Who are the winners and losers of the post cv-19 era?

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Why are food banks closing/losing? I thought some rich dude gave 100,000,000.00 to them. That is a lot of food!

Reactions: 100Acre
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
More CV19 Winners....👍

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
More CV19 Winners....👍

And the flip side ......I dont have an opinion either way just saw the article

It's Time to Delete Your Delivery Apps

For weeks, as restaurants begged delivery platforms to reduce their commissions, the apps refused, further profiting from the coronavirus crisis.

It's not an uncommon ritual right now. You are on your couch in your pajamas, something you haven't changed out of all day. Who can blame you? Now is the time for comfort, no matter what the productivity gurus say. You've cooked a few meals for yourself this week, maybe even made a pot of beans or baked a loaf of sourdough, but doing all those dishes can get tiring. So can feeding yourself multiple meals a day, every day. So you grab your smartphone and open an app like Grubhub (Seamless), Postmates, UberEats, or Doordash (Caviar), browsing the options of restaurants that have made the decision to pivot to delivery.
But instead of picking pizza or tacos, you need to do something else. Delete the apps entirely.

"But what about supporting my favorite local restaurant?" you say. Well, you can still do that, by calling the restaurant directly to place your order. Or by buying merch and gift cards. Or by donating to a restaurant staff's Venmo or GoFundMe, or a fund to feed frontline workers. Or by calling your representative. (If the restaurant is only selling via delivery apps, Caviar seems to be the fairest option.)

For too long, these apps—middle-man tech companies with millions, if not billions, in funding—have long frustrated the restaurant industry. Their predatory practices include typically take a 20 to 30 percent commission from restaurants on each order, asking restaurants to pay for promotions the app is offering to customers, and adding restaurants to the app without the restaurants' consent. Not to mention the several hundred dollars these companies charge restaurants to even sign-up to use their platforms.

This behavior has only gotten more egregious as the COVID-19 pandemic has upended the entire restaurant industry, leaving millions of restaurant employees out of work and chefs and owners scrambling desperately to find any way to save their restaurants in an industry with already razor-thin margins. For weeks, as restaurants begged the delivery apps to reduce their commissions, the apps refused, instead embarking on misleading PR campaigns, positioning themselves as friends and saviors of the restaurant industry.

Read more: Delivery Platforms Need to Give Restaurants a Break

Grubhub made an initial splash in March by announcing that it was deferring commission payments of up to $100 million. But deferring only means collecting the money at a later date, not a reduction in commissions. Postmates reached out to celebrities to shoutout their favorite local restaurants in an ad campaign. Caviar dropped its delivery fee for customers, and Grubhub announced a promotion offering $10 off any $30 order placed between 5 and 9 p.m.. What the promotion failed to explain was that Grubhub forced the restaurants to pick up the tab on the promotion. And if that wasn't enough, Grubhub also took its commission based on the total cost of the order before the discount.

The apps do all of this, while severely underpaying its delivery drivers. This was already an issue pre-pandemic—the average pay is about $10 to $15 per hour. Now, they have one of the most dangerous jobs, and while some companies like Caviar are providing drivers with hand sanitizer and gloves, none have offered their drivers pay raises or health care.

It might be easier to be sympathetic with these apps if they were, like the businesses they depended upon, losing money. But they are not. Instead, they are profiting during this crisis.

As people stay at home, delivery has become more popular than ever before. An UberEats spokesperson told Fox News that delivery orders "in the U.S. and Canada have increased by 30 percent since mid-March." And as shelter-in-place orders continue to extend, that number will likely only rise.

Read more: The F&W Pro Guide to Coronavirus

If these apps actually cared about the restaurants upon which their businesses are built, they would agree to commission caps at 10 percent or less. Tock, restaurateur Nick Kokonas's reservation and pick-up platform, offers a standard 3 percent commission contract. Instead, according to a report from Eater, the tech companies have no plans to reduce their commissions and are fighting any efforts requiring them to do so.

Today, shortly after San Francisco passed an emergency order requiring delivery apps to cap their commissions at 15 percent, Grubhub sent an email to its SF-based customers, pleading with them to oppose the order. It should be noted that earlier this week, DoorDash announced that it would reduce all commission fees for restaurants with five or less locations by 50 percent between April 13 and the end of May. While it is progress, it might be too little, too late. Nor does it offer a permanent solution to these predatory practices.

