P500 Who wants a diff. Lock ?

hondasrule

hondasrule

Feb 27, 2017
ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Appalachian Mountain Riders is always up for testing and reviewing as well (wink...wink)
You guys are the best salesman. Appalachian Mountain Rider YOU ARE IN.. I loved your review on the shocks and looked for a dealer in Canada. Unfortunately Could not find one that could help me.. Some times I wish I was American.. America has everything I love.. I had to go with Elka shocks instead! I am happy with the ride. nice and plush.
We will be in touch. I am ordering more material today and will keep cutting .:)

For Every one else that is following this thread I am hoping 2 independent tests will confirm my spool will work. I am sure its not for everyone but Lets see once they get installed. Cant wait to see some P5 action..
Cheers..

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
So, the idea of a "Spool" in place of a locker go me to searching around a bit, and I am wondering out loud here if the spool from a Commodore Falcon Valiant/Centura Pintara would work? It seems they are 25 spline and this has peaked my interest. They are not super expensive (Shipping is often more than the part) but I would like to find a print or a drawing of one to see the dimensions. This is one of those times where it would help if these were sold in Australia. IT's already hard, so turning the OD down for fitment ain't gonna happen on a home lathe. Anyone here tinker with Holden's or others that run the 11-3051 BORG WARNER?

Here is one on Ebay.
Mini Spool Minispool Borg-Warner Diff 25 / 28 spline Holden VL Commodore F1 | eBay

Pic stolen from the www

Livinthelegend

Livinthelegend

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
What is the difference in a spool and a locker? Is one better than the other?

All I want is for both fronts to spin when in 4x4 and hopefully one of them will gain enough traction to get me through whatever I got myself in to.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
What is the difference in a spool and a locker? Is one better than the other?

All I want is for both fronts to spin when in 4x4 and hopefully one of them will gain enough traction to get me through whatever I got myself in to.

A "Locker" can disengage, either with an outside control lever, electronically. with vacuum or automatically. A spool just connects the axles together all the time. In a heavy vehicle steering can be a challenge with a spool, but in these it might not matter.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Hello everyone! I have machined a locking spool for P500. Just installed it for drivability and durability testing. It does NOT hop the wheels at all but I did notice the steering has a slightly heavier feel to it at very low speed tight turns. I should mention I do have power steering so this helps greatly. At higher speeds above 15km cant tell any difference at all. I am refining my 3rd proto type for testing/fitment and will bring it to market if all goes well... here is a few pics to check out.

View attachment 67631 View attachment 67632 View attachment 67633 View attachment 67634
I was just looking at your pics again and wanted to suggest that you make the section where the cross pin goes through as big a diameter that will fit to reduce the possibility of bending/twisting/breaking the pin (that would really suck)

hondasrule

hondasrule

Feb 27, 2017
ontario
Ownership

1. 500
I was just looking at your pics again and wanted to suggest that you make the section where the cross pin goes through as big a diameter that will fit to reduce the possibility of bending/twisting/breaking the pin (that would really suck)
Hey JWB . I will have a look at that tonight when I get to my shop. they way it has to fit in space wise is pretty limited. it slides in and has to turn sideways to fit. that's the reason for the ends being milled at 60deg .I will take a measurement for you and let you know opening size. I am pretty sure we wont have enough horsepower or wheel speed to break that pin. the pics don't do this any justice either. they use the same carrier in the 700 and if you think of the way it locks by using the right side axle to the carrier that means all the power would be transmitted straight through the spider gears and the pin would be holding all the torque. They are doing crazy wheel mods with those things and haven't heard of any breakage. I do get what your saying though. I might be able to make a spacer if or mabey the small gears themselves can take up the space.
I have to figure out how to PM you cause I will have yours finished tonight ,will need your Email to exchange addresses..

Reactions: JWB
hondasrule

hondasrule

Feb 27, 2017
ontario
Ownership

1. 500
907F14BD 1077 4F48 8099 5DB60F799A49
Hey JWB . I will have a look at that tonight when I get to my shop. they way it has to fit in space wise is pretty limited. it slides in and has to turn sideways to fit. that's the reason for the ends being milled at 60deg .I will take a measurement for you and let you know opening size. I am pretty sure we wont have enough horsepower or wheel speed to break that pin. the pics don't do this any justice either. they use the same carrier in the 700 and if you think of the way it locks by using the right side axle to the carrier that means all the power would be transmitted straight through the spider gears and the pin would be holding all the torque. They are doing crazy wheel mods with those things and haven't heard of any breakage. I do get what your saying though. I might be able to make a spacer if or mabey the small gears themselves can take up the space.
I have to figure out how to PM you cause I will have yours finished tonight ,will need your Email to exchange addresses..
Just checked it.

Reactions: pFive
hondasrule

hondasrule

Feb 27, 2017
ontario
Ownership

1. 500
What do you think of this idea. I machined th OD down and you add the spider gears in as place holders.
That’s gota stiffened that pin up.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
What do you think of this idea. I machined th OD down and you add the spider gears in as place holders.
That’s gota stiffened that pin up.

View attachment 68027
Much easier solution. NICE.
Sweet!

