P500 Who wants a diff. Lock ?

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
That much i get, i know i saw someone else say something about the idea of running it without pwr steering too. Just wondering if it is really going to be that awful without it or not if a guy only has to deal with it when using the 4wd as needed and not consistently. I know some guys like to keep their rigs in 4wd but i generally only use it when i suspect i will not be able to get by in 2wd
shouldn't make steering harder, if moving its easy and will be regardless if you have a locker, and it wont make any difference if your setting still. Used to run ratcheting lockers in Jeeps, they work just have to get used to the ratcheting or clicking noise when turning and the wheels are not spinning the same speed. However just like in CJ's and Wranglers when spinning and locked up front and rear understeer can be an issue.

hondasrule

hondasrule

Feb 27, 2017
ontario
Ownership

1. 500
I was looking into reasons why will never get a bolt in locker on the p500 and here it is... The carrier is sold as complete assembly because it uses a press in pin that is REALLYHARD to remove for obvious reasons. I think this could be a major and only obstacle for the weekend mechanic or do it yourselfer. Not to say that it cant be done but its questionable especially if the kit will cost few hundred dollars and you will have to tweak it or tap it to get it working again. Thoughts on this??
let me hear it..

Diff1 Diff2 Diff3 Diff4

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They could provide a drilling jig to remove the peening in their kit.
Hopefully this is an issue they address when they come to market.

Was the pin truly pressed in? Or once you removed the peens, it fell right out?

C

Chooglin

I was looking into reasons why will never get a bolt in locker on the p500 and here it is... The carrier is sold as complete assembly because it uses a press in pin that is REALLYHARD to remove for obvious reasons. I think this could be a major and only obstacle for the weekend mechanic or do it yourselfer. Not to say that it cant be done but its questionable especially if the kit will cost few hundred dollars and you will have to tweak it or tap it to get it working again. Thoughts on this??
let me hear it..

View attachment 64371 View attachment 64372 View attachment 64373 View attachment 64374

Is that a thru hole that the pin goes in , or a blind hole ? Pics don't show the other side of the hole !

C

Chooglin

Can you show a pic of the other end of the carrier ? If that is a thru hole , then only one end of the hole needs to be peened. The ring gear would keep the pin from falling out after the carrier is bolted to the ring gear !

hondasrule

hondasrule

Feb 27, 2017
ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Can you show a pic of the other end of the carrier ? If that is a thru hole , then only one end of the hole needs to be peened. The ring gear would keep the pin from falling out after the carrier is bolted to the ring gear !
Its a through hole that is machined 3/4 way in so it can only go in one way and out the same way.

Diff pic 5

hondasrule

hondasrule

Feb 27, 2017
ontario
Ownership

1. 500
They could provide a drilling jig to remove the peening in their kit.
Hopefully this is an issue they address when they come to market.

Was the pin truly pressed in? Or once you removed the peens, it fell right out?
It was in there firmly. I actually heated it slightly to get it moving past the peens but yes it was hard all the way out to the end. it was bending my pin punch. lol needless to say its f--ked.

Reactions: Seg and Dp5hunter
M

Mlaz81

Dec 24, 2017
Madison OH
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Anybody else find it pathetic that a thread needs to be started for what should be just a given piece of standard equipment? Nearly every machine offered today (quad and SxS) has one. Hell, even my YXZ has one! I like my 500, but this is just one of the many reasons its relegated to work duty and no fun.

C

Chooglin

After looking at the pics some more , this is what I would have done. I would not knock the pin out of the end that is peened. I would drill the hole larger than the pin dia. , From the ring gear side. Remove the pin from the ring gear side and drill and tap the hole ( don't know what size thread because I don't know the pin dia.) Then loctite a set screw in the threads after you put the pin back in !

C

Chooglin

@hondasrule what is the reason for the tear down on your differential, did something break ?

hondasrule

hondasrule

Feb 27, 2017
ontario
Ownership

1. 500
@hondasrule what is the reason for the tear down on your differential, did something break ?
I purchased one brand new for disassembly and research.
I am going to make it a locking spool and test it out on my machine.
I actually think with the power steering and small wheel base it will only hop slightly and hopefully it will be a decent trade off to be completely locked.

hondasrule

hondasrule

Feb 27, 2017
ontario
Ownership

1. 500
After looking at the pics some more , this is what I would have done. I would not knock the pin out of the end that is peened. I would drill the hole larger than the pin dia. , From the ring gear side. Remove the pin from the ring gear side and drill and tap the hole ( don't know what size thread because I don't know the pin dia.) Then loctite a set screw in the threads after you put the pin back in !
That is a great idea chooglin. Love it. That could work perfectly rather that beating it through the pened side. It’s cast so it will drill and tap easily.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you didn’t remove the peening, that completely explains why it was a bear to remove.
The peening can be removed with a stone or carbide in a dremel to remove the pin. Eay enough to repeen after assembly with a hammer or center punch.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Forgive me if I missed it, but skimmed through this long post and curious, anyone yet try a Foreman front differential? In addition to a front locker, I would be very interested in a "turf mode" in the rear...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!