The COVID-19 pandemic has completely capsized the restaurant industry as we have known it. The industry that currently exists is a shell of what it was just a month ago. As restaurants debate the moral dilemmas of keeping their staffs safe versus the financial dilemma of closing, as restaurants reckon with the fact that much of the industry was broken before this crisis, as restaurants figure out how to operate in a world full of unknowns, delivery apps should not be allowed to continue the same vulturous practices they deployed in a pre-coronavirus world.

Until these apps actively start agreeing to commission caps, it's time to delete your delivery apps and let them burn.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
And the flip side ......I dont have an opinion either way just saw the article

It's Time to Delete Your Delivery Apps

For weeks, as restaurants begged delivery platforms to reduce their commissions, the apps refused, further profiting from the coronavirus crisis.

It's not an uncommon ritual right now. You are on your couch in your pajamas, something you haven't changed out of all day. Who can blame you? Now is the time for comfort, no matter what the productivity gurus say. You've cooked a few meals for yourself this week, maybe even made a pot of beans or baked a loaf of sourdough, but doing all those dishes can get tiring. So can feeding yourself multiple meals a day, every day. So you grab your smartphone and open an app like Grubhub (Seamless), Postmates, UberEats, or Doordash (Caviar), browsing the options of restaurants that have made the decision to pivot to delivery.
But instead of picking pizza or tacos, you need to do something else. Delete the apps entirely.

"But what about supporting my favorite local restaurant?" you say. Well, you can still do that, by calling the restaurant directly to place your order. Or by buying merch and gift cards. Or by donating to a restaurant staff's Venmo or GoFundMe, or a fund to feed frontline workers. Or by calling your representative. (If the restaurant is only selling via delivery apps, Caviar seems to be the fairest option.)

For too long, these apps—middle-man tech companies with millions, if not billions, in funding—have long frustrated the restaurant industry. Their predatory practices include typically take a 20 to 30 percent commission from restaurants on each order, asking restaurants to pay for promotions the app is offering to customers, and adding restaurants to the app without the restaurants' consent. Not to mention the several hundred dollars these companies charge restaurants to even sign-up to use their platforms.

This behavior has only gotten more egregious as the COVID-19 pandemic has upended the entire restaurant industry, leaving millions of restaurant employees out of work and chefs and owners scrambling desperately to find any way to save their restaurants in an industry with already razor-thin margins. For weeks, as restaurants begged the delivery apps to reduce their commissions, the apps refused, instead embarking on misleading PR campaigns, positioning themselves as friends and saviors of the restaurant industry.

Read more: Delivery Platforms Need to Give Restaurants a Break

Grubhub made an initial splash in March by announcing that it was deferring commission payments of up to $100 million. But deferring only means collecting the money at a later date, not a reduction in commissions. Postmates reached out to celebrities to shoutout their favorite local restaurants in an ad campaign. Caviar dropped its delivery fee for customers, and Grubhub announced a promotion offering $10 off any $30 order placed between 5 and 9 p.m.. What the promotion failed to explain was that Grubhub forced the restaurants to pick up the tab on the promotion. And if that wasn't enough, Grubhub also took its commission based on the total cost of the order before the discount.

The apps do all of this, while severely underpaying its delivery drivers. This was already an issue pre-pandemic—the average pay is about $10 to $15 per hour. Now, they have one of the most dangerous jobs, and while some companies like Caviar are providing drivers with hand sanitizer and gloves, none have offered their drivers pay raises or health care.

It might be easier to be sympathetic with these apps if they were, like the businesses they depended upon, losing money. But they are not. Instead, they are profiting during this crisis.

As people stay at home, delivery has become more popular than ever before. An UberEats spokesperson told Fox News that delivery orders "in the U.S. and Canada have increased by 30 percent since mid-March." And as shelter-in-place orders continue to extend, that number will likely only rise.

Read more: The F&W Pro Guide to Coronavirus

If these apps actually cared about the restaurants upon which their businesses are built, they would agree to commission caps at 10 percent or less. Tock, restaurateur Nick Kokonas's reservation and pick-up platform, offers a standard 3 percent commission contract. Instead, according to a report from Eater, the tech companies have no plans to reduce their commissions and are fighting any efforts requiring them to do so.