Last edited:
advertisement
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Oh man JWB you lucky dog! You better take pictures and let us know how it goes. I think he New York company might have taken too long!
I really really hope this works well. I don't doubt the spools capability to keep the front wheels locked at all, short of breaking something, the front wheels are gonna keep driving. My concern- and this is just me, due to the type of riding I do the most- is how the machine will handle on fast trails with lots of tight turns, or snow plowing where you have to be in 4wd and still make turns. With the front end locked, the machine may tend to want to continue to go straight on slippery surfaces. Hondasrule may be able to give us some info on the snow thing way before I can:). Speaking of the snow plow, this puts a lot more weight on the front wheels= traction, so that may be a problem as well in hi-traction situations. I hope none of the things I've mentioned cause any problems at all, cuz I want this to work (I've been whining about this since I got the machine) and I'm totally pumped about getting it installed!
For the guys that love to ride mud, no amount of suspension articulation makes any notable difference if one front wheel has more traction than the other- you just gotta have a locker. (about 40 more h.p. would help too....:rolleyes:) Turbo kit anyone?:eek::)

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Oh man JWB you lucky dog! You better take pictures and let us know how it goes. I think he New York company might have taken too long!
What part of WV you live in? I've been looking for months for a possible vacation/retirement home in WV. And.... always nice to have another excuse to go back:D

Last edited:
Livinthelegend

Livinthelegend

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
What part of WV you live in? I've been looking for months for a possible vacation/retirement home in WV. And.... always nice to have another excuse to go back:D

I live in Harpers Ferry, WV.

Reactions: JWB
hondasrule

hondasrule

Feb 27, 2017
ontario
Ownership

1. 500
I really really hope this works well. I don't doubt the spools capability to keep the front wheels locked at all, short of breaking something, the front wheels are gonna keep driving. My concern- and this is just me, due to the type of riding I do the most- is how the machine will handle on fast trails with lots of tight turns, or snow plowing where you have to be in 4wd and still make turns. With the front end locked, the machine may tend to want to continue to go straight on slippery surfaces. Hondasrule may be able to give us some info on the snow thing way before I can:). Speaking of the snow plow, this puts a lot more weight on the front wheels= traction, so that may be a problem as well in hi-traction situations. I hope none of the things I've mentioned cause any problems at all, cuz I want this to work (I've been whining about this since I got the machine) and I'm totally pumped about getting it installed!
For the guys that love to ride mud, no amount of suspension articulation makes any notable difference if one front wheel has more traction than the other- you just gotta have a locker. (about 40 more h.p. would help too....:rolleyes:) Turbo kit anyone?:eek::)
Hey JWB
I was ripping up the corn fields on Saturday and doing some hard steer maneuvers at full speed. Its funny cuz I was thinking the locked wheels give it MORE stability than I remember it before. with the sway bar removed it use to lean pretty hard at high speed turns before. not tip over but did feel uncomfortable. I got to thinking that the inside wheel on whichever way you were turning into would have slightly more resistance to the ground and may in fact set the machine up to stay more level in the turns. it needs more testing for this theory. Also my ice drive testing was amazing. It had complete control in 4wd. if it got squirrelly you just gas it and steer that straightened it out every time. I never thought about testing with my snowplow on .. lol I was to eager to get it off the put the spool in. I do suspect turning with extra 100lbs cantilevered over the axle would have to make it more difficult to turn.. You would have dam good traction though. lol I will have to test this and report back.
JWB I cant wait to hear your unbiased opinion. You are my first judge. Show us what p5 is capable of...
I have mailed your spool off today.
PS sign me up for TURBO. Love that stuff

Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Notre-Dame de la Salette, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Hey JWB
I was ripping up the corn fields on Saturday and doing some hard steer maneuvers at full speed. Its funny cuz I was thinking the locked wheels give it MORE stability than I remember it before. with the sway bar removed it use to lean pretty hard at high speed turns before. not tip over but did feel uncomfortable. I got to thinking that the inside wheel on whichever way you were turning into would have slightly more resistance to the ground and may in fact set the machine up to stay more level in the turns. it needs more testing for this theory. Also my ice drive testing was amazing. It had complete control in 4wd. if it got squirrelly you just gas it and steer that straightened it out every time. I never thought about testing with my snowplow on .. lol I was to eager to get it off the put the spool in. I do suspect turning with extra 100lbs cantilevered over the axle would have to make it more difficult to turn.. You would have dam good traction though. lol I will have to test this and report back.
JWB I cant wait to hear your unbiased opinion. You are my first judge. Show us what p5 is capable of...
I think I'm getting a woody...

Livinthelegend

Livinthelegend

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
Hey JWB

It might be a good idea to get one sent to @jay_man81 so he can do a video install of it. I know he is going to the upcoming takeover event as well, so it would make for good testing and video.

hondasrule

hondasrule

Feb 27, 2017
ontario
Ownership

1. 500
It might be a good idea to get one sent to @jay_man81 so he can do a video install of it. I know he is going to the upcoming takeover event as well, so it would make for good testing and video.
ABSOLUTLY. His should be ready for shipping by Thursday. What's this takeover event? Curious?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!