P500 Who has switched from a RZR to Pioneer?

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I currently have a RZR 800 S. While its fun to ride, has a good ride, i really dont use it to its potential. Im thinking about selling it to get a Pioneer 500. I would love to get a 1000, but funds wont allow it. I know I wont have the power or ride quality which is a little concerning, but I love the Honda dependability. I also have kids that sit in the seat of my RZR and I putter around with them, the grab bar in the RZR is nice for them to hold on to. How is the seating in the Pioneer for kids (not trail riding per se, but just puttering around on my property.)

Has anyone made the switch, any regrets?

I know with the Pioneer I plan to add some 26 or 27" tires and maybe spacers as well.

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
I take my son with me to check cameras full feeders or whatever I need to do on our place and he does fine. He is two. But I do put the net up on the side for him. You won't get the topend speed of that Polaris but I can guarantee you the 500 can pull more than your Polaris thought about. I love not having a bed because there are so many things that can be done because it's a normal rack on the backend. Also one other thing I love about the 500 is does not seem to have near the little issues as te other two pioneers. I'm sure they are fine machines but this 500 is very hard to beat in my opinion. Best of luck on your decision.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
I currently have a RZR 800 S. While its fun to ride, has a good ride, i really dont use it to its potential. Im thinking about selling it to get a Pioneer 500. I would love to get a 1000, but funds wont allow it. I know I wont have the power or ride quality which is a little concerning, but I love the Honda dependability. I also have kids that sit in the seat of my RZR and I putter around with them, the grab bar in the RZR is nice for them to hold on to. How is the seating in the Pioneer for kids (not trail riding per se, but just puttering around on my property.)

I know with the Pioneer I plan to add some 26 or 27" tires and maybe spacers as well.
If it were me I'd opt for the 700. I ride with buddies who have RZR 800's, 1000's, you name it. My 700 goes pretty much anywhere they do. The advantage the 700 has over the 500 is power and room. You get the 4 seat option and the bed which is nice. They've also made some nice changes to the 2017 model. My nephew rides in mine with me at the lake. He sits right over next to me on the bench seat.

Reactions: Tflynn
jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
Kids and low budjet? 700-4 and don't look back. Kids and adults and 700's work great. 500's are great but I'm not sure about kids and 500's though I've done both. Best wishes.

Talen

Talen

Aug 7, 2015
Central PA
If it were me I'd opt for the 700. I ride with buddies who have RZR 800's, 1000's, you name it. My 700 goes pretty much anywhere they do. The advantage the 700 has over the 500 is power and room. You get the 4 seat option and the bed which is nice. They've also made some nice changes to the 2017 model. My nephew rides in mine with me at the lake. He sits right over next to me on the bench seat.
700 from what I have read, is same power to weight as 500. But less capable dude to 3 speed

Reactions: SBuckJ and pFive
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X

I have RZR 900 trail and pioneer 500 . You know the power and ride differences . I have 4 grand daughters 4-8 yrs old and I can take any two of them with me in Pioneer , no way in the RZR . It's a lil tight with the biggest two but adding a foam pad (noodle) to the metal bar on the right side makes it great they say . No grab bar but if your puttering around you don't need it . My girls ride in both and always hang on to it in the RZR but don't seem to miss it any in the Pioneer . The Pioneer is fun , dependable , quiet , and gets at least twice the fuel economy .
Had the RZR over a year then bought the Pioneer . Totally happy with the Honda .

SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
I had a trail Walker Evans edition RZR (2012) that I had for 3200 miles or so. I liked the seats much better in the RZR though I would have to say that is the only thing I miss...I never maxed it out or even needed the speed so it was overkill for me. Maintenance was HORRIBLE on the RZR. If I didn't grease every week the dreaded squeekers came out. After those 3200 miles all a-arm bushing were changed once, all wheel bearings twice, throttle cable changed, that darn u-joint under the seat, a belt, and bad water pump seal changed...same number of miles on my P5 now and all I have changed is oil and brakes,,,and I love the shifters. I would never go back to a Polaris. The fact that you have an S I'm not so sure you would like the stiffer ride of the 500 but it really wasn't a deal breaker for me..I sacrificed a little comfort for no maintenance. The other down side to the 500, at this point, is the limited aftermarket accessories...

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks everyone. For the riding im doing im not sure i will miss the shocks terribly much. I know ill miss the power even though I dont use it a ton. I think the Pioneer 500 is pretty ugly (front end) but function I think is good. Ive been thinking about a 1000-3 basic, but I dont think id be able to afford that right now. So most likely its gonna be a 500. Im hoping i can get a deal on a 17 for the auto tranny option. Would prefer to have an arm free while driving with the kids

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm in agreement with the rest, 700 ALL DAY. More suspension travel, the 3 speed is really nice in them, no clutches to burn because it has an automotive style torque converter. Way more room, more stable because it's wider. Which to me matters with youngins. The 500 is a great machine, though I think you will find its limits rather quickly.

advertisement
rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks everyone. For the riding im doing im not sure i will miss the shocks terribly much. I know ill miss the power even though I dont use it a ton. I think the Pioneer 500 is pretty ugly (front end) but function I think is good. Ive been thinking about a 1000-3 basic, but I dont think id be able to afford that right now. So most likely its gonna be a 500. Im hoping i can get a deal on a 17 for the auto tranny option. Would prefer to have an arm free while driving with the kids
I think the 500 is ugly in factory state. I think bigger tires and strong made bumpers can make them look pretty cool.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I agree tires and some offset wheels can make a big difference as well as the bumper

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks everyone for the replies. I had a chance to go to the dealership to check some out. After sitting in the 500, 700, and 1000, ive decided its gonna need to be a 1000 for me. Im hoping to work out a deal for a 1000-5, but if not then a 1000-3. For riding around the yard and the street I think the turf mode would be much appreciated. The 1000-5 could fit my entire family, but Im not sure if ill be able to afford it.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks everyone for the replies. I had a chance to go to the dealership to check some out. After sitting in the 500, 700, and 1000, ive decided its gonna need to be a 1000 for me. Im hoping to work out a deal for a 1000-5, but if not then a 1000-3. For riding around the yard and the street I think the turf mode would be much appreciated. The 1000-5 could fit my entire family, but Im not sure if ill be able to afford it.
If it were me I'd hold out and get what you want. If you compromise it will end up costing you money later on. Wait and get the 1000-5 if that is what you want. If you don't you'll end up putting accessories on the 1000-3 just to end up trading or selling it. I've yet to hear someone say the wish they would've got the 1000-3 over the 1000-5. However, I have heard it in the opposite direction. It won't take too long to save up the difference... You won't regret waiting!

J

JTW

Good call!! I just upgraded to the 1000-5 deluxe from the 500 and there's no looking back! You'll LOVE IT!!! But LP is right.. it's worth the extra money for the 5 if you have little ones around. With the 17's coming out the 16's should get cheaper or you may find some used ones.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
yea, yall are right. Id love the Deluxe, but the regular 1000-5 would be fine. Hoping now that the 2017 is released i can find a good deal on a 2016.

Reactions: LandPioneer
J

JTW

yea, yall are right. Id love the Deluxe, but the regular 1000-5 would be fine. Hoping now that the 2017 is released i can find a good deal on a 2016.
I agree.. not sure the deluxe is really worth it but it's what my dealer had. And it's purrrdy!

Reactions: drfubar
J

Jshell3

@JTW It's time to revisit your personal profile page... Update Ownership and Signature. Sorry... Got to stay on top of the house keeping around here.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!