Today, shortly after San Francisco passed an emergency order requiring delivery apps to cap their commissions at 15 percent, Grubhub sent an email to its SF-based customers, pleading with them to oppose the order. It should be noted that earlier this week, DoorDash announced that it would reduce all commission fees for restaurants with five or less locations by 50 percent between April 13 and the end of May. While it is progress, it might be too little, too late. Nor does it offer a permanent solution to these predatory practices.

The COVID-19 pandemic has completely capsized the restaurant industry as we have known it. The industry that currently exists is a shell of what it was just a month ago. As restaurants debate the moral dilemmas of keeping their staffs safe versus the financial dilemma of closing, as restaurants reckon with the fact that much of the industry was broken before this crisis, as restaurants figure out how to operate in a world full of unknowns, delivery apps should not be allowed to continue the same vulturous practices they deployed in a pre-coronavirus world.

Until these apps actively start agreeing to commission caps, it's time to delete your delivery apps and let them burn.
I can see a competition problem between restaurants and those you highlighted. But my link is not related to that and highlights small private businesses that specialize in running errands for individuals like picking up your groceries. These people are big winners right now.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
)

Unfortunately, mail has to be opened and separated by humans.
Voter fraud can happen when “stacks” of manually handled and sorted mail ballots somehow disappear in the C file, with no real trace.

I think that Voter ID is like a drivers license or passport or Social Security card.... each has a unique number.

Any company that develops a NATIONWIDE MODEL that ALL STATES USE.... could work identifying the voter and could be used by phone, landline, pay phone, or iPhone or Android APP. We do this everyday to validate new credit cards, talk to our bankers, get on an airplane,

Everyone could vote from anywhere. Once that unique ID number is used, it is not available for another vote.

Not that hard. Many companies could develop this and profit from implementation and upkeep of our National Voting Electronic System. Symbol NVES😅😅

BTW, everyone has to take several forms of ID to the DOV (Dept of Motor Vehicles) to get a new license by October if you want to fly. The new license put a Safe Traveler mark on your license. You will need to bring:

1. Drivers license (with or without driving privileges)

2. marriage license for women if legal name changed from marriage

3. Recent utility bill showing residence

4. social security card

Why can’t they also put a LEGAL VOTER MARK ON IT AS WELL??? Or issue a National Voter ID as well???

Sorry for the rant😎😎😎
National ID cards....😳😳😳

Oh no can’t do that, everybody hates that.

The Quick Way to End the Vote-Fraud Wars? A National ID Card
Just two problems: Conservatives hate it. And liberals hate it.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
It’s my point.....and correct.

There’s plenty of polling data on this. Even some Republicans are disenchanted over the way Trump is handling this, and are critical of his s*** shows dubbed CV19 pressers....

You said in response to my remark about the polls being wrong:

"Except for a little thing called the EC. Clinton won the PV by 3 million votes."

The PV has nothing to do with national polls being badly skewed. If you take California out of the popular vote equation, then Trump wins the rest of the country by 1.4 million votes. Outside of California, Clinton was a huge PV loser. The polls didn't reflect that. Trump won the PV in 30 of the 50 states.

Polls were skewed then, they are skewed now.

Trump won in an EC landslide.

It caught all the pollsters with their pants down.

Many are now showing Biden ahead of Trump.

Who are they polling?

Have you been polled?

Anyone here been polled?

I was just looking at the "The Economist/YouGov Poll March 29 - 31, 2020 - 1500 US Adult citizens" poll. Here is how it was weighted:

Democrat 541

Independent 560

Republican 399

It shows Biden with an edge in the upcoming election. Imagine that.

Relying on opinion polls, election forecasters put Clinton’s chance of winning at anywhere from 70% to as high as 99%, and pegged her as the heavy favorite. Apparently, they haven't learned their lesson.

Trump won in spite of the media throwing everything they had at him including the stacked polls they weaponized against him. I think he's going to win again. I just can't believe this country could be stupid enough to elect an obviously senile old loser like Biden, but I may well be underestimating the stupidity of people.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
ic

"Except for a little thing called the EC. Clinton won the PV by 3 million votes."

