P1000 Which skid plate to buy...

P

Piercej40

May 16, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am new to this forum, so please excuse me if this topic has been brought up before. I am new to the whole side by side, UTA, off road thing. I am surprised that most places are selling a skid plate made of 1/4" plastic, or 3/16" aluminum. In my mind I thought there would be several companies selling steel plates. So I am asking the members of this forum to advise me on how to protect the underbelly of a 2021 pioneer 1000-5 deluxe.
Thank you in advance to all or anyone who replies.

Reactions: TripleB and TxDoc
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Imo, get a 1/2” skid plate and one that covers the entire underside not just the center. I have the SATV skid plate and it was super easy to install without having to tip the machine over on its side.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

with discount ......

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’m running the 3/8 UHMD tusk from Rocky Mountain it’s enough for me. If your into serious rock crawling I’d go 1/2.

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520

with discount ......
I wish they'd make a set for the 500/520...

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I only have experience with aluminum skid plates made by Ricochet so I can’t comment on the UHM material offered by other manufacturers. I live in the south so I don’t do any rock crawling but my main reason for getting the full under carriage plates are for CV boot protection and to protect from branches punching through my floor boards when I’m in the woods driving over small trees and fallen trees. The skids aren’t cheap but they’re not as expensive as a trip to the emergency room for being impaled by a branch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
For the weight of the Pioneer, 1/2” UHMV (or whatever the proper letters are for plastic 😊) - I’m running the Trail Armor (but on a Talon).

Reactions: JenElio and TripleB
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The proper letters are for Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene, or UHMW-PE (often stated as UHMW for short).

UHMW is the mechanically strongest plastic known, 1" will stop a 45 ACP. It is almost as slippery as Teflon, but far stronger. It's often used for wear strips and rubbing blocks in industry, and is more resistant to aggregate abrasion than many steels. Of course it's way lighter than steel, so there's a weight savings as well, and is more expensive than steel - so fabricators aren't using it to save a buck, that's for sure. Note that UHMW is not the same as HDPE (High Density Polyethylene), which is way cheaper and commonly used for some plastic containers etc.

I used it to line the impeller and chute on my tractor snow blower as it's high surface tension prevents snow from sticking and it increases the throw distance.

Last edited:
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am new to this forum, so please excuse me if this topic has been brought up before. I am new to the whole side by side, UTA, off road thing. I am surprised that most places are selling a skid plate made of 1/4" plastic, or 3/16" aluminum. In my mind I thought there would be several companies selling steel plates. So I am asking the members of this forum to advise me on how to protect the underbelly of a 2021 pioneer 1000-5 deluxe.
Thank you in advance to all or anyone who replies.
You’re going to want 1/2” UHMW, I’ve broke a few of these and they are by far tougher than what you’re thinking about. Trail Armor is a good choice, there’s also SuperAtv and Factory UTV.

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
I have had good luck with superatv products... thats my next purchase, the full skid from them.
giphy.gif

🤣 🤣

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just installed the 1/2” UHMW from Super ATV. Their delivery was fast and they fit well. I’ve never had great luck with self drilling machine bolts and there are a lot to install. The hardest part of the install was pre drilling the holes. Also, don’t overtighten the bolts. If you strip them out, you’ll have to install rivnuts.

Welcome to the forum from southern Arizona.

Homer

Homer

Happy Birthday MoPower!
Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Happy with factory utv. 1/2 inch. 1 piece belly, takes hits, easily slides over rocks and ruts.
Satv seems well liked also.

Reactions: JenElio and TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!