks in and go. Even on the larger weekends it still keeps everything cold.
We by no means take care of it nor pretemp anything. In the Pioneer it got strapped down but in the Wolverine it doesn’t matter as much and usually just sits there bouncing around. I’m not saying it’s the best because who knows but it works well for us, has had for almost 3 years and we go a lot. I use to think people that spent money on all the expensive brands were f***ing nuts till we bought ours. Absolutely love that cooler!
3A064B30 9369 4350 9ABA A1AAE04B870F

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We were buying the cheap coolers for a long time. The one that goes riding with us was replaced several times a year. Latches and hinges always broke, they were always getting moved around to different positions and struggled to find good ways to tie them in for a hard ride. After a cheap one had bounced out and exploded all our drinks I had it for the last time. @HoundDog was with us and was already searching coolers. He lives long ways from anything and wanted one for week long usage as he loads up and then takes off when needed. He suggested the Pelican.
Thinking it was too much and being a cheapskate in many ways I had reservations but after seeing pics and the tie downs we bought it. It’s been hit fallen from the bed in the woods several times and always works. We put 40#s of ice then load usually warm drinks and go. Average weekend everyone puts their drinks in it and gets opened probably every 20-30 minutes. Run out and throw more warm drinks in and go. Even on the larger weekends it still keeps everything cold.
We by no means take care of it nor pretemp anything. In the Pioneer it got strapped down but in the Wolverine it doesn’t matter as much and usually just sits there bouncing around. I’m not saying it’s the best because who knows but it works well for us, has had for almost 3 years and we go a lot. I use to think people that spent money on all the expensive brands were f***ing nuts till we bought ours. Absolutely love that cooler!
View attachment 135055
I agree CP, they are tough as hell which is half the reason I bought mine.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I dont have to pre cool my rubbermaids they last lots longer than these Fancy coolers
I hate to be that guy but I’m calling bulls#*t on that claim. I put ice in my yeti Thursday morning at the Takeover and threw some water and beers in there and rode all day. We restocked it once a day and added half of a 5lb bag of ice to top it back off on Saturday and I still had ice the Friday after getting back. If you’re really opening that cooler multiple times and hour she’s going to need ice around day three if it’s like my tundra 35. The advantage of a big cooler is it can hold way more ice and I can tell you my tundra 75 will outlast my 35 on ice retention. Oh and I don’t pre chill anything, real use.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I hate to be that guy but I’m calling bulls#*t on that claim. I put ice in my yeti Thursday morning at the Takeover and threw some water and beers in there and rode all day. We restocked it once a day and added half of a 5lb bag of ice to top it back off on Saturday and I still had ice the Friday after getting back. If you’re really opening that cooler multiple times and hour she’s going to need ice around day three if it’s like my tundra 35. The advantage of a big cooler is it can hold way more ice and I can tell you my tundra 75 will outlast my 35 on ice retention. Oh and I don’t pre chill anything, real use.
You are right. When it’s hot, adding everything warm ours is good for a solid 3 days without adding ice.The cheapies we previously used were about a day and a half at best which obviously didn’t make it on a weekend and ice is hard to come up with in the woods.
If did everything right, drinks went in cold,prechilled and only opened occasionally it’s good for over a week. We tested a couple times and that’s no biggie but that’s not us

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
View attachment 135055

What size Pelican is that @CumminsPusher?

Tundra20

Tundra20

Supporting Member
Oct 14, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Mabe idk i. Can take rubber maid in boat all day and it last longer than the lifetime I bought at Walmart guess I should have been more clear i dont own any fancy coolers lol im to cheap but for the money rubbermaids last a full day out on boat but yes they need ice after a day

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mabe idk i. Can take rubber maid in boat all day and it last longer than the lifetime I bought at Walmart guess I should have been more clear i dont own any fancy coolers lol im to cheap but for the money rubbermaids last a full day out on boat but yes they need ice after a day
My bad, I misunderstood you bud.

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really like my igloo sportsman. And my ozark trail soft cooler. Rtic is awesome and is what I will buy next time...

Reactions: Backwoods

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!