The PV has nothing to do with national polls being badly skewed. If you take California out of the popular vote equation, then Trump wins the rest of the country by 1.4 million votes. Outside of California, Clinton was a huge PV loser. The polls didn't reflect that. Trump won the PV in 30 of the 50 states.

Who are they polling?

Have you been polled?

Anyone here been polled?

I was just looking at the "The Economist/YouGov Poll March 29 - 31, 2020 - 1500 US Adult citizens" poll. Here is how it was weighted:

Democrat 541

Independent 560

Republican 399

Relying on opinion polls, election forecasters put Clinton’s chance of winning at anywhere from 70% to as high as 99%, and pegged her as the heavy favorite. Apparently, they haven't learned their lesson.

Trump won in spite of the media throwing everything they had at him including the stacked polls they weaponized against him. I think he's going to win again. I just can't believe this country could be stupid enough to elect an obviously senile old loser like Biden, but I may well be underestimating the stupidity of people.
I've never been polled and I'm 45 years old. I was 100% sure trump didn't have a chance because of the polls but I voted for him anyways. I don't listen to those polls anymore.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Who are they polling?

Have you been polled?

Anyone here been polled?

Democrat 541

Independent 560

Republican 399

Polls are wrong until they paint a favorable picture....🤷‍♂️

As to who Americans will vote for, we’ll have to wait and see come November. It depends on a lot of things, including on Americans holding Trump responsible for his early dismissal of multiple warnings about CV19 from his own agencies....

A new report on the Trump administration's missteps in the early days of the coronavirus' spread into the US was published in the New York Times on Saturday, detailing new instances showing how President Donald Trump ignored the warnings of his advisers about the lethal infectious disease approaching America's doorstep.

According to the report, Dr. Robert Kadlec, the top disaster response official at the Department of Health and Human Services, convened the White House coronavirus task force on February 21. During his meeting, the group conducted a mock-up exercise of the pandemic. It predicted 110 million infections, 7.7 million hospitalizations and 586,000 deaths. As a result, the group "concluded they would soon need to move toward aggressive social distancing, even at the risk of severe disruption to the nation's economy and the daily lives of millions of Americans."

However, it would take more than three weeks for Trump to enact social distancing guidelines on March 16.

Last edited:
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Polls are like a fart. Never trust them. I wish Trump had not fallen for the hype.

Reactions: Mopower58
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
ic

I've never been polled and I'm 45 years old. I was 100% sure trump didn't have a chance because of the polls but I voted for him anyways. I don't listen to those polls anymore.

Me either. Notice how the poll I referred to was stacked.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For everyone who has doubted me. Follow the money...Will you be a winner or a looser?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Mail in voting makes the cheaters the winners. DNC pushing mailing ballots to inactive voters is just another example of how low they go to gain power.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
More like violation of constitutional rights

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Trump praised both California and New York governors for leading the way in SAHO’s.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Nevada’s mail in voting....

............The groups also said that Clark County election officials had agreed to other stipulations, including reviewing every flagged mismatched signature by at least two reviewers of different parties and reaching out to voters within 24 hours if an issue with their signature is identified. The county officials have also agreed to “deputize and train” 20 individuals (including Democrats, Republicans and independents) to serve as “field registrars of voters” allowed to travel and receive voted, sealed mail ballots from voters on Election Day.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
IMG 2061

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Nevada’s mail in voting....

............The groups also said that Clark County election officials had agreed to other stipulations, including reviewing every flagged mismatched signature by at least two reviewers of different parties and reaching out to voters within 24 hours if an issue with their signature is identified. The county officials have also agreed to “deputize and train” 20 individuals (including Democrats, Republicans and independents) to serve as “field registrars of voters” allowed to travel and receive voted, sealed mail ballots from voters on Election Day.

But why would they want ballots sent to inactive voters? A serious question.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well our son that is a Doctor and his girlfriend who is a nurse both tested positive for the Kung flu. They were both here for Mother's Day. The wife and I have checked our temp and it is ok. We haven't shown any symptoms and just like our President, I don't wear a mask.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
But why would they want ballots sent to inactive voters? A serious question.
Just because a person hasn’t voted in the last two election cycles doesn’t mean they won’t want to vote in this one...🤷‍♂️

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!