P500 Who wants a diff. Lock ?

Livinthelegend

Livinthelegend

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
Hello everyone! I have machined a locking spool for P500. Just installed it for drivability and durability testing. It does NOT hop the wheels at all but I did notice the steering has a slightly heavier feel to it at very low speed tight turns. I should mention I do have power steering so this helps greatly. At higher speeds above 15km cant tell any difference at all. I am refining my 3rd proto type for testing/fitment and will bring it to market if all goes well... here is a few pics to check out.

View attachment 67631 View attachment 67632 View attachment 67633 View attachment 67634

Does the front only lock when 4x4 is engaged? Is steering ect only affected when 4x4 is engaged? Does 2x4 remain unchanged? What are you planning on charging? How is the install?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Hello everyone! I have machined a locking spool for P500. Just installed it for drivability and durability testing. It does NOT hop the wheels at all but I did notice the steering has a slightly heavier feel to it at very low speed tight turns. I should mention I do have power steering so this helps greatly. At higher speeds above 15km cant tell any difference at all. I am refining my 3rd proto type for testing/fitment and will bring it to market if all goes well... here is a few pics to check out.

View attachment 67631 View attachment 67632 View attachment 67633 View attachment 67634
This is very cool! If the spool doesn't affect handling/steering too badly that is very good news. (I assume you were testing in 4wd) How did you cut the splines!? Reason I ask, is apparently that's the hold up with the Aussie-locker... I would love to try one out if you're pretty confident with it's performance- would like nothing better than to 'brag it up' if it works well. Not asking for a freebee! I just got back from WV/VA trails today- there were a couple of the 'black' trails that could've used a locker for sure. I have family in Ontario- what part of Ont. are you in? My younger brother owns/operates a motocross/RV park in Shannonville. Free Flow MX Park & Campground

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
What was that email adress to get on that notification list.
Dp5 i just googled the torq-master website and found the little tab that said 'email us' or something like that. I emailed them and said i owned a 2016 Honda Pioneer 500 and i wanted to be put on the waiting list for when the locker became available. A few days later i got a reply from a woman named Cora that said that she added me to it.

hondasrule

hondasrule

Feb 27, 2017
ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Just watched the vid. Now THAT's what I'm talking about! All you need now is the air suspension, and you could drive right over that obstacle without rolling over. What a combination that's gonna be!!
Thanks for the reply jwb. Adjuable self leveling air suspension on the fly That would killer. Love it.

Reactions: JWB and Dp5hunter
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the reply jwb. Adjuable self leveling air suspension on the fly That would killer. Love it.
DOH!! Don't want to get too far off track here..... but there's a company that makes sensors and the controllers to do the auto self leveling along with full manual control..........:mad: I'm really trying not to spend more money on the system.... but it's so cool!! The options are endless.....o_O Intro - AccuAir Suspension

hondasrule

hondasrule

Feb 27, 2017
ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Does the front only lock when 4x4 is engaged? Is steering ect only affected when 4x4 is engaged? Does 2x4 remain unchanged? What are you planning on charging? How is the install?

Thanks for inquiring. livingthelegend
2x4 still works exactly the same(lock in front axle and unlock it when you only need power to rear wheels)
the steering does feel a little heavier but only at slow speeds like 0-12 km .anything above that you cant really notice any difference at all. the p5 doesn't have the tightest turning radius to start with so wheel hop on tight turning radius is not a issue. the front wheels are always turning at the same speed with locker installed so it gives you a kinda go cart steering feel which is easy to get use to and not bad in my opinion. at the moment i am working on my 3rd proto type and refining building process and its taking an average of 6hrs to complete one. roughly time and materials i would likely ask $300.00 Canadian, plus whatever to ship. i would think if i can get this down to a fine art the price will drop as time to make product will change. Installation i think could be made easy if i can show some you tube videos and give pointers. i will likely package it with the necessary pinion pin removal tool and instruction sheet and links for video of me doing the full install. i will try to post more videos of me testing the locker out so everyone can get check it out..

hondasrule

hondasrule

Feb 27, 2017
ontario
Ownership

1. 500
This is very cool! If the spool doesn't affect handling/steering too badly that is very good news. (I assume you were testing in 4wd) How did you cut the splines!? Reason I ask, is apparently that's the hold up with the Aussie-locker... I would love to try one out if you're pretty confident with it's performance- would like nothing better than to 'brag it up' if it works well. Not asking for a freebee! I just got back from WV/VA trails today- there were a couple of the 'black' trails that could've used a locker for sure. I have family in Ontario- what part of Ont. are you in? My younger brother owns/operates a motocross/RV park in Shannonville. Free Flow MX Park & Campground
Jwb i was defiantly testing i 4wd..I am located in Uxbridge Ontario which is 45min north of Toronto. shannonville would be about 2hrs away from here.i cut my splines using the hobbing method and dividing wheel on the lathe and have made the tooling to do this task. I would be honored to send you one for bragging up rights(good or bad) and testing out its maximum capability's. they are hand made out of 4140 crome moly steel and i only want a premium product that is worthy of Hondas capability or i will drop this endeavor like a wet stone.i will contact you when next one is complete.

Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Notre-Dame de la Salette, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Jwb i was defiantly testing i 4wd..I am located in Uxbridge Ontario which is 45min north of Toronto. shannonville would be about 2hrs away from here.i cut my splines using the hobbing method and dividing wheel on the lathe and have made the tooling to do this task. I would be honored to send you one for bragging up rights(good or bad) and testing out its maximum capability's. they are hand made out of 4140 crome moly steel and i only want a premium product that is worthy of Hondas capability or i will drop this endeavor like a wet stone.i will contact you when next one is complete.
hondasrules, please keep us posted

Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Notre-Dame de la Salette, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Dp5 i just googled the torq-master website and found the little tab that said 'email us' or something like that. I emailed them and said i owned a 2016 Honda Pioneer 500 and i wanted to be put on the waiting list for when the locker became available. A few days later i got a reply from a woman named Cora that said that she added me to it.
And I never got a reply... :(

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Awesome! It would make a great comparison between the auto locker, and a spool...looking forward to the install. It must've taken hours to cut those splines. How close was the final fit on the axle?

Last edited:
jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Appalachian Mountain Riders is always up for testing and reviewing as well (wink...wink)

hondasrule

hondasrule

Feb 27, 2017
ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Awesome! It would make a great comparison between the auto locker, and a spool...looking forward to the install. It must've taken hours to cut those splines. How close was the final fit on the axel?
No slop at all it is extremely close.it fits as well as any drive shaft splines or slip joints I have seen . I use the original gear for measurements and carefully mic the major diameter. its a 25 spline and I go around each side 3times (two rough cuts and one fine cut)so total cuts 75 each side. ya its a lot! lol...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!