• Welcome to HONDASXS.com

If you are a guest please take time to REGISTER with us. Stay up to date on the Honda Side by Side line and take part in our online forum. Check out the FAQ. Once you register you can start to make post. Users will respond to your question or statement. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit below or click the board index to see a list of all forums. Thanks and have fun.

P500 Who wants a diff. Lock ?

Discussion in 'General Pioneer 500 Discussion' started by Chooglin, Aug 8, 2017.

1. hondasrule

hondasrule Active Member

Ownership:
    I completely agree. Removeing some material where it’s pened would have helped. I likely would have not bent my punch or would have had to use heat. I can say forsure the pin is a interference fit and the pene is so it won’t just fall out if it somehow works loose.
    I like chooglig idea to drill and tap opposite side. Then fill it with set screws. That could work from a consumers point.

Dp5hunter and Chooglin like this.
  2. DG Rider

DG Rider Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Preaching to the choir. It has been debated many times.
    Now I'd like to see what the innerds of the 700 front diff looks like, since the 500 appears to use the same housing minus the extension on the passenger side (which presumably houses the locking mechanism). It must use a different carrier set-up. Time to go look at some parts diagrams...

I believe this has been checked into and the Foreman is different.

3. DG Rider

Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    @hondasrule your pics don't really show it, but was one side of the carrier ( where the axles would insert ) splined on the outside?

This is the 700 and you can see how the locker works...

700 front diff.jpg

Dp5hunter likes this.
  4. hondasrule

hondasrule Active Member

Ownership:
    on the 700 models item#19 slides back and forth locking the passenger side drive axle to the carrier. here is pic of where it locks onto on the carrier.

diff pic 7.jpg diif pic 6.jpg

DG Rider, Dp5hunter and Gassygordo like this.
  5. DG Rider

Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Right...and I'm guessing that splined area is missing from the 500 carrier? Not that there's a reason for it to be there...just thinking for simplicity, maybe Honda just had one carrier for both the diffs (being so similar) and 500 guys could bolt on the extension and related parts and at least have that part taken care of if they could move the diff over to the driver side a few inches. And take care of the (now angled) front drive shaft. And get the proper length CV's...and...
    A lot of stuff for the average guy to do, but Honda could have done it pretty easily...

Dp5hunter likes this.
  6. hondasrule

hondasrule Active Member

Ownership:
    I agree completely. Moving diff over to give space for drive axle to move would be the very best way to solve this.then they could have just kept the 700 diff in all of them. I am thinking as soon as Honda wanted to market a 50 inch machine they basically started narrowing by any means possible.

Dp5hunter and DG Rider like this.
  7. Yota87

Yota87 Active Member

Ownership:

8. Russ989

Russ989 Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Ownership:
    700-4
    Air hammer time, if it were easy everyone would do it lol.

Dp5hunter and JWB like this.
  9. JWB

JWB Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    I have done some research on this, and yes, the only difference between the 700 diff, and the 500 diff, is the gear ratio, and the lack of the locking components bolted to the side of the diff case. The cases, and carrier are the same. So you could take the cover off the passenger side of 500 diff, and bolt the locking assembly to it. I just looked for and found a used complete 700 diff for about $600. So move the diff over, add a u-joint to drive shaft- have to change length too. If you're really lucky, the short axle from the passenger side will be the right length for the drivers side. But, if the distance is too short, you could move all the front suspension out a little bit by welding on new extended mount points for the control arms, and lengthen the tie rods the corresponding amount. You can also buy the front locker cable and shifter for about $30 on e-bay. Like you said, a ton of work and aggravation. What's really annoying about all of this, is that as you said, Honda could very easily offer this on the 500, with parts off the shelf. It would be worth the extra $600 bucks that Honda should charge for the option.

Dp5hunter, DG Rider and Gassygordo like this.
  10. DG Rider

Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    I was thinking the same thing about the passenger-to-driver axle hopes.

I had also done some research on this shortly after the 500 came out, but my interest was putting the lower 500 gears in the 700. There was some discrepancy in the actual ratios on the parts fiches, and the cost would have been something like $2500 with the new parts, so i dropped it.

JWB and Dp5hunter like this.
  11. JACKAL

JACKAL Ancient Guru
    Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Member Supporting Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    500, 1000-5
    Been in conversation about this topic with people that know this won't work. Sorry , just would hate to see someone spend a lot of money for no gain. You can take my word for it or not, but you can't say you wasn't warned. I would like to get a locker as much as anyone else .

rocmar, DG Rider, Dp5hunter and 4 others like this.
  12. JWB

JWB Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    I'd like to know why it won't work- mostly out curiosity- there's no way I would ever spend that kind of time and money just for a locking diff that should have been there in the first place. I'm starting to wonder if the part #'s are wrong in the diagrams cuz they certainly show matching #'s between the machines. Still waiting for Torq-Masters to send me a locker....

DG Rider, Dp5hunter and Bad_bowtie like this.
  13. pFive

pFive Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    I am on the fence with waiting on Torque Masters at all. They have been inundated with info and date requests but have been blowing smoke up our collective asses for a long time, meanwhile they already have new products out for some new 2018 buggies and differentials. Not one mention from them on their Facebook page about this locker, but a lot of posting about other products. If they were 3-6 weeks out I would expect them to at least mention it on their timeline. I keep poking it with a stick, every time they mention another new product on their FB page I reply with the need for one for my P5...(It would be great if maybe some other P5 owners would do the same so they see some numbers.), but no replies, not even a like. No mention about it on any Honda oriented social media sites at all.

Dp5hunter and Bad_bowtie like this.
  14. Chooglin

Chooglin Well-Known Member
    Vendor Lifetime Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    I emailed them this morning

I am sure you guys are tired of getting emails asking about the locker for the Pioneer 500. The community is anxiously awaiting the reliese of this. Is there any info you can give us on a possible release date on the locker ?

Thanks
    Joe

And there reply was

HI Joe,

"No worries, the enthusiasm from the community is encouraging. We don't have a release date right now, but they are in production. Our broach takes 14 weeks to ship, this is our main delay."

So this is going to happen , we just need to be patient for a little longer!

15. Neohio

Neohio One day closer to retirement.
    Lifetime Member Supporting Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    1000-5
    Ask them for a screenshot of the model, or something you can share as an update. MSRP or Projected MSRP etc.

JWB, Dp5hunter and Bad_bowtie like this.
  16. Chooglin

Ownership:
    I think they would probably deny me of a picture, they probably don't want the word out until they are ready.

Although I think we will get a locker eventually, I won't believe it until I hear/see it from them !

#276 Chooglin, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    trigger, JWB, Dp5hunter and 1 other person like this.
  17. Chooglin

Ownership:
    I also contacted them through messenger, from there facebook page. If they reply , I will try to squeeze some more info out of them !

JWB, Dp5hunter and Bad_bowtie like this.
  18. Mudder

Mudder Patriot Rider
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Might suggest if they plan on a P500 install video, to address the questions above. Bet . AppalachianMountainRiders could do a video if he was sent one.

trigger, JWB, Russ989 and 3 others like this.
  19. Chooglin

Ownership:
    So it sounds like they are waiting on the broach , that cuts the splines for the axles !

I am speaking with them now , I will update !

20. Chooglin

Ownership:
    This is where the conversation is now..........waiting on a reply!

Screenshot_2018-02-13-14-49-53.png Screenshot_2018-02-13-14-50-01.png

Twangin, JWB, Seg and 2 others like this.